U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 05:00 PM

4,752 posts, read 5,594,224 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to get a basic cell phone plan and basic cell phone for just making/answering calls and texting. No need of any other features beside call/text. Light use (average less than 10 hours per month). So low price, but quality of the device and the carrier (connection etc.) must be reliable. Also decent battery life (months/years with light use). Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 07:51 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 15,163,269 times
I have this service and it costs me about $7.00 a month.

Shop Phones and Airtime | Web Exclusives | TracFone Wireless

Old 12-25-2013, 04:58 PM

1,144 posts, read 3,429,567 times
I have a Tracfone that I have been using for about 3 years now. My phone is an LG420g. It's a small black flip phone and fits well in a pocket. I see them for sale in my local grocery store for $15, sometimes $10 on sale. It has been a good reliable phone with good battery life. It is for occasional brief phone calls and a few text messages here and there. This phone has a way that you can get incoming text messages for free (do a web search about it if you are interested in this phone.) It costs me about $100/yr to use it.

Tracfone sells a card for $100 that gives 365 days of service and 400 minutes. My phone automatically doubles the minutes and I can usually find a bonus code to give me 200 free minutes when I add that $100 card to my phone. So I get 1000 minutes. If I keep an eye out on ebay and amazon I can usually find that $100 card on a sale for $70 or $80. I subscribe to a yahoogroup (Tracfone users) where people often post helpful hints about minutes cards that are on sale and good bonus codes. They are also helpful to new users who are just learning about Tracfone.

I have a second Tracfone, a very old Motorola V170, that I keep going for my bf to use occasionally. I only put a 90day/60 minute (doubles to 120 minutes) card on it for $20 at a time. I don't want to leave a lot of minutes on it at a time. So that one is $80/yr to keep it going.

Tracfone has many phones much fancier than the ones I use, but mine are just fine for our use. Many of the newer Tracfones are like smartphones and triple the minutes that you put on them. Take a look on Tracfones website and put in your zipcode. Not all phones are available in all areas.

A friend upgraded her smartphone last month and gave me her old one. It's not a Tracfone phone, but a real smartphone. I like it and I use it like a mini tablet on wifi but I don't plan to activate it as a cell phone. I don't want to pay a bill for it! I thought about how much I use my Tracfone (a couple of brief calls per week) and decided I didn't plan to use a cell phone more than that so I will stick with my Tracfone and use the smartphone as a toy.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:58 AM

14,523 posts, read 7,678,834 times
Consumer Cellular https://www.consumercellular.com is a no-contract provider which is very good: great customer service and a nice array of phones from which to choose.

I've been with them for 10 years and have excellent service the entire time. Couldn't be more pleased!

Old 12-26-2013, 01:20 PM

40,638 posts, read 15,515,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
I'm looking to get a basic cell phone plan and basic cell phone for just making/answering calls and texting. No need of any other features beside call/text. Light use (average less than 10 hours per month). So low price, but quality of the device and the carrier (connection etc.) must be reliable. Also decent battery life (months/years with light use). Any recommendations?
I only use my cell phone for emergencies or necessary, brief exchanges of info with someone. I've been with TracFone for more than 10 years. I always have plenty of bars and the battery seems as though it'll last forever because I rarely have the phone turned on. You can buy any of a number of phones and then go to TracFone's website to purchase service and minutes (units). I go online once a year to buy a year's worth of service, and it includes more units than I could ever use. The units roll over.

My service ends up costing me just over $10 per month. I love not having to deal with contracts or monthly bills. I always have good reception when I need to use the phone. Several of my family members also use TracFone and all of them love it as much as I do.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:14 PM

537 posts, read 1,018,070 times
I will also recommend Tracfone. I used them when I just needed a cell phone for emergencies/job searching, and I paid about $200.00 in the course of one year. The phone I had lasted a couple years, and I gave it to a friend who had it for another year or two. Reliable service as well.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:39 AM

18,546 posts, read 55,477,958 times
Pageplus cellular allows our ultra-low cellphone use for a little over $30/YEAR.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:56 PM

3,730 posts, read 5,355,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Consumer Cellular https://www.consumercellular.com is a no-contract provider which is very good: great customer service and a nice array of phones from which to choose.

I've been with them for 10 years and have excellent service the entire time. Couldn't be more pleased!

Another vote for Consumer Cellular, will second the above. CC is very good for seniors that only require the basics, although younger users should also be happy with it. The current issue of Consumer Reports magazine, January 2014, has a very good article that rates phones, plans, and carriers. They rate CC highly, on top, and also like TracPhone in the prepaid light usage catagory.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:44 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,678,834 times
^^ PLUS, Consumer Cellular is now offering the iPhone 5s and 5c.

Also, one can bring any unlocked phone and they will send you the CC sim card free of charge; and there's no "activation fee" which has been only a gratuitous money-grabbing policy for years.

This excellent company is becoming more & more popular, yet they still have wonderful customer service. Yay!

Old 01-08-2014, 10:53 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,690,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
^^ PLUS, Consumer Cellular is now offering the iPhone 5s and 5c.

Also, one can bring any unlocked phone and they will send you the CC sim card free of charge; and there's no "activation fee" which has been only a gratuitous money-grabbing policy for years.

This excellent company is becoming more & more popular, yet they still have wonderful customer service. Yay!
You DO know that the NSA has their hands in Apples pants right?
STAY AWAY from apple ijunk and here's why,

NSA’s ANT Division Catalog of Exploits for Nearly Every Major Software/Hardware/Firmware | LeakSource
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones