U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 11:16 AM

347 posts, read 421,073 times

Advertisements

HTC cameras got better when the "ONE X" line of phones came out 2012.

HTC EVO 4G from 2010 looks similar to these photos. The HTC INSPIRE is from 2011.

the Current HTC "ONE" from 2013 reportedly has less pixels but they allow for more light to get through in low light situations.

But overall what I recommend is to never rely on phone cameras even though the current line of phones from 2013 are the best right now in terms of smart phones.

get yourself a real good point and shoot camera so that no matter what phone you buy, picture QUALITY will never be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 12:56 PM

2,494 posts, read 4,770,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
Yes, this. It definitely looks overly compressed.

The camera app has a setting for how much compression to apply before storing the file. Look for a "quality" setting in your options. It could be set for maximum compression/minimum file size. Go for max quality instead. If that slows down the camera app too much, or if you're getting low on free space, go for medium quality, and it will still be better than that.

Another possible source of compression is from the messaging app. If you're using the built-in messaging app to send these photos to your computer's e-mail, it might further compress the jpeg file before it sends the MMS message. Try using the phone's email app instead (send the photo as an attachment), or else hook up the phone's USB cable to your computer and copy the files directly.
I transfer photos from the phone to computer in two ways - gmail attachments, or a website called postimage.org, which is a simple image file storage thing. After using both, I see the same quality in the photos.

My camera is set to resolution 3M (2048 x something) - the actual jpgs are about 700-800K, is that normal?

I don't see a compression setting.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:27 PM

347 posts, read 421,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I transfer photos from the phone to computer in two ways - gmail attachments, or a website called postimage.org, which is a simple image file storage thing. After using both, I see the same quality in the photos.

My camera is set to resolution 3M (2048 x something) - the actual jpgs are about 700-800K, is that normal?

I don't see a compression setting.
If you tried everything to get better quality photos and STILL get those type of pictures it's the camera.

Your phone is from 2011 and there is a big difference in 2 years. (and I am not making fun of you when I say it's from 2011 as there are big differences sometimes between just a 1 year old phone.)

You are wasting energy "hoping" it will get better as I get a new phone every two years and can testify that as years go by cameras get better.

I am afraid that you have reached the limit of your camera that's all.

Try to invest in a Canon point and shoot camera, you won't regret or care about your quality of phone pictures again.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:03 PM

40,255 posts, read 41,823,633 times
Quote:
There is two ways to reduce file size, you can use a smaller size photo or use more compression. The compression is sliding scale usually given in %. A 3MP image using 90% image quality is usually around 1.2 to 1.3 MB's. 75% is in the 700KB range.

54KB @90% :

33KB @75%:

Side by side blown up (note the first one is actually 100% but there is very little difference between 100% and 90%):

Old 11-11-2013, 12:58 PM

I just took photos of the same thing, with the res set to 3M, 5M and 8M. I saw no difference at all in the three photos, even when zoomed.

You see the the blue car in the original photo? Those rough marks and dots are the problem.
When I took photos of the sky, the sky gradually changes shade from one place to another. But in the photos there is not a smooth gradient. There is instead a lot of hatch marks, gross. Would rather not post them but the blue car gives you the idea.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:18 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,006,893 times
Quote:
I just took photos of the same thing, with the res set to 3M, 5M and 8M. I saw no difference at all in the three photos, even when zoomed.

You see the the blue car in the original photo? Those rough marks and dots are the problem.
When I took photos of the sky, the sky gradually changes shade from one place to another. But in the photos there is not a smooth gradient. There is instead a lot of hatch marks, gross. Would rather not post them but the blue car gives you the idea.
Its your sensor. Even though I understand what everyone else was talking about regarding the compression, while that is the other part of it, the sensor basically is blowing out the photos and not able to measure light correctly.

robert, I dont think you will really see much improvement at this point. One of the issues you are having is called highlighting. Typically if you shoot in a shadowy area while it is bright all around, you will get this kind of weird color smudging or wash out.

Its the type of sensor that is in there, which at that time was average.

Lumia PureView line have the best of the lot in terms of photo quality. I would say the new Xperia line, iPhone 4S+, Samasung SGS3 are leaps and bounds better for photo quality compared with yours. Its just how it is.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:25 PM

39,918 posts, read 57,756,731 times
There must be something really wrong with that camera or your settings. Or maybe you cropped your photo just too much? ( like took the pix from far away )
Here are examples of pix taken with the HTC Inspire:
HTC Inspire 4G Review - Camera, Multimedia, Connectivity and Internet

It looks like a pretty good phone cam to me...
Phone cams are not too great with low light, but your pix seems to be taken during a day.

Quote:
Lumia PureView line have the best of the lot in terms of photo quality. I would say the new Xperia line, iPhone 4S+, Samasung SGS3 are leaps and bounds better for photo quality compared with yours. Its just how it is.
Nokia is great, it has the best phone cam, but other phones are not that bad as shown on your picture.
This is a picture taken with Nokia8, inside a restaurant. No photoshoped or otherwise enhanced:

Ruggles Green Goat Cheese Salad with Atlantic Salmon by elnina999, on Flickr

and this one with Nexus 4:

Market Hall, or Hala Targowa 1896 by elnina999, on Flickr
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 11-11-2013 at 05:06 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 04:51 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,006,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
There must be something really wrong with that camera or your settings. Or maybe you cropped your photo just too much? ( like took the pix from far away )
Here are examples of pix taken with the HTC Inspire:
HTC Inspire 4G Review - Camera, Multimedia, Connectivity and Internet

It looks like a pretty good phone cam to me...
Phone cams are not too great with low light, but your pix seems to be taken during a day.
Exactly.

robert. Back up your phone and just factory reset the darned thing.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:06 PM

40,255 posts, read 41,823,633 times
Quote:

Each of those photos should be progressively larger in file size. 3MP should be something like 2000*1500. The image you posted is .5MP.

The issue with that original image isn't the MP, it's the compression, something wrong with the camera or it's just a really bad camera.

Again look for a setting for image quality, not the MP.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:14 PM

Why is a cell phone camera so limited compared with a camera camera, is it just the size?

PS I found the term I was thinking of - dithering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or