U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:27 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,561,901 times

Advertisements

"The Q10 makes use of dark themes that help preserve battery power."

Eh, the Q10 has a backlit LCD screen and there's an unmeasurable amount of difference (plus or minus) between what colors are displayed. A bright white theme and a dark theme will use the same amount of battery.

Edit: Scratch that, I didn't know they used AMOLED. In that instance, the black theme will help.

My note 2 also lasts close to 48 hours with daily use on one charge. It's over a year old.

Out of ALL the requirements OP is looking for, the keyboard is the only real determining factor I see between dozens of different available devices. Any modern mid-end smartphone will do everything you ask.

Moto G will be out in January and looks promising for a $180 phone with no contract.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/14/te...ref=technology

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/smart...eview-hands-on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 09:31 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,561,901 times
Also check this link:

Best QWERTY Phones | Physical Keyboard Smartphone Ratings | Digital Trends Reviews

Old 11-14-2013, 11:38 AM

14,781 posts, read 36,580,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
Long story short, having issues with my Blackberry and time to move along. Here are my needs:

I have and will stay with Verizon and will likely purchase at their store.

I don't need the latest, greatest phone.

Must be able to surf basic sites with 3 G. Use google, ect. Youtube video. Nothing major.

Must have good audio recorder. Use this feature often for notes, ideas, ect.

Need daily alarm feature that is easy to use. Probably all phones have this.

Easy texting.

Won't have more than a few aps. if any.

Buying phone outright. Want to spend less than 300. Would prefer keyboard, but realize touchscreen may be the only choice. A simple phone is fine. Don't need all the bells and whistles, but need somewhat up to date tech. as I tend to keep phones a few years.
I would suggest this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I suggest the OP consider a Motorola Razr (several versions available) with the Android OS.
...in particular the Droid Razr M...

Motorola Droid RAZR M review: a very good ICS handset in a small, Kevlar-wrapped package

Quote:
The Droid RAZR M may not have come as a fresh surprise when it was officially announced, nor was it the wholly original product fruit many would've initially wanted the new Moto to bear, but it seems that's entirely intentional. MotoGoog isn't attempting a mobile revolution with the M. After all, it's merely a refresh of a recent refresh, the Droid RAZR, with a 4.3-inch qHD screen, dual-core S4, 2,000mAh battery and 8-megapixel rear camera. Instead, the companies have set their sights on creating a super-dependable smartphone for the everyperson -- one that's inoffensive in its design, pared down for comfort and easy to use on the software front.

Though the M didn't initially get the tech industry's blood pumping, this unassuming and well-crafted phone could prove to be the salve for many frustrated or casual smartphone users accustomed to confusing skins......No, the Droid RAZR M isn't for the hardcore, but it is well-suited to the wise wireless customer. Which is why Verizon might wind up with a sleeper hit on its hands.
Another couple of reviews...

Motorola Droid Razr M review | Phone Reviews | TechRadar

Motorola Droid Razr M (Verizon Wireless) Review & Rating | PCMag.com

My wife and I both have Razr M's. We could have gotten any phones we wanted, but decided on these. Here was our reasoning...

Price - We got our's for free on a two year contract and scored two $50 giftcards at the same time. On top of that it is the BEST phone hands down, that you can buy retail for $350. That's right, the Razr M only costs $350 retail, which makes it WAY less expensive than any phone that comes remotely close to its performance. That low price allowed us to ditch the now rather pricey monthly replacement insurance through Verizon.

Size - It strikes a near perfect balance in size. The thin bezel makes the screen seem larger than it is (though at 4.3" it's the same as the iPhone 5) and it's small enough to be put in a pocket without feeling like you are carrying a brick around in your pants.

Build - It features actual Gorilla glass for the screen, so it's hard to damage. The case is made out of plastic and kevlar, so again, hard to damage. It's light without feeling cheap.

Performance - It has the same processor and RAM as higher end phones. It's performance is on par with "high end" phones of the same vintage like the Galaxy SIII. Call quality is great. It has 4G LTE which is very fast. It lacks a lot of the "bloatware" that comes on other Android phones as Motorola is now owned by Google and they have trimmed down their UI. In fact, I now find that the little bit of overlay Moto puts on top of Android is pretty useful.

Battery Life - We both previously had previous generation "high end" phones like the HTC Evo. Those phones sucked the battery down like no ones business. Moto has gotten very slick lately with their batteries and have some of the best battery life out there. I can use my phone heavily (browsing on wifi and 4g, games, videos, music, calls, texts, emails, etc.) and get through an entire day and still have around 20% battery life. When not heavily using it, just a couple of calls, texts and limited browsing, we have had the battery last two days.

PS...The Moto "circles" widget that comes on the phone is great. You get a quick snapshot of battery life, weather and the time. It also allows for one tap access to the alarm feature and shows whether or not there is an alarm on.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:42 AM

43,986 posts, read 53,828,965 times
With contract, my MotoX was $200.
I love this thing.

Not too big, but the size is devoted to screen.
Intuitive.
Great 4G.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:58 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,572,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
I had considered Blackberry again. BUT, I am concerned if they go under, their phones will no longer be supported. Do you think they will have service, say 3 years from now? Seems to be an unknown.
First off, there has been a lot of turmoil over at BlackBerry over the last year, and even more so quite recently, but....BlackBerry, although struggling, is still far from dead. I heavily suggest getting your BlackBerry news from one of the dedicated sites...just google crackberry...instead of the other tech sites and mainstream news. Yes, the one you will find is a fanboi site, but, they are also the most critical of the brand they love, do not sugarcoat anything, and report the bad news that everyone else seems to ignore (as well as the good).

Secondly, with BB10, your service no longer goes through BlackBerry's/RIMs servers (so you'll no longer pay that extra $10/month "BlackBerry tax". So even if BlackBerry were to completely disappear today, your phone will still work well into the future. Of course, without any OS updates. BB10 is still acquiring new Enterprise contracts (and yes, losing a few, too) and has even earned a few new government contracts--not only with the U.S., but with other world governments. They also have $3Billion cash-on-hand (yeah, small compared to a few other handset manufacturers) and zero debt. There is a new CEO to boot (new, as in a week or so).

Also, people have been side-loading Android apps onto BlackBerry phones for a few years now. Now, with BB10, this is even easier since BB10 comes with an Android run-time not to mention that the Android run-time has been updated to include Jellybean (although not all Android apps work on BlackBerries). To keep it going, with a newly leaked version of BB10 (10.2.1.1055), you no longer need to side-load Android apps. You can now install (granted if you have the leaked version of the OS) the Amazon App Store and Mobile1 apps onto your BB10 device and download the .api files directly (instead of converting the .api to .bar files...more on that later). There has been some talk about getting the Google Play Store onto BlackBerry, which BlackBerry denied...but a bit of code has been found in the above mentioned leaked BB10 OS that has whitelisted the ability to purchase Android apps through the Google Play Store (com.android.vending).

There has also been talk, and perhaps desire, to ditch QNX (what BB10 is based on) and take BlackBerry to Android. Essential, BB10 would look and operate like BB10, but it would be an Android OS through-and-through. It remains to be seen if BlackBerry will go Android, but it is looking highly likely that Android apps will be able to not only run "natively" on BB10, but can also be purchased and installed without the need for file conversion and side-loding. With that, some recent major government contracts, and BlackBerries still being some-what popular in other parts of the world (although dwindling in Europe) outside of the U.S., a new CEO, and a host of other reasons...BlackBerry will still be around for a few years.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:59 AM

14,781 posts, read 36,580,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
With contract, my MotoX was $200.
I love this thing.

Not too big, but the size is devoted to screen.
Intuitive.
Great 4G.
That would probably be my pick at the $200 point right now. Although free is better than $200 when they will both pretty much do the same thing; which was my conondrum on the last go around, lol. However, the Moto X will probably have much longer legs as I believe it's slotted to keep getting Android flavor updates for quite a while.

Something I just thought of...

OP said they are month-to-month with Verizon right now. If that's true they may have a relatively low cost grandfathered unlimited plan. If that's the case then it may very well be worth it to them to buy a new phone outright and avoid signing a contract. The low cost on the M makes it arguably the best choice for an outright purchase.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
I like that Motorola, and even considered buying one, but, the BlackBerry keyboard simply cannot be beat. Period. RIM put so much effort into designing the darn thing that they practically overlooked the fact that most where moving onto touch-screen phones. In fact, they did and continued to do so well into their "demise". Not to mention that Q10 keyboard, like previous BlackBerry keyboards, is loaded with shortcuts and other commands that I do not think Motorola has. Heck, you can even begin to type something in any field, or abbreviated words, and certain things can happen.

I just think that if a current BlackBerry user wants a physical keyboard on the next handset purchase, it only makes sense to stick with BlackBerry considering no expressed desire (or denial) to go Android or iOS.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:43 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
Crazy.... no way anyone should be buying a Blackberry now....

Old 11-14-2013, 02:17 PM

3,449 posts, read 6,329,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Gotta agree with that.

It would be like buying a truck full of Beta Max video players or a car lot of Yugo automobiles.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
While I respect your opinion, I completely disagree with you. I am not saying that BlackBerries are for everyone, nor the best, but they are still a viable option for some and for others they really are the best mobile solution.

This all, of course, is only my opinion.

Once again it is only my opinion that someone going from a legacy BB device, such as the OP, with the limited needs that the OP has, that upgrading to a new BB10 device (the Q10...because the cheaper Q5 is not available from Verizon...or even in the U.S. that I know of) is a solid idea. I did not read the OP saying that BlackBerries suck. On the contrary; it was mentioned that the new Q10 was considered...but questioned the BlackBerry's future.

As someone who is close to the BlackBerry community, and the only obvious fanboi in this forum, I know things the average non-BlackBerry user doesn't. Yes, BB is hurting...but it still has a beating heart and cash in the bank.

If I remember correctly, BB outsold HTC, Sony, and Motorola world-wide (each individually).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or