U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 01:39 PM

8,680 posts, read 9,457,365 times

Advertisements

Where I live, we have basic 4G speeds...3-5 Mbps down and about 1Mbps up from AT&T. More than adequate for my internet stuff, apps, videos, and what have you. My phone is an iPhone 5.

So here I am in Silicon Valley for the Thanksgiving holiday. I decide to switch on the LTE just for giggles. Holy COW! According to my speed test app I am getting 25Mbps down and 9Mbps up!!! Cool says I. So I am doing usual stuff on the phone. Quite pleased with how fast internet pages loaded up. Videos started a bit sooner, but no difference in quality.

After one day, I check my data usage and I burned through 400mb of my 3 gig plan in a day! This will not do says I and I turned off the LTE and settled for the 5Mbps of nonLTE 4G data.

Gads! I'd have to triple my data plan if I used LTE. Sure it was noticably faster, but not worth the data cost as far as I am concerned.

I am sure some will see it otherwise, but I don't game on my phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 01:30 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,974,381 times
I have an unlimited data plan and wouldn't be able to use anything else other than 4G at this point (and wifi). 3G just feels like a waste of time and I don't have much time to waste as it is. To each their own.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:51 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,006,893 times
Mr5150, I agree with you. In many instances LTE vs 4G speeds might not matter to actually what I would consider, the majority of users. There may be more latency issues, but up in Silly Valley, unless you are truly streaming some heavy data intensive apps or videos etc will this milliseconds really matter. When it boils down to it "4G" is really a juiced up 3G as the infrastructure is no different than normal 3G. LTE is a totally different beast from an infrastructure standpoint. But for retrieving email or reading the occassional web page it really shouldnt make a huge difference. Its the intensive media stuff where LTE shines.

The marketing is incredible though and really, LTE isnt even pure LTE yet. Here in the US we are on diet LTE vs the true standard. The governing body that dictates and sets the standards for all this crap has been a pushover for years now from the carriers so they can roll this stuff out and sell it as such.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:07 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,575,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Where I live, we have basic 4G speeds...3-5 Mbps down and about 1Mbps up from AT&T. More than adequate for my internet stuff, apps, videos, and what have you. My phone is an iPhone 5.

So here I am in Silicon Valley for the Thanksgiving holiday. I decide to switch on the LTE just for giggles. Holy COW! According to my speed test app I am getting 25Mbps down and 9Mbps up!!! Cool says I. So I am doing usual stuff on the phone. Quite pleased with how fast internet pages loaded up. Videos started a bit sooner, but no difference in quality.

After one day, I check my data usage and I burned through 400mb of my 3 gig plan in a day! This will not do says I and I turned off the LTE and settled for the 5Mbps of nonLTE 4G data.

Gads! I'd have to triple my data plan if I used LTE. Sure it was noticably faster, but not worth the data cost as far as I am concerned.

I am sure some will see it otherwise, but I don't game on my phone.
iPhone + Silicon Valley + AT&T...it's not hard to figure out why LTE (or 4G or 3G or 2G, depending) works better here. With AT&T, the closer you get to Apple, the better the service.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Mr5150, I agree with you. In many instances LTE vs 4G speeds might not matter to actually what I would consider, the majority of users. There may be more latency issues, but up in Silly Valley, unless you are truly streaming some heavy data intensive apps or videos etc will this milliseconds really matter. When it boils down to it "4G" is really a juiced up 3G as the infrastructure is no different than normal 3G. LTE is a totally different beast from an infrastructure standpoint. But for retrieving email or reading the occassional web page it really shouldnt make a huge difference. Its the intensive media stuff where LTE shines.

The marketing is incredible though and really, LTE isnt even pure LTE yet. Here in the US we are on diet LTE vs the true standard. The governing body that dictates and sets the standards for all this crap has been a pushover for years now from the carriers so they can roll this stuff out and sell it as such.
The current LTE (LTE-FDD on Verizon, ATT, Sprint, etc. with the addition of LTE-TDD on Sprint) are true LTE. They are not "diet LTE" and meet the standards of long term evolution as set by ITU.

Also, 4G is not a juiced up 3G since the infrastructure is completely different. The only 4G-marketed service that is a juiced up 3G is ATT's non-LTE 4G.

The difference in loading email and websites like CD is measurable in seconds (thousands of milliseconds). Of course, the greatest benefit is realized with data-intensive operations. Just streaming music, I can tell the difference.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The current LTE (LTE-FDD on Verizon, ATT, Sprint, etc. with the addition of LTE-TDD on Sprint) are true LTE. They are not "diet LTE" and meet the standards of long term evolution as set by ITU.

Also, 4G is not a juiced up 3G since the infrastructure is completely different. The only 4G-marketed service that is a juiced up 3G is ATT's non-LTE 4G.

The difference in loading email and websites like CD is measurable in seconds (thousands of milliseconds). Of course, the greatest benefit is realized with data-intensive operations. Just streaming music, I can tell the difference.
We have had this discussion before NJBest
I am old school about how lte started and what it is now vs then when it started is definitely not how lte was intended. The Itu are the very body that get pushed over I was referring to. Still you right the facts are the facts with the itu. I find it interesting that they approved 'advanced lte'....right. They have flip flopped so many times in the face of the US and marketing I have a hard time seeing them as an objective body anymore.

The only claimed 4g non lte was via t mobile and att. Even in theory rev A for CDMA would have been comparable as a marketing tool. Yes 4G was most certainly juiced up WCDMA, no question. This cannot be argued. They juiced up hsdpa and hsupa of existing WCDMA networks. Lte is the truly first new infrastructure rollout since we moved from amps where it's totally separate from existing cells, not just juiced up.

I still stand by the premise of this thread and don't think it's really a huge deal based on the OPs argument. For people that give a hoot about gaining the extra 2seconds of sync time on 4g vs lte, these are some deep first world problems to be concerned about.

Curiuous you seem to know a lot about networks. Are you in deployment in some fashion?

Old 12-07-2013, 10:55 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,268,988 times
I have LTE 4G and have never gone over my 4GB data plan. I also don't spend more money than I have in the bank. It's all about self control and paying attention.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:13 AM

1,955 posts, read 3,065,837 times
I have unlimited 4G and blew through 120 GB during the Steam summer sale. The autumn sale was this month, but I kept it at a relatively low 55 GB. Still have a week left on the billing period, so who knows!

My normal usage is usually between 20 and 30 GB per month, though.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Curiuous you seem to know a lot about networks. Are you in deployment in some fashion?
No.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
No.
Fair enough. I hope the ITU gets its act together then.

IMHO, having 'LTE' in AT&T devices and just '4G' in LTE (same infrastructure) for devices in Europe, standardized, doesnt make any sense. Just speaking out loud here. Even those of us in the industry scratch our heads at the bureaucracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones