U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 04:02 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,006,893 times

Advertisements

Lens+Sensor+Processor

All generally much smaller on a cell phone.

Ever wonder why those giant telefoto lenses are used in sports events and not cell phone cameras by pros?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 04:42 PM

14,519 posts, read 16,546,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Lens+Sensor+Processor

All generally much smaller on a cell phone.

Ever wonder why those giant telefoto lenses are used in sports events and not cell phone cameras by pros?
Giant telephoto lenses are used to zoom in, which isn't generally how people use their cell phone cameras. I never use my cell phone camera to take pictures of things happening across a football field any more than I would use a giant telephoto lens to take selfies. As far as simple point and shoot, cell phone cameras are pretty much good enough at this point.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:11 PM

16,724 posts, read 29,324,467 times
The phones that incorporate the top of the line cameras today aren't that great unless you know about what works relating to taking photos. But even so, one can use some of the numerous apps used to enhance or post process photos. For example, a great number of street photographers are using the iPhone and other smartphones to produce award-winning photographs. Just search the Internet for, "smartphone photography," and you will find plenty of examples.

But it seems that the most famous photographs are being taken with the iPhone, although I don't know if the reason for this is the great number of apps you can use with it, or just because of Apple marketing.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:02 PM

2,494 posts, read 4,770,787 times
On a real digital camera, when you zoom, the lens actually moves in or out but after a certain point, it's just optical zoom, which has poor quality. With a smartphone camera, is it all just optical zoom and not real zoom?

Should you expect the quality to go down when you zoom a lot on a smartphone camera?

Old 11-17-2013, 02:14 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,708,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
On a real digital camera, when you zoom, the lens actually moves in or out but after a certain point, it's just optical zoom, which has poor quality. With a smartphone camera, is it all just optical zoom and not real zoom?

Should you expect the quality to go down when you zoom a lot on a smartphone camera?
Optical zoom is real zoom.

Digital zoom makes your pictures look like crap. All you're really doing is cropping the image and then resizing the small version to be bigger, so of course it looks terrible.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:21 PM

2,494 posts, read 4,770,787 times
I'm sorry, my comment on "optical zoom" was backwards.

What I meant was, on a real camera, after you zoom a certain amount, it becomes digital zoom which gives you less resolution. (I have a Nikon 2M camera from 2004.) - is that true on all real cameras?
On smartphones only, is there both digital zoom and optical zoom.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:50 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,968,972 times
Only Digital on most. There are 2 or 3 that have Optical.

Or you could just buy this. Problem solved.

Sony DSC-QX100 and QX10 lens cameras bring top-notch optics to any smartphone or tablet, we go hands-on (video)

Old 11-18-2013, 10:52 PM

39,918 posts, read 57,756,731 times
^^^ Looks like they get pretty bad reviews.

Amazon.com: Sony DSC-QX10/B Smartphone Attachable 4.45-44.5mm Lens-Style Camera: SONY: Camera & Photo
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or