U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2013, 11:26 PM

20,611 posts, read 13,289,653 times

Advertisements

A fried of mine got a new Samsung cell that's NOT a smart phone but it has a weird power cable; not the now common tiny USB type. Is that just a "Samsung" thing or is that becoming the new standard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 05:37 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,006,893 times
Yeah their lower end non-smartphones still have this. Its not uncommon to see other cell manufacturers do this to their lower tier phones as well. There are various reasons with the main reason being cost. Not of the charger, but the board and design that was used for those inexpensive phones.

Its not a new standard, its been practice for a LONG time. Actually standardizing micro-USBs was a joint effort amongst all manufacturers several years ago. People just started collecting tons of chargers including myself. It was getting hectic.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:39 PM

1,420 posts, read 2,680,635 times
At least it's not the newer iFad phone which requires a completely different cable than the previous iPhone.

"The new port is far smaller and allows the iPhone 5 to be thinner and lighter than its predecessors, but what about all those accessories? Yep, every iPod/iPhone speaker dock, all those iPhone cables and many more of your iPhone accessories are now obsolete."

from

Five things we hate about the iPhone 5 - Good Gear Guide by PC World Australia

Old 10-30-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Yeah their lower end non-smartphones still have this. Its not uncommon to see other cell manufacturers do this to their lower tier phones as well. There are various reasons with the main reason being cost. Not of the charger, but the board and design that was used for those inexpensive phones.

Its not a new standard, its been practice for a LONG time. Actually standardizing micro-USBs was a joint effort amongst all manufacturers several years ago. People just started collecting tons of chargers including myself. It was getting hectic.
Thanks for the info. What IS weird is my LG "dumb phone" uses the now common small USB cable and I've had that for a year.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:12 PM

3,450 posts, read 6,332,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Thanks for the info. What IS weird is my LG "dumb phone" uses the now common small USB cable and I've had that for a year.
I imagine that your phone uses a "Mini" USB connection rather than the "Micro" USB used in most higher end smart phones. There are adapters to allow you to use the same cable.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I imagine that your phone uses a "Mini" USB connection rather than the "Micro" USB used in most higher end smart phones. There are adapters to allow you to use the same cable.
Not mini, it's the same plug as a smart phone so I'm guessing my LG has a micro USB.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:33 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,708,106 times
Nonstandard connectors are (fortunately) slowly going away, much like proprietary memory cards and other needlessly proprietary designs intended to extract more money from consumers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
At least it's not the newer iFad phone which requires a completely different cable than the previous iPhone.

"The new port is far smaller and allows the iPhone 5 to be thinner and lighter than its predecessors, but what about all those accessories? Yep, every iPod/iPhone speaker dock, all those iPhone cables and many more of your iPhone accessories are now obsolete."

from

Five things we hate about the iPhone 5 - Good Gear Guide by PC World Australia
Are you living in some time warp? This was something people were upset about a year ago when they changed the connector. In the time since, most people have moved on and don't really care. They certainly don't feel the need to post off topic screeds about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones