U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 09:26 AM

969 posts, read 2,543,062 times

Advertisements

When I first got the phone it came with a month of "visual voice mail" - nice but not necessary - so I let it run out. Ever since then I do not get any audible tone telling me I have voice mail - even though i have gone to ringtones and set a specific sound. Short of manually checking - I do not know when voice mail comes in. It also seems to take some random time to show up (if at all)
Doing a search I see that many people have had the same issue - but no one has written a solution that I can understand.
Any help would be appreciated. I have missed quite a few messages due to this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 09:35 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,561,901 times
Check out google voice, I use it for voicemails and it emails you a copy of the message (mp3 format) so you don't even need to have your phone to know you've got a VM.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/165656?hl=en

Old 01-10-2014, 10:08 AM

Thanks for your quick reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
Check out google voice, I use it for voicemails and it emails you a copy of the message (mp3 format) so you don't even need to have your phone to know you've got a VM.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/165656?hl=en
I don't see the gear thingy - is there a shortcut key for that?
Click the gear icon link at the top right corner of the page.

Edited to say I found a work around - we will see if this works for me - THANK YOU!

Last edited by Grasonville; 01-10-2014 at 10:26 AM..

Old 01-10-2014, 11:07 AM

How do you change the number of rings before the voice mail kicks in?

Old 01-10-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
How do you change the number of rings before the voice mail kicks in?
That is a setting with your carrier, you can call them and have them change it, or try this (I haven't tried this method so I don't know if it works)

Quote:
On most Droids, and most carriers:

1. Dial *#61# and click Send. You will see your VM access number and the current ring delay time.
2. Write down the phone number displayed (including +1).
3. Dial **61*+1xxxyyyzzzz*11*30# and hit Send. +1xxxyyyzzzz is the number you wrote down previously, 30 is the delay in seconds. The delay can be set in 5 second increments, 30 is maximum.
4. Dial *#61# to verify that the new settings are active.
Edit: Works for me on mine, ATT:

Old 01-10-2014, 02:17 PM

Thanks anyway - just gives me a rapid busy signal - I will try calling the carrier. Appreciate your replies!

Old 01-17-2014, 07:00 AM

So I loaded the Google Voice thingy and (unless it is someone in your contacts) the voice mail reports "an unknown caller" - it doesn't say when the call was received - and it doesn't convert the message to text. So what am I doing wrong? Is there a different program that WILL say the number that called and the day and time they called?

Old 01-17-2014, 11:00 AM

Where are you viewing this from? If the # is not in contacts, mine shows the number, not "unknown caller" -also you can enable text conversion at voice.google.com

Old 01-17-2014, 12:35 PM

The voice mail message voice says"You have received a call from UNKNOWN NUMBER" And then it asks if I want to call it back - on the screen it shows the phone number of the "missed call" - but the voice doesn't say it.
I will check those setting you kindly provided and let you know how it goes. Thanks for your time!

Old 01-17-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
The voice mail message voice says"You have received a call from UNKNOWN NUMBER" And then it asks if I want to call it back - on the screen it shows the phone number of the "missed call" - but the voice doesn't say it.
I will check those setting you kindly provided and let you know how it goes. Thanks for your time!
Hmm, I'm not sure. When I get a VM it's just the person talking, no intro or details or anything added on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones