Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 02:26 PM

969 posts, read 2,841,426 times

Advertisements

Hello (again) - I get email with attachments all the time - I try to open the attachments using the instructions I found in "My Samsung Gallaxy S iii by Steve Scwartz" pages 260-261.
It says:
1) Tap the message header to open the message
2) Tap the attachments tab to view the list of attached files
3)To open an attachment for viewing - tap its file name - The file downloads to your phone and IF (emphasis mine) a compatible app is installed, the files contents are displayed

Well - nope - I can't get the attachment to open. I have Adobe installed on the phone - how do I tell the phone to tell Adobe to open the attachment?

I just keep getting the error message: "You must first download the message to download the attachment"

Any clue as to WHAT step I am missing here?

As always - this is my go to place for help - thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 05:10 PM

10,924 posts, read 21,885,480 times
Might be a stupid question but it wasn't answered in your OP, are these attachments PDF files?

Old 02-05-2014, 06:59 PM

Yes - I use a program that sends "fax" messages as PDF attachments to my email. For example - if someone faxes my work fax - it is forwarded as an email - the "message" is something like you have a fax - see attachment. And the attachment is a PDF.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:21 PM

10,924 posts, read 21,885,480 times
Have you tried any of these solutions?
https://www.google.com/search?q=You+...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

"when you first open the email, on the bottom it willl say load more detail. If you select that, it will download the attachment."

There are a few other solutions in various forums.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Have you tried any of these solutions?
https://www.google.com/search?q=You+...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

"when you first open the email, on the bottom it willl say load more detail. If you select that, it will download the attachment."

There are a few other solutions in various forums.
Thanks for taking the time to reply -will try that and get back.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:46 AM

Default PPDF Attachment Issues with Samsung Galaxy 5 Phone

Upgraded from the 3 to a Samsung Galaxy 5 - same issue - I am sure there is a simple fix or setting but it escapes me how to open PDF attachments. Jpeg is easy - PDF keeps telling me to first download the email.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:48 AM

Default PDF Attachment Issues with Samsung Galaxy 5 Phone

Same issue with Samsung Galaxy 5 as with the 3. PDF attachments won't open by clicking on them. An error message says you must download email first before attachments can be open. Could this be a setting issue?

Old 05-22-2015, 07:45 AM

Default Attachment Issue for Galaxy S5 Resolved

After searching all over various Android forums the solution is found. Go to the Play Store and download the latest version of Adobe PDF reader. Attachments now open instantly. The reader that comes with the phone is useless.
Appreciate the replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones