U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:01 AM

1,354 posts, read 3,570,901 times

Advertisements

So it appears I have lost my 9-year-old cellphone...the kind that didn't even take pictures .

I'd prefer not to have a 2-year contract but it's not necessarily a dealbreaker. I see Costco has several phones... any thoughts on the pros/cons of what they offer? I don't know anyone who's been to Mio
yet...are they a good option? There's a store very close. I just don't want to walk into either place knowing nothing and get talked into something I don't want or need.

I don't know what I don't know... all I can tell you is that I'm not someone who lives on a cellphone. My joke is that I had two conversations on mine: "Hi, my car broke down" and "Hi, the plane will be late."

I don't think I need a huge data plan...but people who love all their apps tell me I'll wonder how I ever
lived without a smartphone.

I don't want to rush into this but I will be traveling next month and I do concede it's nice to have
a cellphone in that situation.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 10:16 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,518,032 times
If you hardly ever use a cell phone then prepaid might be the way to go. TMobile has 1000 minutes good for one year and then if you renew on time the minutes carry over. You can also buy a phone from them or buy one at many of the stores such as Walgreens, Wallmart, Target, BestBuy etc. ATT has the GoPhone which is similar and also available at most large stores. No contract needed at either.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:37 AM

5,374 posts, read 11,284,151 times
Determine what the minimum is what you need.
Now go shopping without your checkbook !!!
Compare and make notes !!
Important !!!
When you do decide of not getting a *dumb* phone,
what additional cost will come with the *smart* phone ?
Especially since you are planning to travel, find out about coverage area !!!
We used to have T-mobile, and we were out of luck the minute we got out of town ...

Costco ?
Pro = fairly good advice and choice of plans and phones.
The final *deal* always seems to have more goodies you get in the bag of stuff you end up with ...
We always get a wall-wart, car charger, case, ear phones, strap and often some more things we do not know what to do with.
One time we received (free !!!) a case that was as big a a kindle reader.
Guess what, Costco does not sell a Kindle reader !
OK, so we went to Sam's Club to get a Kindle ...
We already had a 15 dollar case ...
Made the wife very happy !

Con = if they can not *solve* your *problem* you can always go to the store that actually does sell that particular phone.
We happen to like Verizon (way better coverage than before !).
Good deal at Costco (got more things for the same price).
Had a problem, and the Verizon store fixed it.

Last edited by irman; 01-20-2014 at 11:49 AM..

Old 02-03-2014, 08:53 PM

1,354 posts, read 3,570,901 times
Another question from a first-time smartphone shopper... do I really need an iPhone? Everyone at work has one and the boss says "everyone can help me" if I get one... I really want to keep the monthly cost as low as possible. That TV commercial for AT&T where the guy keeps asking "what's the catch" and the "supervisor" says "there isn't one"... is the catch that they don't offer an iPhone on that kind of deal?

Old 02-03-2014, 10:58 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,690,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
If you hardly ever use a cell phone then prepaid might be the way to go. TMobile has 1000 minutes good for one year and then if you renew on time the minutes carry over. You can also buy a phone from them or buy one at many of the stores such as Walgreens, Wallmart, Target, BestBuy etc. ATT has the GoPhone which is similar and also available at most large stores. No contract needed at either.
Tracfones now have triple minutes for the life of the phone, on several different models, including androids.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
Another question from a first-time smartphone shopper... do I really need an iPhone? Everyone at work has one and the boss says "everyone can help me" if I get one... I really want to keep the monthly cost as low as possible. That TV commercial for AT&T where the guy keeps asking "what's the catch" and the "supervisor" says "there isn't one"... is the catch that they don't offer an iPhone on that kind of deal?
Nope. iphones are limited and tend to catch fire when the battery shorts out, which is not removable either.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:47 AM

3,452 posts, read 6,333,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Nope. iphones are limited and tend to catch fire when the battery shorts out, which is not removable either.
That is a silly statement. I doubt that iPhone batteries are any more prone than on any other device. Of course it could happen on any phone battery under the right circumstances.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
That is a silly statement. I doubt that iPhone batteries are any more prone than on any other device. Of course it could happen on any phone battery under the right circumstances.
Maybe, but it's funny that the stories about several phones with shorted batteries over the last couple of years have been reported to be iphones so if that's silly oh well!
IF you could remove the battery at the onset of its failure then you *might* be able to save the device but this is one of the worms apple crap has. I feel for those poor people overseas building them for a pittance.
I wouldn't have ijunk if it was FREE.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:25 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,708,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Maybe, but it's funny that the stories about several phones with shorted batteries over the last couple of years have been reported to be iphones so if that's silly oh well!
IF you could remove the battery at the onset of its failure then you *might* be able to save the device but this is one of the worms apple crap has. I feel for those poor people overseas building them for a pittance.
I wouldn't have ijunk if it was FREE.
Oh look. A troll. The reports we see come from a variety of things like sitting on the phone (would you sit on your laptop?), using knockoff chargers, etc. None of that is inherently a problem with Apple or their products. It's a problem with 1) people being idiots and 2) companies making shoddy knock off accessories that don't work right.

The reports are likely purely a function of how many phones are out there (in the case of people being idiots) and how big the iPhone accessory ecosystem is (in the case of third party knockoff junk).

Now, to the OP, no you don't need an iPhone. There are plenty of good choices out there. iPhones are built well, iOS is stable, and the app selection is the best both in terms of quantity and quality. Windows Phone is probably the nicest OS and runs on some of the nicest hardware, but the app selection is mediocre at best. Android is, well, a mixed bag. I've never been pleased with it or the applications - glitchy, unstable, crashy, awful battery life. It's very versatile and lets you do whatever you want, but I don't find it worth the sacrifices.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Oh look. A troll. The reports we see come from a variety of things like sitting on the phone (would you sit on your laptop?), using knockoff chargers, etc. None of that is inherently a problem with Apple or their products. It's a problem with 1) people being idiots and 2) companies making shoddy knock off accessories that don't work right.

The reports are likely purely a function of how many phones are out there (in the case of people being idiots) and how big the iPhone accessory ecosystem is (in the case of third party knockoff junk).

Now, to the OP, no you don't need an iPhone. There are plenty of good choices out there. iPhones are built well, iOS is stable, and the app selection is the best both in terms of quantity and quality. Windows Phone is probably the nicest OS and runs on some of the nicest hardware, but the app selection is mediocre at best. Android is, well, a mixed bag. I've never been pleased with it or the applications - glitchy, unstable, crashy, awful battery life. It's very versatile and lets you do whatever you want, but I don't find it worth the sacrifices.
Nice jason, calling people nasty names,lol. That's ok, least I'm smart enough not to be a apple junkie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones