U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 06:10 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 6,824,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
As an insider, the growth has been steady and strong. The problem is, these days, if its not breaking some kind of barrier its a non entity. While there is obvisouly some validity to that, its more on the adoption rate as it relates to retention rate.

So while MSFT is growing, they are also keeping customers and the customers are very happy. Go ahead and look at just abut any review for a Nokia Windows Phone on Amazon.

Personally I have used them for the past 2+ years and think they are great for what I need it for. But the reality for someone like me is, that I go through new phones every 30 days as an average and not just on one operating system or carrier. Whereas perhaps an average consumer might trade up every two years. They want something that is upgradeable and high tech for as long as possible for obvious reasons.

My whole family is using WP. Its not that there is one better than the other, but like many tools out there, once someone shows firsthand how something is done or how easy it is, clearly that is a tangible benefit to them.
A salesperson pushing a Galaxy S4 on selling some new whizbang feature is neat, but not so sure how well that salesman could push other devices or OSs. Its not fair in many ways, but definitely its worth doing some due diligence.

For the record, my 60+ year old father in law was given a Lumia 925 coming from a LG feature phone for years. The amount of stuff on the 925 is mind boggling to him. The reason I am mentioning this is that not everyone reads tech blogs or is at the bleeding edge of mobile technology. What exists now for someone that is an average user, even on e Windows Phone, is pretty impressive and should hold someone like that over for quite some time.
I was actually an IBMer for a long time before going out on my own. IBM on the software side at least, is notorious for "not getting it" when it comes to marketing. Which is why MS has eaten their lunch on the app side for a couple decades. Now enter the Mobile area, and MS doesn't seem to bring anything new. It seems to be their selling point is Office integration - but the average consumer doesn't really care, and definitely the tween/teenager doesn't care - that's something their parents use.

At best case it seems like it's a platform to at least honor from a porting point of view, just to say that you run there, but the software ecosystem for WinMobile platform can't sustain and attract real developer critical mass. It's very ironic in that MS built it's Windows and Office universe around attracting 3rd party devs by making it extremely lucrative for them. It's just not there in the mobile space. I think they have the brain power but they may have to many "old heads" who are getting in the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 06:46 PM

34,317 posts, read 59,648,976 times
Default "Windows Phone is small, but growing at healthy rates."

Rumors of the demise are premature, methinks.

10 million app transactions daily, along with 500 new apps daily?
3 billion app downloads to date?

MS is gaining momentum, it would surely seem:

Windows Phone Now Sees 10M Transactions And 500 New Apps Daily, Has Served 3B Total Downloads | TechCrunch

Old 11-21-2013, 04:25 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,006,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Rumors of the demise are premature, methinks.

10 million app transactions daily, along with 500 new apps daily?
3 billion app downloads to date?

MS is gaining momentum, it would surely seem:

Windows Phone Now Sees 10M Transactions And 500 New Apps Daily, Has Served 3B Total Downloads | TechCrunch
Spot on Mike. Look I have never seen in any quotes from MSFT that they were looking to unseat Android or iOS. The one thing they have always said, is that there is room from a 3rd eco-system and I think so far they are proving that quarter by quarter with the help of Nokia who have championed the OS.

So yeah, again its the point and click society we have, where it seems, if you arent hitting a homerun right off the bat is doomed to fail. I just dont think its that easy, because smart devices are becoming less about the device and more about the system it belongs in.

This is clearly where Blackberry is missing. Its no that they made bad devices, its just they werent part of the bigger data picture.
Google and MSFT both have that huge data on people. Will MSFT be 'cool' maybe/maybe not. But definitely they have a marketing problem or an image problem.

It should be interesting to see what direction they go in. But I do think they are on top of it sooner rather than later. Yes they missed the iBoat wave, but there will be another wave coming, its just a matter of who will be championing that wave.

The funny part is, MSFT makes more money from Android licensing fees than they from their own OS. So far as that goes, its a total win/win for them

Old 11-21-2013, 08:01 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,305,853 times
i have one windows phone 7.8 and three windows phone 8 devices; and a blackberry. i'm completely happy with them.

stopped by at&t to check out the nokia 1520 after reading reviews, but its just way too freakin big. no way i could use that daily.

i do have a big complaint though, and that's .pdf rendering. idk if its the hardware or software, but its terrible on all of my devices. a random thing i do like is that it can extract .zip files from email, which i get a lot of with documents. couldn't do that on an iphone. . . not sure if there is an app for it but the iphone wouldn't open a .zip file with native software.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:49 PM

335 posts, read 1,159,667 times
I have a HTC 8XTC from work.Getting more pleased with it every day. So much so that I am planning to get the Nokia 1520 soon and leaving the Android world. Really like the seamless syncing with my laptop.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach.guy View Post
So much so that I am planning to get the Nokia 1520 soon....
Have you seen it in person? it is MASSIVE!

i'm going to sit tight and see if they come out w/ a quad-core variant of the 9xx or 10xx series; i'd like to see something in that form factor w/ the same hardware specs as the 1520. and either expandable storage or 64GB included.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:55 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,575,431 times
Quote:
As an insider, the growth has been steady and strong. The problem is, these days, if its not breaking some kind of barrier its a non entity. While there is obvisouly some validity to that, its more on the adoption rate as it relates to retention rate.

So while MSFT is growing, they are also keeping customers and the customers are very happy. Go ahead and look at just abut any review for a Nokia Windows Phone on Amazon.
What is interesting is that not long ago people scoffed at Windows phones. Now, of course there was, and still is, the die-hards, but in general Windows handsets were not well received by the tech sites. The reason: lack of an app ecosystem. Then, the price of W8 phones, drops, handsets begin to sell at a higher rate, and the apps came in like hotcakes. Of course W8 phones are now getting good reviews. All of this sounds familiar...with BB10...except for the lowering of price and positive reviews.

BB10 initially received good press, but actual reviews stunk. I would guess many people got tired of the wait and perhaps would have been more favorable if BB had only released BB10 on time. Every tech site and news outlet gives BB10 a bad review, for the most part, yet if you check the user comments sections they are full of users saying things BB10 is awesome! and Did you actually use the device? It's the best mobile experience I have had to date and I have owned X-number of Android phones and an iPhone!.

Eh. Nobody cares unless you are popular.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:52 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,006,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
Have you seen it in person? it is MASSIVE!

i'm going to sit tight and see if they come out w/ a quad-core variant of the 9xx or 10xx series; i'd like to see something in that form factor w/ the same hardware specs as the 1520. and either expandable storage or 64GB included.
It is massive. I have been using for the past several months

I can tell you one thing. I cant go back to the 1020 or other smaller screen device anymore. Honestly I never thought I would like this 6" screen but its great to have.

As far as it fitting in the pocket, surprisingly I have not any issues in the back pocket or even front pocket. Yeah you notice it at first, I wont sugarcoat that. But really even for someone like me who is a pretty straightforward user with no fluff, this does work well.

I cant confirm or deny whether or not there is a quad core variant coming out. But I can say that generally speaking around this time of the year, its slow in R&D for almost all companies. Its just part of the product cycle. Right now, we are all finalizing product lists and budgets for the upcoming year.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:

oohhhhhhh.

well i've got the 520, 920, and 1020 right now. the 1520 seems to have all the right stuff; i just can't do the large screen.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:41 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,562,198 times
Quote:

I can tell you one thing. I cant go back to the 1020 or other smaller screen device anymore. Honestly I never thought I would like this 6" screen but its great to have.

As far as it fitting in the pocket, surprisingly I have not any issues in the back pocket or even front pocket. Yeah you notice it at first, I wont sugarcoat that. But really even for someone like me who is a pretty straightforward user with no fluff, this does work well.

I cant confirm or deny whether or not there is a quad core variant coming out. But I can say that generally speaking around this time of the year, its slow in R&D for almost all companies. Its just part of the product cycle. Right now, we are all finalizing product lists and budgets for the upcoming year.
Bang on impression that I got from my note 2. I cannot go back to a smaller device, I work with iPhones and smaller androids and blackberries daily and I always yearn for my big note 2 keyboard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones