Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 04:41 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times

Advertisements

My wife is still using a Blackberry 8520, with its ancient OS, and it is still working great. I bet it will work even if the company died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 02:50 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,701,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
"The Q10 makes use of dark themes that help preserve battery power."

Eh, the Q10 has a backlit LCD screen and there's an unmeasurable amount of difference (plus or minus) between what colors are displayed. A bright white theme and a dark theme will use the same amount of battery.

Edit: Scratch that, I didn't know they used AMOLED. In that instance, the black theme will help.

My note 2 also lasts close to 48 hours with daily use on one charge. It's over a year old.

Out of ALL the requirements OP is looking for, the keyboard is the only real determining factor I see between dozens of different available devices. Any modern mid-end smartphone will do everything you ask.

Moto G will be out in January and looks promising for a $180 phone with no contract.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/14/te...ref=technology

Motorola Moto G review - hands on | Expert Reviews
This phone looks good, but I want an actual keyboard. My current Blackberry will go 3 days on a charge. This tells you I don't use the phone all that much. I realize, even the new Q-10 is old technology. But even the I-4 would be way more than I need.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
Thanks for the link- The Motrolla Droid 3 looks good.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:35 AM

Thank you all for the replies. I wanted to repeat I want a physical keyboard, so the choices are limited. I am month to month on Verizon, so I have time. I am also not trying to start a war for or against Blackberry. I understand why many say their phones are old tech. This is my second Blackberry (9650 Bold). This one is 3 years old, and started to have a speaker problem but it is working now. I am still considering options including another Blackberry. I am used to how their phones are set up. Overall, the phones have worked well. To me 3 years using a cell, I have gotten the life out of it (the last one I used 4 years). The average cell out there today will do way more than what I need. Right now I don't have a single ap on my phone. I text, email and will do an occasional google search or watch a youtube video. That about it.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:05 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
Thank you all for the replies. I wanted to repeat I want a physical keyboard, so the choices are limited. I am month to month on Verizon, so I have time. I am also not trying to start a war for or against Blackberry. I understand why many say their phones are old tech. This is my second Blackberry (9650 Bold). This one is 3 years old, and started to have a speaker problem but it is working now. I am still considering options including another Blackberry. I am used to how their phones are set up. Overall, the phones have worked well. To me 3 years using a cell, I have gotten the life out of it (the last one I used 4 years). The average cell out there today will do way more than what I need. Right now I don't have a single ap on my phone. I text, email and will do an occasional google search or watch a youtube video. That about it.
Not to nitpick, but this was your OP...

Quote:
Long story short, having issues with my Blackberry and time to move along. Here are my needs:

I have and will stay with Verizon and will likely purchase at their store.

I don't need the latest, greatest phone.

Must be able to surf basic sites with 3 G. Use google, ect. Youtube video. Nothing major.

Must have good audio recorder. Use this feature often for notes, ideas, ect.

Need daily alarm feature that is easy to use. Probably all phones have this.

Easy texting.

Won't have more than a few aps. if any.

Buying phone outright. Want to spend less than 300. Would prefer keyboard, but realize touchscreen may be the only choice. A simple phone is fine. Don't need all the bells and whistles, but need somewhat up to date tech. as I tend to keep phones a few years
You have very limited options for physical keyboards. In fact, here is the complete list of recommended phones with a physical keyboard from all carriers...

Best QWERTY Phones | Physical Keyboard Smartphone Ratings | Digital Trends Reviews

Of those the Motorola Droid 4 is the best ranked phone for Verizon. The next would be the Blackberry offerings the Q10 and 9930. Of the Blackberry options the 9930 simply isn't worth getting as it runs BB OS7. The Q10 is basically the only realistic choice for a Blackberry. That's pretty much it for phones with a physical keyboard, two choices.

However, that brings you to the next issue which you need to think about. If you are on a month-to-month with Verizon, what are the details and pricing of your current plan? If you upgrade the phone and sign a two year contract you will have no choice but to go on a new Verizon 'share' plan. This may mean that you would lose unlimited data if you had it or that you may end up paying more per month. A single phone on a new plan is going to run you $90 a month for 1GB of data, but include unlimited calling and texts. This may be better than or significantly worse than what you now have month-to-month.

If you have a month-to-month plan with good features and pricing you will need to buy the device outright in order to preserve your plan. The Droid 4 is a $550 phone. The Blackberry Q10 is a $570 phone.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Not to nitpick, but this was your OP...

You have very limited options for physical keyboards. In fact, here is the complete list of recommended phones with a physical keyboard from all carriers...

Best QWERTY Phones | Physical Keyboard Smartphone Ratings | Digital Trends Reviews

Of those the Motorola Droid 4 is the best ranked phone for Verizon. The next would be the Blackberry offerings the Q10 and 9930. Of the Blackberry options the 9930 simply isn't worth getting as it runs BB OS7. The Q10 is basically the only realistic choice for a Blackberry. That's pretty much it for phones with a physical keyboard, two choices.

However, that brings you to the next issue which you need to think about. If you are on a month-to-month with Verizon, what are the details and pricing of your current plan? If you upgrade the phone and sign a two year contract you will have no choice but to go on a new Verizon 'share' plan. This may mean that you would lose unlimited data if you had it or that you may end up paying more per month. A single phone on a new plan is going to run you $90 a month for 1GB of data, but include unlimited calling and texts. This may be better than or significantly worse than what you now have month-to-month.

If you have a month-to-month plan with good features and pricing you will need to buy the device outright in order to preserve your plan. The Droid 4 is a $550 phone. The Blackberry Q10 is a $570 phone.
Good things to think about. I did say in my previous post I prefer a keyboard, but might have to except touchscreen. And you are right. I have 2 good choices for a keyboard phone and about 40 or more with a touch screen. I really like both the Q10 and the Droid4. My family has a family plan. I just came over from another provider. There is already a data limit that I have to adhere to, but in the last few months, we haven't come anywhere close to it. My wife has had this Verizon plan for a long time. I am not sure how it works, but they added me month to month, and can sign on for two more years when I upgrade the phone, OR can pay cash for the phone and stay month to month. 550-570 is a lot, but considering I keep my phones 3-4 years, that seems reasonable.

Thank you for your input NJGOAT.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:40 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Good things to think about. I did say in my previous post I prefer a keyboard, but might have to except touchscreen. And you are right. I have 2 good choices for a keyboard phone and about 40 or more with a touch screen. I really like both the Q10 and the Droid4. My family has a family plan. I just came over from another provider. There is already a data limit that I have to adhere to, but in the last few months, we haven't come anywhere close to it. My wife has had this Verizon plan for a long time. I am not sure how it works, but they added me month to month, and can sign on for two more years when I upgrade the phone, OR can pay cash for the phone and stay month to month. 550-570 is a lot, but considering I keep my phones 3-4 years, that seems reasonable.

Thank you for your input NJGOAT.
I am fairly certain that you are on month-to-month because you brought your own phone. As soon as you get a Q10, Droid4, or what-ever-phone you get, you will be put into a two-year contract...unless you pay for the phone outright of course.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I am fairly certain that you are on month-to-month because you brought your own phone. As soon as you get a Q10, Droid4, or what-ever-phone you get, you will be put into a two-year contract...unless you pay for the phone outright of course.
This is correct..

Old 11-17-2013, 07:12 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
This is correct..
I am on a family plan with Verizon, but got the EDGE thing going. It's not as straight-forward as T-Mo's no-contract plan, but I am still not locked into a contract with Verizon. It might be worth looking into.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:09 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I am on a family plan with Verizon, but got the EDGE thing going. It's not as straight-forward as T-Mo's no-contract plan, but I am still not locked into a contract with Verizon. It might be worth looking into.

Verizon and AT&T's early upgrade plans are gigantic ripoffs. You're better off paying for the devices outright, then selling them when you want to upgrade.

Verizon's Edge phone upgrade plan is the same bad ripoff as AT&T Next | The Verge

It's not very straightforward because it's designed to get you to go along with the idea of having them extract more money from your wallet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones