U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-07-2013, 04:33 AM
 
1,320 posts, read 3,202,889 times
Reputation: 941

Advertisements

Long story short, having issues with my Blackberry and time to move along. Here are my needs:

I have and will stay with Verizon and will likely purchase at their store.

I don't need the latest, greatest phone.

Must be able to surf basic sites with 3 G. Use google, ect. Youtube video. Nothing major.

Must have good audio recorder. Use this feature often for notes, ideas, ect.

Need daily alarm feature that is easy to use. Probably all phones have this.

Easy texting.

Won't have more than a few aps. if any.

Buying phone outright. Want to spend less than 300. Would prefer keyboard, but realize touchscreen may be the only choice. A simple phone is fine. Don't need all the bells and whistles, but need somewhat up to date tech. as I tend to keep phones a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-07-2013, 03:58 PM
 
Location: 92037
4,631 posts, read 9,006,893 times
Reputation: 1946
$300 or less wont get you too much. Or it would mean having to get an older phone via Amazon.

I would suggest getting something like this. Its in the prepaid class but within your budget and needs.

LG Optimus Zone Prepaid for Verizon Wireless Prepaid - Wirefly.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2013, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
8,680 posts, read 9,457,365 times
Reputation: 13850
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
Long story short, having issues with my Blackberry and time to move along. Here are my needs:

I have and will stay with Verizon and will likely purchase at their store.

I don't need the latest, greatest phone.

Must be able to surf basic sites with 3 G. Use google, ect. Youtube video. Nothing major.

Must have good audio recorder. Use this feature often for notes, ideas, ect.

Need daily alarm feature that is easy to use. Probably all phones have this.

Easy texting.

Won't have more than a few aps. if any.

Buying phone outright. Want to spend less than 300. Would prefer keyboard, but realize touchscreen may be the only choice. A simple phone is fine. Don't need all the bells and whistles, but need somewhat up to date tech. as I tend to keep phones a few years.
Since you don't get a break on monthly charges if you buy a phone outright, it would make no financial sense to buy a phone outright. Better to get a good smartphone for $100 with contract-esp since you intend to stay with Verizon. Worst case scenerio: if you break your contract after a year the ETF will be about $170 and the phone is yours to keep. Cost $270 for a $600 phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 10:30 AM
 
1,320 posts, read 3,202,889 times
Reputation: 941
Update:

I found out I am on month to month with Verizon. I will sign a 2 year deal. That should open up more choices. If you could spend 200 dollars in this situation, now what would you get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
34,316 posts, read 59,648,976 times
Reputation: 33438
Nokia Lumia 928 Black

$99.00 so you can pick up a few accessories and stay under budget
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Ocala, FL
3,450 posts, read 6,332,666 times
Reputation: 3076
I suggest the OP consider a Motorola Razr (several versions available) with the Android OS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Raleigh
8,066 posts, read 6,134,482 times
Reputation: 9830
Tiger Direct set us up with Samsung Galaxy III on a renewal contract for $40 for the phone. A new contract is $20, your choice of colors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
8,680 posts, read 9,457,365 times
Reputation: 13850
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
Update:

I found out I am on month to month with Verizon. I will sign a 2 year deal. That should open up more choices. If you could spend 200 dollars in this situation, now what would you get?
Somebody has to suggest the iPhone 5s so I will. I have the 5 and love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 02:03 PM
 
347 posts, read 421,073 times
Reputation: 134
iPhone is a good default for the people that want simple.

Droid DNA is a Verizon only phone with a big screen size in the 5 inch range.

Price range of $200 is a difficult one to pick from unless you want an average brand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2013, 06:24 AM
 
1,320 posts, read 3,202,889 times
Reputation: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyexpat View Post
iPhone is a good default for the people that want simple.

Droid DNA is a Verizon only phone with a big screen size in the 5 inch range.

Price range of $200 is a difficult one to pick from unless you want an average brand?
This is the problem. With a 2 year plan and spending 200 dollars, I have more than 50 choices. Perhaps I should cut that to 100 dollars. Really for me, simple is better. I don't do anything fancy. Battery power is important. BUT I have to remember some that complain about their batteries are on their phone all day. I use mine maybe an hour a day, and my Blackberry can go 3 days on a charge. Love that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:39 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top