U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 09:40 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Allowing yourself to be trapped in a 2 or even 1 yr contract is just ludicrous! Prepaid options allow you to ditch your phone whenever you feel like! I never understood why people fall for that scam?!
How is it a scam? You get better deals with a contract and better service. And you are never stuck in a contract. You can always leave by terminating it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Switch provider, almost never. Switch phones, about every three months or when I want something different. Sure phone contracts make sense, as long you don't mind doling out the cash for useless reasons when there are cheaper, more flexible alternatives. I NEVER recommend wireless contracts to people, only prepaid options.
You're mischaracterizing it by saying that it is for a useless reason. There are not always equivalent alternatives... especially when it comes to the quality of phones and services available. And not everyone is penny pinching either. Many of us actually work smart and hard and can afford what is a better value to us.

I do find it ironic that you switch from one Walmart dumb phone to another Walmart dumb phone every three months. Since you're so strapped for cash, I'd like to point out this is a nice way to spend money without gaining value on your part.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:51 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,689,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How is it a scam? You get better deals with a contract and better service. And you are never stuck in a contract. You can always leave by terminating it.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion of what works best for them. Sure you can dump your contract during its term, if you don't mind early termination fees? Say what you like, MANY will agree that contracts are the money pits not to be trapped in. There's far cheaper options, for those who don't have money to blow on a contract every month. I've had a prepaid phone for years and always had excellent service and no bills and all the frills I need.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Sure, if you don't mind early termination fees? Say what you like, MANY will agree that contracts are the money pits not to be trapped in. There's far cheaper options, for those who don't have money to blow on a contract every month. I've had a prepaid phone for years and always had excellent service and no bills and all the frills I need.
Contrary to your belief, majority of consumers have determined that contract plans are better for them. The statistics are readily available.

Cheaper doesn't mean better for everyone. Sure, for poor people, cheaper adds a lot of value. But there are various things that add value to different people. There's no one right option for everyone. That's why it's great to have choice.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:50 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,966,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Its either pay $600 and get a cheaper cell plan or pay $199 and be locked into expensive data plan for 2 yrs. Then you have the issue of Android always updating and you pray to God that you manufacturer gives you a update. By time they give you one, the phone feels obsolete and the phone lags on the update and you get a newer phone that handles it better. Then there are the constant bugs on phones and the carrier doesnt seem to release a working fix sometimes, so most people just get a new phone on black Friday and are locked in for 2 more years.

Each new phone now is just slightly better than the last one and it seems like they all have bugs that might get fixed or your trapped with the phone and just learn to deal with it,
If you're worried about having the latest Android OS there's a simple solution, buy an unlocked Nexus device. It takes time, in some cases an unreasonable amount of time, for the carriers to push through the updates. It's one of the main reasons I left Verizon and bought an unlocked Nexus 5 and brought it over to T Mobile.

Of course the OEMs are going to make marginal upgrades to their phones. That's how they create buzz and keep people constantly buying the latest models. If they only came out with new phones every 2, or 3 years, the need for people to upgrade would not be as great.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:56 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,966,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Contrary to your belief, majority of consumers have determined that contract plans are better for them. The statistics are readily available.

Cheaper doesn't mean better for everyone. Sure, for poor people, cheaper adds a lot of value. But there are various things that add value to different people. There's no one right option for everyone. That's why it's great to have choice.
Which is one someone needs to step onto the cable tv scene and disrupt things.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:12 PM

712 posts, read 1,963,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Its either pay $600 and get a cheaper cell plan or pay $199 and be locked into expensive data plan for 2 yrs. Then you have the issue of Android always updating and you pray to God that you manufacturer gives you a update. By time they give you one, the phone feels obsolete and the phone lags on the update and you get a newer phone that handles it better. Then there are the constant bugs on phones and the carrier doesnt seem to release a working fix sometimes, so most people just get a new phone on black Friday and are locked in for 2 more years.

Each new phone now is just slightly better than the last one and it seems like they all have bugs that might get fixed or your trapped with the phone and just learn to deal with it,
Yah, it's great isn't it?

Because look at the old stuff? that floods the used market make it a hell-of-a-lot cheaper for those of switching or doing pre-paid to buy cellphones/smartphones.. I like a lot as of right now Verizon's Incredible 2.. $50-65 base used price.. and the Razr M's are reasonable between $80-160 (depends on features)

Verizon inc2 spec's.. SVGA 1 Ghz proc, 768 mb ram $65
Razr M up to 720p Dual core 1.5 ghz, 1 gb ram $80

Todays standard smartphone 7" 1080p quad core 1.6 ghz, 2 gb ram.. $100+ a month for 2 years or $700 pricetag..

So if you really look at the math and spec's I just put above.. you can see for your $700 smartphone you could have bought 20 smartphone incredible 2's or what 9-10 razr m's (and also since a nexus is $350 brand new and now discontinued.. you can lower those numbers too )

Smartphones are just a cool.. factor.. are all you kids done buying your damn cool smartphones to impress your friends and paying thousands of dollars to a megamillion corporation? Well, are yah? no screw that I'm getting in line at midnight tonight for the iphone 8..

If you don't understand the carriers just care about the monthly money your paying.. and this is the same business model that was in the computer business for years!

So go buy a computer *cough* pocket computer/smartphone and watch it be outdated in 6 months

Old 02-19-2014, 12:07 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,569,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I really hope that's not true...
Sure it is.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Which is one someone needs to step onto the cable tv scene and disrupt things.
We're already there. Cable TV is too specific. But in television entertainment, there are plenty of choices now. More than ever and it will continue to expand.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:42 PM

2,746 posts, read 4,012,917 times
I have the same verizon prepaid flip phone I paid $20 for 3 years ago. I had a "smart" phone and it turned out to be a waste of money. I'm working all day I don't have time to play on a phone and use all the features of a smart phone. And when I leave work I'm driving so again I can't play on a phone. So where do these people find the time to use these handheld computers because thats what they are, they aren't phones. Oh yeah they use them out in public to annoy people

I don't need to pay $100+ a month to be able to look at facebook throughout the day which most of these people do. I'll save my $1,200 a year for useful things.

Also I dropped by flip phone in the toilet dried it out in rice and it works perfectly. With these $500 "smart" phones you gotta worry about breaking them, losing them and being stolen. I don't have to worry about any of that. IF my $20 flip goes no big loss I can buy another. This one lasted 3 years and the calls are crystal clear because that's what a phone is about.

I save the computing for when I'm home. I much rather use a large 15" laptop over a tiny 4" cell phone. My computer is way faster and can do a lot more.

The craziest thing now is they have payment plans for these "smart" phones! that's nuts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones