U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2013, 02:25 PM

700 posts, read 1,157,397 times

Advertisements

A couple of good black Friday specials out there on these phones. Which is better or which should I go with?? I like the beats audio and look of HTC one, the galaxy 4s is proven to be a power house, and the LG G2 is the latest out in the market. Please help. I'm torn. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 11:33 PM

272 posts, read 380,084 times
Personally I would go with the Nexus 5 32GB

Old 11-29-2013, 03:38 AM

1,617 posts, read 4,795,327 times
LG or HTC. I might use an S4 if it was free. Powerhouse or not, it's light and flimsy--not well built. The HTC One is solid. Comparing the Samsung and the HTC in person, you'll notice the difference right away.

I haven't personally checked out a G4 yet, but if it's like most LG phones, it'll be better than the Samsung, but not quite like the aluminum "unibody" HTC One.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:32 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,259,918 times
Ahhh, I'm going through the same heartburn. I was going to get the HTC One at Costco for $59.99 but they have the Samsung S4 for $29.99 and I need to get two phones..... I really don't want to get the Samsung S4 but that's a pretty good darn deal and you get expandable memory.....

However, I've been reading that on the Samsung S4 you can't enable a hotspot unless you root it? Is that true? I am not that technologically savvy.... Would you have to do the same with the HTC One? It doesn't appear that you do....but please tell me if I am wrong.

I will be on the Verizon network....now to figure out which data plan....maybe that's an entirely different thread.

Last edited by vermonter16; 11-29-2013 at 04:44 AM..

Old 11-29-2013, 10:08 AM

4,682 posts, read 8,954,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
Ahhh, I'm going through the same heartburn. I was going to get the HTC One at Costco for $59.99 but they have the Samsung S4 for $29.99 and I need to get two phones..... I really don't want to get the Samsung S4 but that's a pretty good darn deal and you get expandable memory.....

However, I've been reading that on the Samsung S4 you can't enable a hotspot unless you root it? Is that true? I am not that technologically savvy.... Would you have to do the same with the HTC One? It doesn't appear that you do....but please tell me if I am wrong.

I will be on the Verizon network....now to figure out which data plan....maybe that's an entirely different thread.
Amazon.com has the HTC One, Galaxy S4 and the LG G2 for $.01 for a new two year contract.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:54 AM

1,617 posts, read 4,795,327 times
Quote:
Then the solution is obvious: Buy one of each.

Hey, actually, since you're on Verizon, you might want to avoid Samsung if you regularly use your phones in places with a marginal signal. The Samsung Galaxy series on Verizon has received a pretty steady stream of poor reviews for reception (especially the Galaxy Nexus and S3, although the S4 doesn't look so hot either).

Quote:
It's not true, although it needs to be provisioned on your account. Officially, it's always been this way, although it used to be fairly easy to defeat Verizon's tethering block if you didn't want to pay. One would simply install a 3rd party app such as FoxFi.

With android 4.1 and up, it's not so easy anymore. The OS is able to lock out third party tethering apps if tethering isn't allowed on the user's plan. This is an Android thing, not just a Samsung thing.

Depending on your data plan, tethering might be included, or it might be an extra cost add-on. If you have unlimited data, it's $30 extra per month. On some older limited plans, it's $20 extra, but you get two extra GB of data per month. It's included if you have a limited share plan.

The people who are complaining about it are mostly unlimited data users who can't get unlimited tethering for free anymore. If that's not you, don't worry about it.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:39 PM

8,772 posts, read 9,558,806 times
Quote:
I would not base my phone decision on a $30 price difference. If $30 is going to make or break your decision you should not be looking at high end phones. Actually, you should not be looking at smartphones or even contract phones. Go with a flip phone on a prepaid plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post

Hey, actually, since you're on Verizon, you might want to avoid Samsung if you regularly use your phones in places with a marginal signal. The Samsung Galaxy series on Verizon has received a pretty steady stream of poor reviews for reception (especially the Galaxy Nexus and S3, although the S4 doesn't look so hot either).
One of the main reasons I avoid Samsung. Been there along with several friends. Samsung is not the best choice if placing and receiving calls is important.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:53 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,314,886 times
I would go with Samsung. I like their phones. Although some people complain about the plastic, I always carry mine in my pocket and I never have a problem. I also do not have a problem with making or receiving calls. The LG would probably be my second guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones