U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 02:29 PM

440 posts, read 1,346,135 times

Advertisements

I'm currently using page plus and it seems to be like a good deal using the 55 plan but the problem is when traveling for work I can't get reception in a one area. According to H20's map there's coverage in the area I need.

The only problem is I have to get an new phone and can't figure out if the phone I'm looking at gets 3G or not.
Here's a description from Amazon.

"Compatible Networks: Unlocked to work on any GSM network anywhere in the world. Canada - Rogers / FIDO / Bell / Telus / Koodo / Virgin / City / Sasktel; USA - AT&T, T-Mobile (2G only) ; Africa / Europe / Asia (2G only)- all GSM carriers"

Amazon.com: Huawei Ascend Y300 - New Unlocked - 3G, 4" LCD, 4GB, Android 4.1 - Jelly Bean - Smart Phone: Cell Phones & Accessories

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 03:17 AM

712 posts, read 1,963,757 times
Okay, well first of "page plus" is Verizon.. and it's the NOT very good Verizon..

It doesn't allow certain roaming agreements.. so I recommend selectel if you like Verizon (cause it has the roaming agreements)

I believe H20 Wireless is only a AT&T reseller.. so if you like AT&T it's fine.. if you stick to cities.. you'll be okay with AT&T.. but as Verizon claims.. there usually the best (not always)

Quote:
I'm currently using page plus and it seems to be like a good deal using the 55 plan but the problem is when traveling for work I can't get reception in a one area.
Go check Verizon's map.. if they show coverage in the area.. the reason your not getting it now (if your not) with Verizon is because it's a roaming partner..

Quote:
The only problem is I have to get an new phone and can't figure out if the phone I'm looking at gets 3G or not.

"Compatible Networks: Unlocked to work on any GSM network anywhere in the world. Canada - Rogers / FIDO / Bell / Telus / Koodo / Virgin / City / Sasktel; USA - AT&T, T-Mobile (2G only) ; Africa / Europe / Asia (2G only)- all GSM carriers"
I don't know about that because.. I don't know much about GSM phones..

Except I personally have page plus like you do (switching to selectel when minutes eventually expire) I like page plus's or selectels $75 for 2000 minutes for a year (except selectel gives you like 1400 texts I think) it's .04 a minute.. whichever provider except again selectel has Verizon roaming where as page plus does not..

Anyway with the phone I'm using which is the Verizon Incredible 2 (it has access to 3g from Verizon..) but also the phone has a sim card and so with cyagenmod it can work with sims from tmobile or at&t (like h20)

The phone costs about $50 (craigslist) to $65 used (ebay) it has a 1 ghz processor in it and 768 mb ram.. it's really cheap smartphone (if you want one?) that works on 3 different networks (note it can only get 2g internet from tmobile/att gsm networks) of course if you want to buy a smartphone that works on every network but Verizon (cause they won't let it! ) the nexus 5 does that I believe and it supports the new technology of LTE.. where as the 2+ year old incredible 2.. doesn't

But one thing that makes this phone awesome is the cheap price and it's a smartphone.. yah know if you lose or break a nexus 5 that's like $300+ out the window (unless you got insurance) if you lose or destroy a incredible 2 you lose $50

There is also a little newer Verizon phone that supports android 4.x that goes for about $100 used and also supports all 3 networks like the incredible 2 does and it also supports lte (lte is useless for Verizon resellers) but I can't remember it's name.. but spec's are almost equal to incredible 2 for double the money

Old 01-27-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
Okay, well first of "page plus" is Verizon.. and it's the NOT very good Verizon..

It doesn't allow certain roaming agreements.. so I recommend selectel if you like Verizon (cause it has the roaming agreements)

I believe H20 Wireless is only a AT&T reseller.. so if you like AT&T it's fine.. if you stick to cities.. you'll be okay with AT&T.. but as Verizon claims.. there usually the best (not always)

Go check Verizon's map.. if they show coverage in the area.. the reason your not getting it now (if your not) with Verizon is because it's a roaming partner..

I don't know about that because.. I don't know much about GSM phones..

Except I personally have page plus like you do (switching to selectel when minutes eventually expire) I like page plus's or selectels $75 for 2000 minutes for a year (except selectel gives you like 1400 texts I think) it's .04 a minute.. whichever provider except again selectel has Verizon roaming where as page plus does not..

Anyway with the phone I'm using which is the Verizon Incredible 2 (it has access to 3g from Verizon..) but also the phone has a sim card and so with cyagenmod it can work with sims from tmobile or at&t (like h20)

The phone costs about $50 (craigslist) to $65 used (ebay) it has a 1 ghz processor in it and 768 mb ram.. it's really cheap smartphone (if you want one?) that works on 3 different networks (note it can only get 2g internet from tmobile/att gsm networks) of course if you want to buy a smartphone that works on every network but Verizon (cause they won't let it! ) the nexus 5 does that I believe and it supports the new technology of LTE.. where as the 2+ year old incredible 2.. doesn't

But one thing that makes this phone awesome is the cheap price and it's a smartphone.. yah know if you lose or break a nexus 5 that's like $300+ out the window (unless you got insurance) if you lose or destroy a incredible 2 you lose $50

There is also a little newer Verizon phone that supports android 4.x that goes for about $100 used and also supports all 3 networks like the incredible 2 does and it also supports lte (lte is useless for Verizon resellers) but I can't remember it's name.. but spec's are almost equal to incredible 2 for double the money

Interesting, so how does the roaming work, do they charge more per each roaming minute? The phone I'm currently using is an HTC incredible also but I believe it's an older model, the ADR6300. I'm also curious about their wireless hotspot and what the charges and coverage are for that. I don't see any info on their site.

Last edited by Lost Leaf; 01-27-2014 at 09:28 AM..

Old 01-27-2014, 12:38 PM

3,160 posts, read 8,216,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
I'm currently using page plus and it seems to be like a good deal using the 55 plan but the problem is when traveling for work I can't get reception in a one area. According to H20's map there's coverage in the area I need.

Amazon.com: Huawei Ascend Y300 - New Unlocked - 3G, 4" LCD, 4GB, Android 4.1 - Jelly Bean - Smart Phone: Cell Phones & Accessories

Thoughts?
It also says "Supported 3G Modes: MHz HSPA 850/1900 /2100 MHz" which means it should work on AT&T or any AT&T carrier (such as H2O). AT&T uses the 850 and 1900 bands for their 3G service (HSPA = 3G).

The "2G only" in the listing appears to be referring to T-Mobile. In some areas, T-Mobile uses the 1700 band for 3G and HSPA 1700 is not supported by this phone.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Interesting, so how does the roaming work, do they charge more per each roaming minute?
No

Alright let me explain.. let's pretend your v$rizon the company right..? you've got the best network in the country and you get away with charging more for it than anyone else

But there is a market segment where you want to compete with sprint and tmobile that are charging less than you.. so you authorize this company called "Page Plus" and/or "selectel" and also I believe Net10 does sell Verizon services (sometimes)

So basically here's what you do.. when you setup your deal with "page plus" you pull roaming agreements you give to your customers.. you have with sprint (they cost you money) or cricket or some small cellphone provider out there..

What I'm saying is.. whoever you have access to "roam" with on Verizon.. selectel has the full Ver$zon package.. where as "page plus" does not.. again go to Verizon.com look at their coverage map for the area you "lose" service.. if they show service there.. I would assume your roaming isn't covered on "page plus" where as selectel would roam.. they have a better deal with Verizon..

Quote:
The phone I'm currently using is an HTC incredible also but I believe it's an older model, the ADR6300. I'm also curious about their wireless hotspot and what the charges and coverage are for that. I don't see any info on their site.
hmm.. the charges are .06 a megabyte

I don't know about the orginal incredible.. but my incredible 2 can be a hotspot.. so I don't need a "second device" if that's what your saying.. as far as selectel (even though there not my provider yet ) my understanding is you have to put like $10 onto something called a "flex card" or something.. and than you can use Verizon's 3g network anyway through phone or as a hotspot/tethering..

If you want to know more..? call selectel or call a dealer.. or if you really want to know more.. all my information comes from howardforums.com (because I read-study and ask questions.. so your welcome to join up and glean from their knowledge like I did )

Old 01-27-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
It also says "Supported 3G Modes: MHz HSPA 850/1900 /2100 MHz" which means it should work on AT&T or any AT&T carrier (such as H2O). AT&T uses the 850 and 1900 bands for their 3G service (HSPA = 3G).

The "2G only" in the listing appears to be referring to T-Mobile. In some areas, T-Mobile uses the 1700 band for 3G and HSPA 1700 is not supported by this phone.
Thanks, that helps. It may be a moot point now because I'm starting to lean towards Selectel considering that I already have a Verizon phone. My only problem is I don't quite know how roaming charges work on a prepaid plan.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
My only problem is I don't quite know how roaming charges work on a prepaid plan.
Once again roaming is included with selectel it's not a charge.. it's just what you get.. (or ask the guys at howardforums maybe they can explain it to you) the only difference is basically it means if you are with Verizon reseller selectel.. you have MORE coverage.. if your with Verizon reseller "page plus" you have less coverage.. and once again check Verizon's cellphone map and if you have service in the dead area you experience.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:44 PM

I checked Verizon Coverage map and the areas that I need service at are listed as " extended digital coverage" so if that means roaming than I should get signal with Selectel right?

Old 01-28-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I checked Verizon Coverage map and the areas that I need service at are listed as " extended digital coverage" so if that means roaming than I should get signal with Selectel right?
yep sounds like it..

if selectel has a map on their site you can double check it..? but I would expect it is exactly like Verizon's (except for LTE because there are no resellers of Verizon's LTE at this time)

Old 01-28-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
yep sounds like it..

if selectel has a map on their site you can double check it..? but I would expect it is exactly like Verizon's (except for LTE because there are no resellers of Verizon's LTE at this time)
Awesome, thanks for the info. I'm going to give Selectel a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones