Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 11:29 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,517,673 times

Advertisements

I've been asking this for a while but still seems the same. Anyone other than a Microsoft tech,admin,dev or in IT have a Windows Phone? Only people I see with it are men in the IT business who seem to wanna make it work. I don't see the average person go out of their way to get one, or even more important any tweens or teenagers wanting one because it's cool.

Seems like a Zombie, it's out there but no life behind it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 11:32 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,859,553 times
Both my brothers have them and several people that I work with have them that aren't in an IT field.

Windows Phone has around 3.8% market share right now. It's rare, but it's out there.

What is the purpose behind the question, if I may ask? You seem to have a predisposition about the subject, do you think WP is worthless and trying to be trendy? Why is that?

Old 11-18-2013, 12:01 PM

43,032 posts, read 76,548,777 times
If Sprint has this in March, I may have one.

Nokia Lumia 1520 review: the best Windows Phone device yet

Old 11-18-2013, 12:25 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,398,032 times
My neighbors have one, but they aren't that tech savvy and frankly a bit gullible. The salesguy pitched them a Galaxy S2 last Christmas and they are happy, and their needs are simple, relative to most. Think they have ATT.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:01 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,632,831 times
We have a bunch in our family: I'm the sole Android user, but I'm in IT and more techy than most of them.

Both of my sons (17 and 21) have them, and like them. They are both techy, and could have had any phone they wanted at each upgrade. Both chose the Windows Phone 7 phones when they were new, and chose to stay with WP going from 7.5 to 8 earlier in the year. Both had WiMo phones when they were younger prior to iPhone or Android even existing.

My wife has one (7.5) because she saw the boys phones a few years ago and liked them. She may go to Android for her next one, but hasn't decided yet. She's not techy at all, but also likes her Win8 laptop just fine (she says it's just like the phone, so she doesn't see what the fuss is about!).

Both of my parents, and my MIL have them (again, decided on them after seeing the ones my kids had).

My MIL is the least technical person on the planet, and probably doesn't even use any feature of the phone other than making calls and texts. She probably couldn't even tell you that it's a Windows Phone.

My Parents were Palm Phone users, and like the Windows Phones well enough. Dad recently moved to a new WP8 phone after breaking his old one, and Mom says shes going to once the price comes down a bit (won't part with $50). I think they stay with them because they have everything working the way they want, and could make them work similar to how they made the Palm Phones work. They are sort of technical users (they've had computers since the Commodore 64, and use them every day), but see them as tools, and nothing more.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
My neighbors have one, but they aren't that tech savvy and frankly a bit gullible. The salesguy pitched them a Galaxy S2 last Christmas and they are happy, and their needs are simple, relative to most. Think they have ATT.
An S2 doesn't run Windows Phone, unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:57 PM

Now that I am getting better at uploading custom ROM's to droid there almost no way I would get a Windows phone. Heck if Linux was better supported, or I had more time, to learn code, I would rid myself of windoze completely. I will say I am run W8.1 right now as I type and it's pretty good, if you have a lot of horsepower to run. Don't even think about it with an I3 or less your puter will just choke. Apple makes great, very expensive products, and the whole closed OS no go for me.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
An S2 doesn't run Windows Phone, unless I'm misunderstanding you.
Well I will have to check when I get back in town. Maybe an S3 who knows?

Old 11-18-2013, 02:06 PM

16,455 posts, read 19,480,024 times
The Bartender where I go for lunch some times has one. She went into VZW and just asked for a Camera with a really good phone.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Well I will have to check when I get back in town. Maybe an S3 who knows?
The Galaxy line (S2, S3, S4, Note, etc) all run android.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones