Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 06:22 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,395 times

Advertisements

Ok, so of these completely rumored and utterly unnanounced phones composed only of hype and rumors, which one do you want?

The G3 is rumored to have a fingerprint scanner, 5.5 inch QHD IPS screen, and a 64 bit LG Odin CPU

The Galaxy S5 is rumored to have a retina scanner, 5.25 inch QHD SAMOLED screen, and a 64 bit Exynos CPU.

Near as I can figure out, the LG Odis is a big.LITTLE setup, basically an Exynos with "LG" silkscreened onto it.

Though, most phone makers end up just throwing Qualcomm CPUs into the American versions of their phones, so they may just end up with Snapdragon 800 or 805 chips here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 03:41 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
As much as I like the hardware these phones will bring, a display greater than 5 inches is too big for me. My 5 inch N5 hits the sweet-spot because I have larger than average hands. For many people, such a large display will require two handed use. Phones such as the Galaxy Note are big hits, so maybe there is larger demand than I anticipate for large displays.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:01 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
As much as I like the hardware these phones will bring, a display greater than 5 inches is too big for me. My 5 inch N5 hits the sweet-spot because I have larger than average hands. For many people, such a large display will require two handed use. Phones such as the Galaxy Note are big hits, so maybe there is larger demand than I anticipate for large displays.
I thought that when I switched from the S3 to the iPhone 5s in September that I would miss the "big screen."

Well... I don't. I actually feel like I'm carrying a phone and not a mini tablet. The screen on the S3 was plenty big... can't imagine using a Note. I won't argue against a big screen on the iPhone 6 but hopefully Apple won't make it too big.

Even if they kept the screen the same size as the 5s I'm not sure I would complain...

Old 12-29-2013, 08:02 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,868,948 times
I love my note 2 and the screen size is perfect for me, but I will not be going back to Samsung after this. Too many other companies are making much better quality phones now and their developer support is absolute sh*t. They're shooting themselves in their own feet right now.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:59 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,395 times
Personally I'm finding Samsung battery life (I have a GS4) difficult to stomach after using an LG Optimus G Pro. LG must have some magic with battery usage, or Samsung's pretty AMOLED screens are really REALLY bad on battery. Which is too bad because they look SOOO nice.

So unless Samsung incorporates a battery breakthrough into the GS5, the LG G3 might end up a better overall device. That's not to say Samsung isn't incorporating a battery breakthrough, and has just managed to keep it under wraps so far. They could certainly benefit from one.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:15 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Ok, so of these completely rumored and utterly unnanounced phones composed only of hype and rumors, which one do you want?

The G3 is rumored to have a fingerprint scanner, 5.5 inch QHD IPS screen, and a 64 bit LG Odin CPU

The Galaxy S5 is rumored to have a retina scanner, 5.25 inch QHD SAMOLED screen, and a 64 bit Exynos CPU.

Near as I can figure out, the LG Odis is a big.LITTLE setup, basically an Exynos with "LG" silkscreened onto it.

Though, most phone makers end up just throwing Qualcomm CPUs into the American versions of their phones, so they may just end up with Snapdragon 800 or 805 chips here.
Neither one, but then I'm biased against android devices and all their tracking crap.
LG840G is safer...

Old 12-30-2013, 07:06 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
I don't like this trend of flagship handsets going to 5 and 5+ inch screens. Unless the bezels are super thin, the phone will be too big.

I think 4.7-4.8 is the sweet spot for a screen size on a phone.

My roommate has a iPhone 4S and the screen feels a big too small, imo.

I also think Samsung should ditch the AMOLED screens and go with IPS instead.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:14 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
AMOLED displays are beautiful, but such battery hogs. I want a breakthrough in battery technology. More and more processing power goes into smartphones, tablets, and laptops, but at some point, we're going to need to develop a new form of battery to harness the power.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:51 AM

122 posts, read 171,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Personally I'm finding Samsung battery life (I have a GS4) difficult to stomach after using an LG Optimus G Pro. LG must have some magic with battery usage, or Samsung's pretty AMOLED screens are really REALLY bad on battery. Which is too bad because they look SOOO nice.

So unless Samsung incorporates a battery breakthrough into the GS5, the LG G3 might end up a better overall device. That's not to say Samsung isn't incorporating a battery breakthrough, and has just managed to keep it under wraps so far. They could certainly benefit from one.
LG has done some remarkable things on the battery life side although it's notorious for software update. The secret sauce is that LG produces some higher-density batteries for its flagships, it also implements GRAM technology which was said to cut down the power consumption by some 10%. Qualcomm SOC also is quite energy efficient in idle.

Display type might be one of the reasons that Samsung devices have worse battery life, but Note3 actually is doing great when it comes to endurance and it sports a huge 5.7'' screen (AMOLED) only with a 3200mAh battery (LG G2 has a smaller 3000mAh capacity).

The rumors have it that Galaxy S5 is to equip a 5.2'' LTPS display. THe device will have a better battery life if it's true. Also the battery size has to increase giving the size of the screen, 3000-3500mAh might be a good choice.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:26 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I don't like this trend of flagship handsets going to 5 and 5+ inch screens. Unless the bezels are super thin, the phone will be too big.

I think 4.7-4.8 is the sweet spot for a screen size on a phone.

My roommate has a iPhone 4S and the screen feels a big too small, imo.

I also think Samsung should ditch the AMOLED screens and go with IPS instead.
Thin bezel is another problem because thin bezel causes touch issues when you hold the sides and your fingers messes up touch. Since Android does not have the screen touch ignore tech like iOS has, it must rely on software tricks to make you not accidentally touch the wrong parts of the screen.

Idea size is about 4.8" imo, I'm using a 5.3" smartphone and it's not for everyone but I would like a tad smaller with a thinner bezel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones