U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-06-2014, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Colorado Plateau
1,144 posts, read 3,429,567 times
Reputation: 1241

Advertisements

I am a new smartphone user. I have been using a cheap Tracfone flip phone for my light talk/text needs.

A few months ago a friend upgraded her smartphone and gave me her old one. It's a LG Marquee. I didn't want to activate it as a cell phone as my tracfone is fine for that (at <$10mo). I don't like to talk on the phone much anyways.

I really like the smartphone as a multi-use wifi device, like a mini tablet. I have a Nexus 7 tablet but the smartphone is easier to carry around. I like the camera, GPS and mp3, etc. I could make calls on wifi with Google Voice if I want to.

But the Marquee is old and slow, with Android 2 on it. I'm now starting to think about getting a better used smartphone. I want one for less than $100. One with a bad esn would be great too as I don't care about activating it.

I have just been looking at the ZTE Flash. I can get a new one these days for less than $100. I saw used ones on ebay for $50 or less. It looks pretty good and has features I like: 4.5 inch screen, Android 4.0 (ICS), 12mp camera, mSD slot, replaceable battery.

Are there any other older smartphones out there I should consider that might meet my needs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2014, 08:00 AM
 
Location: northwest Illinois
2,331 posts, read 2,690,159 times
Reputation: 2433
Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
I am a new smartphone user. I have been using a cheap Tracfone flip phone for my light talk/text needs.

A few months ago a friend upgraded her smartphone and gave me her old one. It's a LG Marquee. I didn't want to activate it as a cell phone as my tracfone is fine for that (at <$10mo). I don't like to talk on the phone much anyways.

I really like the smartphone as a multi-use wifi device, like a mini tablet. I have a Nexus 7 tablet but the smartphone is easier to carry around. I like the camera, GPS and mp3, etc. I could make calls on wifi with Google Voice if I want to.

But the Marquee is old and slow, with Android 2 on it. I'm now starting to think about getting a better used smartphone. I want one for less than $100. One with a bad esn would be great too as I don't care about activating it.

I have just been looking at the ZTE Flash. I can get a new one these days for less than $100. I saw used ones on ebay for $50 or less. It looks pretty good and has features I like: 4.5 inch screen, Android 4.0 (ICS), 12mp camera, mSD slot, replaceable battery.

Are there any other older smartphones out there I should consider that might meet my needs?
Yep, look at a tracfone LG840G which has 3G speed. You can have all that you mentioned, except android (which you're better off without) and wi-fi access and triple minutes for the life of the phone. NO contract or data plan needed either. TracfoneReviewer: LG 840G Review - Tracfone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2014, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Colorado Plateau
1,144 posts, read 3,429,567 times
Reputation: 1241
I have looked closely at the Tracfone feature phones and android phones. They are not quite what I want so I'm passing on them for now.

I did just go ahead and buy a used ZTE Flash on ebay for $60. It's got a clean sprint esn if I decided to activate it someday.

Since I'm doing this on a low budget and it's just for fun I can buy some different smartphones to try out as I see good deals on them. Maybe in a year or so the Samsung Galaxy models will be cheap on ebay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2014, 09:49 AM
 
Location: northwest Illinois
2,331 posts, read 2,690,159 times
Reputation: 2433
Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
I have looked closely at the Tracfone feature phones and android phones. They are not quite what I want so I'm passing on them for now.

I did just go ahead and buy a used ZTE Flash on ebay for $60. It's got a clean sprint esn if I decided to activate it someday.

Since I'm doing this on a low budget and it's just for fun I can buy some different smartphones to try out as I see good deals on them. Maybe in a year or so the Samsung Galaxy models will be cheap on ebay.
I see. Well you mentioned you were on a budget so I figured something other than a smartphone might be a better choice, since the data charges usually require a plan and those will cost more. Wi-fi is free, provides internet access and does not need a plan to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2014, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Wandering.
3,545 posts, read 5,681,436 times
Reputation: 2659
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
I see. Well you mentioned you were on a budget so I figured something other than a smartphone might be a better choice, since the data charges usually require a plan and those will cost more. Wi-fi is free, provides internet access and does not need a plan to work.
You apparently missed the part where the OP wasn't interested in putting it on a plan, and just wanted the smartphone for a mini computer to use on WiFi only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2014, 10:56 AM
 
Location: northwest Illinois
2,331 posts, read 2,690,159 times
Reputation: 2433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
You apparently missed the part where the OP wasn't interested in putting it on a plan, and just wanted the smartphone for a mini computer to use on WiFi only.
No skunk, I saw the OP's entire post no need for you to point anything out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2014, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Wandering.
3,545 posts, read 5,681,436 times
Reputation: 2659
Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
Are there any other older smartphones out there I should consider that might meet my needs?
Really, there are tons of them on eBay for good prices. Lots of them have nice accessories available too. For what you are doing, you can buy different ones inexpensively and resell them on eBay when you are done and want to play with a different one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2014, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Colorado Plateau
1,144 posts, read 3,429,567 times
Reputation: 1241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Really, there are tons of them on eBay for good prices. Lots of them have nice accessories available too. For what you are doing, you can buy different ones inexpensively and resell them on eBay when you are done and want to play with a different one.
Yeah, that's a good idea. Even a step further is that I'll keep an eye out when I go to yard sales in the summer. People might be selling old smartphones there cheap if they don't know what else to do with them. They might be worth flipping on ebay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top