U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 03:55 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,564,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I guess I should clarify... SPRINT's Network sucks lol
no sheet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 07:33 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,001,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
As with any network, it depends on the location. Sprint has the fastest network in NYC at 60mbit/sec.
Hate to break it to you, but T-Mobile's LTE can break that easily, and Verizon's can occasionally as well, though their network has got a lot more load on it. Sprint isn't the only ones with 20x20MHz LTE you know.

And yes, that's all SPrint has, is 20x20 Mhz. They haven't implemented carrier aggregation yet, so no matter how many times they try to imply it by saying "tri band LTE" you're only using one band at a time, and the max size for a single LTE band is 20x20.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:29 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,974,381 times
Quote:
I find that hard to believe. I'm sure they have speeds that are tolerable in NYC (as should be the case with any network in NYC).

2014 PC-mag article shows Sprint at the bottom and Verizon at the top
New York, NY - Fastest Mobile Networks 2014 | PCMag.com

2013 Article shows shows Sprint at the bottom and AT&T at the top w/ Verizon in 2nd
New York, NY - Fastest Mobile Networks 2013 | PCMag.com

Here's a YouTube video of a guy testing out Sprint vs T-Mobile in several locations of the Metro area (including NYC and Long Island and the outer areas)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9_bqWW8xiA

Keep in mind, this is all from last year to this year. I'd love to see Sprint with a better network, but 60mbps? Show me! :-)
That test doesn't use a phone on the Spark network. Look for results of users on the Spark network.

In NYC, I see 60mb/s on Sprint, 30-40mb/sec on Verizon, and 12-15mb/sec on T-Mobile. I don't have an ATT device to test. The only place that I don't get good speeds in NYC is in Dumbo area. Verizon is the only one consistent with speeds when I'm in NJ. Sprint switches between Spark and slower LTE, and T-Mobile just sucks in NJ.

Here's an example of someone on Spark in LA. They hit just under 60:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeS7mzMdLLI

Old 08-24-2014, 06:52 AM

3,587 posts, read 2,575,200 times
Quote:
That test doesn't use a phone on the Spark network. Look for results of users on the Spark network.

In NYC, I see 60mb/s on Sprint, 30-40mb/sec on Verizon, and 12-15mb/sec on T-Mobile. I don't have an ATT device to test. The only place that I don't get good speeds in NYC is in Dumbo area. Verizon is the only one consistent with speeds when I'm in NJ. Sprint switches between Spark and slower LTE, and T-Mobile just sucks in NJ.

Here's an example of someone on Spark in LA. They hit just under 60:
Cool, so you need a Spark enabled device and need to live in one of the following cities:

Quote:
Sprint Spark is available in 24 cities: Austin, Texas; Baltimore; Chicago; Dallas; Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; Fort Worth, Texas; Houston; Jacksonville, Fla.; Kansas City, Kan./Mo.; Los Angeles; Miami; New York; Newark, N.J.; Oakland, Calif.; Orlando, Fla.; Philadelphia; Provo, Utah; Salt Lake City; San Antonio; Tacoma, Wash.; Tampa, Fla.; Trenton, N.J; Waukegan, Ill.; and West Palm Beach, Fla.
So I guess if you limit your travels to never leave one of these cities (until they expand) then you can enjoy high speed data. LTE speeds of every other network have much greater coverage.

Would you rather have amazing speed while you're in town or would you rather have great speeds in most areas that you travel?

I wonder how far outside the main city you can go before you're subject to the crap that is anything other than the Spark network? I haven't been able to find a video demonstrating that. As said before, all carriers should fair well in major cities, but the truth of the matter is most people don't live in the city.

I average on T-mobile between 15-20mbps almost everywhere I go. I did travel to Georgia and lost my LTE for a stretch of the road while I was in the boonies... but other than that, haven't had much issue.

I'm glad Sprint is trying to better themselves... but before they concentrate on this stupid fast speed for select cities, maybe they should work on making their LTE coverage better and faster for everyone and not just people with Spark enabled devices.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:05 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,974,381 times
Quote:
Cool, so you need a Spark enabled device and need to live in one of the following cities:

So I guess if you limit your travels to never leave one of these cities (until they expand) then you can enjoy high speed data. LTE speeds of every other network have much greater coverage.

Would you rather have amazing speed while you're in town or would you rather have great speeds in most areas that you travel?

I wonder how far outside the main city you can go before you're subject to the crap that is anything other than the Spark network? I haven't been able to find a video demonstrating that. As said before, all carriers should fair well in major cities, but the truth of the matter is most people don't live in the city.

I average on T-mobile between 15-20mbps almost everywhere I go. I did travel to Georgia and lost my LTE for a stretch of the road while I was in the boonies... but other than that, haven't had much issue.

I'm glad Sprint is trying to better themselves... but before they concentrate on this stupid fast speed for select cities, maybe they should work on making their LTE coverage better and faster for everyone and not just people with Spark enabled devices.
Did you notice that New York was on that list?

The rest of your post is offtopic. We were talking specifically about NYC.

It's nice to see that you have decided to agree with me. Coverage varies by location.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:13 PM

3,587 posts, read 2,575,200 times
Quote:
Did you notice that New York was on that list?

The rest of your post is offtopic. We were talking specifically about NYC.

It's nice to see that you have decided to agree with me. Coverage varies by location.
My original post was about Sprints network being overall awful. You brought up one city that has a 60mbps down. I acknowledge that major cities should have good speeds... but even in that respect in the videos I showed, the speed of non-spark enabled devices is pretty awful.

Okay, that's nice, they have a new technology... kind of really leaves everyone with non-spark enabled LTE devices behind... but that's the nature of changes in technology anyway.

The rest of my post is on topic because, while I initially responded regarding NYC, I am also talking about everything. The LTE speeds of almost all carriers are superior in areas where spark is not available. At the present time stepping out of these areas will result in significant speed drops and that's IF you already have a spark enabled phone.

I would much rather have a service that has good speed in most places... not just the city. I'm about 20 miles from Tampa right now and i'm getting 22mbps on 1 bar of LTE with T-Mobile. If I head to Lakeland (which is 60 miles away from the city) I can get about 16mbps. Verizon customers fare even better than I do.

Until Sprint fixes their 4G/LTE network to have wide coverage at high speeds -- they will stay dragging behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones