U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2013, 02:44 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,577,385 times

Advertisements

HTC introduced the EVO 3D to the consumer market via Sprint in June 2011. It was a top-of-the-tier phone then. It had a fast dual-core processor (most phones were single-core), 4.7" 960x540 screen, and most remarkably, compatibility with the pre-4G WiMAX network, two 5 megapixel cameras on the back that captured 3D photo and video, and an autostereoscopic display that was capable of displaying glasses-free 3D as long as you held it right. 3D in TVs and movie theaters was a fad at the time, so HTC took advantage of it. None of the new phones seem to have this feature.

The phone was re-released by prepaid carrier Virgin Mobile as the EVO V 4G in 2012. I bought a lightly-used model off eBay later that year for $230, before missing Virgin Mobile's reduction of the price to $150.

I was wowed by the display and the speed, though more recently it has slowed down, perhaps because I have it filled with apps that run in the background and send push notifications. Generally, however, it is fast enough for me.

Do you think my phone is now obsolete?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 10:11 AM

14,385 posts, read 21,058,877 times
Default Yes/no, it depends

All phones become obsolete the minute you drive off the lot.
A phone is never obsolete if it works for you.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:06 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,968,627 times
It's old, it's dated, and it's mostly obsolete. But if it serves your needs and you don't want to upgrade, that's perfectly fine.

Keep in mind that Sprint WIMAX (which is the 4G service on that phone), is subject to be decommissioned at anytime. Sprint initially said they would keep it up until 2015, but subtle changes to the contracts imply that they'll stop it sooner. The new contracts offer current Sprint WIMAX users free upgrades if they decommission the service. Virgin Mobile users don't get that benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones