U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 11:55 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,690,159 times

Advertisements

Many police depts prefer not to take these calls seriously, due to all the fruitcakes making the complaints. They prefer to focus on REAL crimes.
Learning how to deal with it on your own, is wiser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 03:28 PM

1,617 posts, read 4,775,277 times
You, as a private individual, can't easily get that information. That's by design.

Best thing to do, if you know who is contacting you and there is a no contact order, is notify the police that this person is in violation. If they feel the need, they may be able get that information from the phone company (you, however, can not).

Sorry. I know it can be a scary situation. Good luck.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:31 PM

1,617 posts, read 4,775,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Many police depts prefer not to take these calls seriously, due to all the fruitcakes making the complaints. They prefer to focus on REAL crimes.
Learning how to deal with it on your own, is wiser.

Don't be so callous. If there is a no contact order, it is a real crime.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:06 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,268,988 times
Verizon allows you to block specific numbers, I suspect that most carriers also offer this ability.

If it is illegal in that you have a restraining order against them for some reason, then pursue it through legal actions, starting by contacting the police, or sheriff depending on where you live.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:49 PM

2 posts, read 1,625 times
thank you all for your input.
Let me clarify your assumptions.
1. I have a permanent order of protection, that prevents any contact, abuse, molestation, violence against me from this person.
2. this person is DANGEROUS and I am the victim of CDV. I was beaten to a living pulp.
3. I had my last surgery 4 years ago.
I have not been contacted by this person for 13 years & now he has re-emerged.
4. He is a registered predator in 2 states.
The way he contacted me is the EXACT way it began before.
5. I have filed reports at the police dept, a crime was committed. I need to locate him.
6. Police depts follow archaic laws that do not help victims.
7. I did not answer the call, I was working, he left a message. I did not recognize the number.
8. he has made contact & I need to be 2 steps ahead of him, not one.
9. I have already found the carrier. It's the tower I need.

I need help.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:00 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,681,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooked View Post
thank you all for your input.
Let me clarify your assumptions.
1. I have a permanent order of protection, that prevents any contact, abuse, molestation, violence against me from this person.
2. this person is DANGEROUS and I am the victim of CDV. I was beaten to a living pulp.
3. I had my last surgery 4 years ago.
I have not been contacted by this person for 13 years & now he has re-emerged.
4. He is a registered predator in 2 states.
The way he contacted me is the EXACT way it began before.
5. I have filed reports at the police dept, a crime was committed. I need to locate him.
6. Police depts follow archaic laws that do not help victims.
7. I did not answer the call, I was working, he left a message. I did not recognize the number.
8. he has made contact & I need to be 2 steps ahead of him, not one.
9. I have already found the carrier. It's the tower I need.

I need help.
Only the carrier can tell you what tower the cell was connected to. Period.

Only the police can get the carrier to release those records.

No one on the internet can help you with this.

Also, in my opinion, some one this sick obviously isn't going to obey the rules in place, so you should be outfitted, trained, and prepared to defend yourself properly if said person does actually show up.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:55 AM

3,450 posts, read 6,332,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Only the carrier can tell you what tower the cell was connected to. Period.

Only the police can get the carrier to release those records.

No one on the internet can help you with this.

Also, in my opinion, some one this sick obviously isn't going to obey the rules in place, so you should be outfitted, trained, and prepared to defend yourself properly if said person does actually show up.
These are the facts as described. Sorry, but nobody in this forum or any other internet forum will be able to assist you. Now that you have defined the situation more clearly, the above advice is you best option.

As mentioned, your carrier can only tell where you were when you received the call, not where the caller was when the call was placed. Not even a court subpoena could provide that information from your carrier.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:57 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,690,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
Don't be so callous. If there is a no contact order, it is a real crime.
I'm not being callous, just realistic.
No contact orders, are also on the bottom of the priority list of many PD's and SA's unless violence has already occurred. YOU can solve these issues more effectively than your cops can, if you learn how.

There ARE many phones on the market which will allow you to block unregistered (listed) numbers and numbers you enter as unwanted.
These are great for dumping ad calls, or anyone you don't want to hear from BUT you have to be savvy enough to use one.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:25 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,085,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Pot, meet kettle.

This quote is the closest that the OP mentioned to a restraining order. Am I missing something? Please feel free to correct me if I missed something in the OP's post. There is nothing illegal without a restraining order.

The OP said someone is contacting them again, and it is illegal for them to do it. Most people who can put 2 and 2 together would come to the conclusion there is a restraining order or prior case involved. Also, notice the OP used the word "again", which implies that this was a problem in the past. Now I think I understand your username.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:36 PM

3,450 posts, read 6,332,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post

The OP said someone is contacting them again, and it is illegal for them to do it. Most people who can put 2 and 2 together would come to the conclusion there is a restraining order or prior case involved. Also, notice the OP used the word "again", which implies that this was a problem in the past. Now I think I understand your username.
And assuming things makes an @!# out of you, not me. The OP wasn't very clear in the first post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones