U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 11:11 PM

4,676 posts, read 6,225,576 times

Advertisements

Is there such a thing as fake phones? The way a Rolex can be fake?

Would you buy a phone from Ebay if you could save a good $100.00 or more..(Assuming the seller has an excellent feedback record and the phone seems to be in excellent shape).

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 11:27 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times
I've bought phones on eBay and there's nothing wrong with it. eBay has an aggressive "item not as described" policy. It makes it easier to resolve problems in the event the phone is fake or not functioning as it should.

I'm not sure about AT&T and T-Mobile, but Verizon and Sprint will not activate fake phones for you. They know the ESN of every phone they ever sold. If the ESN of the phone you purchased is not in their database, they will immediately tell you.

Speaking of ESN, these companies blacklist phones that were stolen and/or not paid off. So the key term to look for when purchasing a phone (for verizon and sprint, at least) is to make sure it has a "clean ESN". If the phone has a clean ESN, it should be activatable by the carrier. You'll be able to test this for sure the day you get the phone. However, one way to save yourself time is to ask the seller for the ESN upfront before purchasing. Then call the carrier and verify it.

Like with every eBay purchase, use caution. Make sure to identify sellers that meet your desired criteria. I like to look for sellers that have good ratings and have been active sellers for more than a few years.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:38 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,019,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I like to look for sellers that have good ratings and have been active sellers for more than a few years.
Probably the reason I didn't have any problem selling my "clean ESN" Verizon Galaxy S3 last month for $320... a great price for a year old Android phone near the end of its resale life.

I've been an Ebay member since 2000... hundreds of positive feedback... 100%.

I'll do the same thing next September when I sell my 5s... will be even easier given the high resale value of iPhones.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:21 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,563,969 times
i would ask the seller for the esn and if there willing to give the esn up then that means that there legit if not id'e run from em and once you get the esc providing that they give it to you then i would run it to make sure that theres no money owed on it and it's not black listed

Old 10-25-2013, 12:59 AM

141 posts, read 404,900 times
Start reading seller's feedback. Read the negatives, filter out obvious jerks and sum it up. Then read positives and neutral. Search for the product that you are considering buying. Ask questions and expect concrete answers. If the seller does not answer your question straight or answers like "i dunno" or "if ur concerned about this better by from sumon else, bye", skip it. If the feedbacks look reassuring and the answers from the seller look groovy, bid and buy. Once you get the goods, check them out thoroughly. If something wrong, contact the seller, in about 100% of the cases they are happy to resolve it before it escalates. In worst case, you can start dispute with eBay. In many years of buying all kinds of stuff including high-end electronics on eBay, I had to escalate to eBay just once and it was ruled in my favor, I got my money back. No sweat.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:12 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,516,174 times
I have only bought phones that have come directly from the owners and only from owners with all good feedback.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:31 AM

14,514 posts, read 16,536,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

Speaking of ESN, these companies blacklist phones that were stolen and/or not paid off. So the key term to look for when purchasing a phone (for verizon and sprint, at least) is to make sure it has a "clean ESN". If the phone has a clean ESN, it should be activatable by the carrier. You'll be able to test this for sure the day you get the phone. However, one way to save yourself time is to ask the seller for the ESN upfront before purchasing. Then call the carrier and verify it.

Like with every eBay purchase, use caution. Make sure to identify sellers that meet your desired criteria. I like to look for sellers that have good ratings and have been active sellers for more than a few years.
And they still lie. I tried twice to buy a phone. One phone ended up being a drug bust phone auctioned off by some company for Georgia or something. Bad ESN. Requested a refund and got it. Since they never sent me prepaid packing or extra money I kept the phone, eventually ended up selling it for parts/use on Ghetro PCS since I had no reason to keep it and they didn't want it back. The auction said clean ESN and I mistakenly believed it. Could have been an honest mistake.

Second one I specifically asked for the ESN (lesson learned). Got the phone... same phone model, not the same phone. Bad ESN. Repeated the same process again. I never heard back from him, so I had to go through the hassle of lodging a complaint with PayPal.

Both instances were sellers with mostly (95%+ positive feedback). I've had better luck with Craiglist. You usually can talk to the person in person rather than through email and get a better sense of it. It's a hassle because you have to go there in person and conduct the transaction rather than just pay for it and have it show up on your door... but Fleabay and cellphones just haven't worked for me. Maybe I just have bad luck. Alternatively, just deal with the deadbeats that are all over Fleabay (and Craigslist). I just wouldn't recommended if you need the phone soon. In my case I had an ancient flip phone, but I couldn't get email or do anything else on it besides talk and peck out the occasional short text message.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:53 PM

3,260 posts, read 4,809,437 times
Anyone ever buy a phone on ebay from Gazelle's ebay store? As a phone/technology buyer/reseller they have some really good prices, and allegedly they've taken measures to cut down on stolen equipment. But I still wonder whether there's a catch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or