U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 09:33 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,005,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Not unexpected.
Windows Phone has just under 4% market share. So, one would hardly expect to see them every where. But, my 1520 is an attention getter, and I have had a few people stop me tell me that it or the 1020 will be their next phone.

I swapped the Galaxy S3, and wouldn't consider going back to it at this point.
Mike, thats awesome you got it and like it!

You are totally right about the attention part. My wife has just as many stories to share about taking pics with it and people asking 'what phone is that?'. Most freak from the size of course and the wonderment about how it fits in the pocket. I have not had any issues and most folks are intrigued after we 'demo' it for them

I am not surprised about adoption rates either. These things can take some time, but with the brutal competitiveness in the cellphone space I am sure in the long run, it will work out really well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 08:36 AM

34,313 posts, read 59,633,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Mike, thats awesome you got it and like it!

You are totally right about the attention part. My wife has just as many stories to share about taking pics with it and people asking 'what phone is that?'. Most freak from the size of course and the wonderment about how it fits in the pocket. I have not had any issues and most folks are intrigued after we 'demo' it for them

I am not surprised about adoption rates either. These things can take some time, but with the brutal competitiveness in the cellphone space I am sure in the long run, it will work out really well.
I hung in there to get the red version...
People notice it. I'm 6'5", with the meat hooks to go with that height, so reviewers who get lost on the size of the device without actually doing a tech review on the capabilities really lose me.

I checked a text in an elevator the other day, and another passenger got all excited and asked me if it was the new 1520.

Him: You like it?
Me: Yes, and I got the wife the 920.
Him: Great. I have the 920 and the 1520 is soon going to be my next phone.

MSFT product placement in TV and movies is gangbusters right now. Tablets and computers mostly. I wonder when they will push Nokia phones in entertainment media, or if I am just missing it.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:21 AM

13,779 posts, read 9,284,325 times
I had a Lumia 1020 and sold it after 3 months. Windows Phone just not for me. It feels too much like iOS in terms of work flow. I feel too boxed in and locked down by the interface and not enough freedom to configure the phone to my own taste. The camera was the best part but everything else it was decent. Not enough features and apps that would win me over.

The Outlook mail app needs to be more customize-able, Outlook mail on the desktop is great but why can't the Outlook mail app be more customize-able. It felt too locked down like iOS and didn't have as many features as some Android mail apps such as landscape view.

I hate how task switching works on this phone it is about as poorly implemented as iOS but worst. I really wished MS would made the interface more like the Win7 Start menu that you can have desktop icons and apps in a start menu instead of this use tiles and requires management to move it around.

Android has the smartphone OS won because it is so configurable.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:29 PM

34,313 posts, read 59,633,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I had a Lumia 1020 and sold it after 3 months. Windows Phone just not for me. It feels too much like iOS in terms of work flow. I feel too boxed in and locked down by the interface and not enough freedom to configure the phone to my own taste. The camera was the best part but everything else it was decent. Not enough features and apps that would win me over.

The Outlook mail app needs to be more customize-able, Outlook mail on the desktop is great but why can't the Outlook mail app be more customize-able. It felt too locked down like iOS and didn't have as many features as some Android mail apps such as landscape view.

I hate how task switching works on this phone it is about as poorly implemented as iOS but worst. I really wished MS would made the interface more like the Win7 Start menu that you can have desktop icons and apps in a start menu instead of this use tiles and requires management to move it around.

Android has the smartphone OS won because it is so configurable.

Outlook not viewable in landscape view? I have no problem with that with the 920 or the 1520. Did you have autorotation turned off?

Since I have no IOS experience at all, and like the fluidity of Windows Phone much more than the lagginess and bugginess of Android, I guess the old "That's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors" rule applies.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:43 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,706,729 times
Quote:
I really wished MS would made the interface more like the Win7 Start menu that you can have desktop icons and apps in a start menu instead of this use tiles and requires management to move it around.
Swipe left? It's not at all clear what you want. Are you looking for an actual start button, like the old, terrible Windows Mobile? MS dumped that for a reason - it was nearly unusable on a phone.

It seems like Microsoft has given you pretty much exactly what you claim to want. Desktop icons (tiles) and a menu with a list of all your programs. And they've done so in a manner that isn't miserable to interact with on a small touchscreen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones