Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 06:00 PM

323 posts, read 321,541 times

Advertisements

IS there a way to turn the the GPS tracking device off? This is another way Big Brother is watching over you just like Google and Facebook. These are all great the law enforcement, but I feel like I am being watched 24/7 even if your a normal law bidden citizen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 06:56 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
As far as anyone can tell, all information is stored internally. I would not be surprised if android has the same feature. Personally I think it is much ado about nothing. Everytime you make a call, you are tracked to the nearest cell phone tower.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:30 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
You don't even have to make a call, the cell phone is constantly communicating with the towers for handshake switching and if you have apps running they are communicating, email running..etc. There is a digital track of the area you are in anytime your phone is on and it is all saved on servers. This is how they come back with cell phone records in criminal prosecutions. I don't know which ones have it off the top of my head but I remember reading that some of the cell phones even have software where even if you turn the gps off and even if you turn the cell phone itself off the gps can be activated for tracking. I just remember reading that about a year or so ago and I don't remember any specifics. Seems like the FBI and CIA was pushing to have that capability installed on all new cell phones for terrorist tracking capabilities.

As for it being "stored internally" well a lot of information is supposed to be stored securely but if it is stored anywhere and there is an avenue from the internet to the storage device, hackers can get to it if they really want to and "big brother" can always get his hands on it if he wants it. lol

Its all part of the digital age and it is the trade off. If you don't want a digital trail of everywhere you go, don't carry a cell phone or any other device that connects to wireless and don't drive a car with something like onstar because they all communicate and leave data on a server.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:08 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
There's a trade-off in our gadget addictions: If you want a new modern gadget phone (iPhone, or a variety of others), then GPS is pretty much going to be "on" on some level in the background, even if you have the satellite GPS stuff turned off. However, if you can shun your need for a high tech gadget, you can probably still get one of the very inexpensive flip-style phones from a prepaid company such as Net10/Tracfone, and they will not have the background GPS features/Apps running like the smart phones do.

Translation: The more gadgets and modern tech you use, the less privacy you're going to have. If you want to be "cut-off" from it, go to older tech.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:24 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organicgreen View Post
IS there a way to turn the the GPS tracking device off? This is another way Big Brother is watching over you just like Google and Facebook. These are all great the law enforcement, but I feel like I am being watched 24/7 even if your a normal law bidden citizen.
I feel that you're being Paranoid and are listening to sensationalist news that are just trying to get you scared at silly things.

Understand this, if you are online in any shape or form... you are WATCHABLE!

Old 08-22-2014, 10:20 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
The original article with that same title is here:
Apple Users, Beware: iPhones Secretly Tracking Location, Experts Warn
By Maxim Lott, Published April 20, 2011, FoxNews.com
Apple Users, Beware: iPhones Secretly Tracking Location, Experts Warn | Fox News
Notice that the article was written over three years ago...

Old 08-22-2014, 12:33 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The original article with that same title is here:
Apple Users, Beware: iPhones Secretly Tracking Location, Experts Warn
By Maxim Lott, Published April 20, 2011, FoxNews.com
Apple Users, Beware: iPhones Secretly Tracking Location, Experts Warn | Fox News
Notice that the article was written over three years ago...
I turned the tracking feature off a year ago when I got my iPhone 5.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:18 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
It's not a secret to anyone except people who don't understand how GPS works.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:21 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
On the iphone turn off "Find my phone", or 'Location Services" or both.

I could care less about any of that nonsense, the most exciting place I go is to the grocery store every couple weeks.
Otherwise I am at home on our enclosed front porch doing paperwork for my business or aggravating people on this forum.
I deactivated facebook a few years ago and I use google chrome and about the most exciting thing they will find from that is the bookmark to this forum and what I've ordered from amazon lately.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:27 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
On the iphone turn off "Find my phone", or 'Location Services" or both.

I could care less about any of that nonsense, the most exciting place I go is to the grocery store every couple weeks.
Otherwise I am at home on our enclosed front porch doing paperwork for my business or aggravating people on this forum.
I deactivated facebook a few years ago and I use google chrome and about the most exciting thing they will find from that is the bookmark to this forum and what I've ordered from amazon lately.
You'd be doing yourself a great disservice and crippling the device by preventing it from knowing your location. If you would do something like this... then go get a used flip phone or something lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones