U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 12:30 PM

10,123 posts, read 14,362,515 times

Advertisements

I was reading on XDA forums that some have thought of the same as me. Get a Note 3, keyboard and monitor and replace antiquated puter with Note 3 it definitely has the horsepower.

One thing I can't figure out is this, hopefully some tekkie can? The Note 3 is quad core processor, how does it dissipate heat effectively. No fans or vent slots like laptop so I wonder if you really tried to use it in replace of a laptop if the CPU would overheat all the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 12:47 PM

3,450 posts, read 6,332,666 times
Personally I don't think it is a realistic option as a desktop/laptop replacement. Doesn't have adequate storage and software compatibility as a Windows or Mac computer. Note 3 is adequate for internet browsing/email/gaming/video but it just isn't a full blown computer.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:57 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,562,198 times
Eh.... SOC isn't comparable to desktop processors. Mobile processors are designed to be slower, use less energy and do as few tasks as possible to complete a job (RISC type design) while desktop processors don't have to be so throttled (CISC type design). Smartphone processors create MUCH less heat because they're designed that way. They also produce MUCH less work per cycle in the process.

You can use your phone all day long and it'll get hot but it won't overheat, the phone will just slow down and if it DOES get too hot it'll tell you.

To replace your computer with a phone, it'd have to be one HELL of an old computer and your requirements must be pretty low as far as productivity.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:25 PM

62 posts, read 71,477 times
Actually, I was seriously considering this for the GN2 and then GN3, purchasing all of the needed accessories/peripherals. But under actual usage conditions, even with multi-application and various pop-up windows enabled, having a laptop or PC is far superior.

It's a cool gimmick and somewhat helpful when traveling sans laptop though! And hopefully, with future versions of the GN phablet it will become more of a reality. But for now, there's just no substitute for a real interface to access files. Not to mention, there's no way to enable phone call functionality with multi-application. So that by itself is a major limitation.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:57 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,010,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I was reading on XDA forums that some have thought of the same as me. Get a Note 3, keyboard and monitor and replace antiquated puter.
I suppose it might be good to replace an antiquated computer, wouldn't do a very good job replacing a current computer.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:00 AM

80 posts, read 128,837 times
Depending on usage scenario it might work. However, I still found the keyboard/mouse implementation in Android way too roughly axed together and without afterthought. Most apps still fail to adapt accordingly to the fact that you are using a keyboard/mouse and are assuming the touch interface.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:04 PM

25,181 posts, read 18,682,788 times
I used my iPhone just as a phone - mobile apps, texts, calls, etc. I use my S5 to do computer-like tasks on occasion, such as BitTorrent.

I have a 3770k, 32GB RAM, and a fast Crucial SSD for my primary machine. I cannot see a phone taking my PC's place, but then again, I'm a fairly heavy user. For many casual users, mobile has already taken over day to day usage

Old 09-21-2014, 09:25 PM

10,123 posts, read 14,362,515 times
I am glad the topic has sparked more discussion but I scrapped the idea long ago after being on XDA forums and watching others try it on YT.

Tablets aren't even there yet. I wouldn't scrap my $600 Core I5 for a tablet or phablet, too slow to type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones