U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 02:56 AM

16,410 posts, read 26,677,983 times

Advertisements

I'll be getting back to the United States in a couple months and it'll be time for me to start up a new cell phone plan. I don't want to go back to Verizon because of the costs so I was looking in to T-Mobile. Does anyone use it? How do they compare to Verizon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 03:43 AM

39,918 posts, read 57,756,731 times
I have T-Mobile for many years now and can't complain.
You might have to check on coverage in your area, in the US.

http://opensignal.com/network-coverage-maps/
http://www.t-mobile.com/landing/whyt-mobile.html
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:43 AM

4,533 posts, read 4,219,420 times
Reception inside og alot of buildings will always be better with verizon. I DOnt think in the 11yrs ive had T Mobile, i could say I had reception while others didnt. They are way better than what they used to be, but Verizon will have better coverage than TMobile, just cost more for service though

Old 02-10-2014, 08:51 AM

29 posts, read 26,931 times
I'm on T-Mo in NYC and the coverage is pretty good. Especially data speeds on LTE.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:13 AM

6,121 posts, read 9,732,024 times
We have T-Mobile, and we get good coverage except when we go out into the hinterlands. Verizon has more coverage out there. But we go to get away, not to stay connected, so we don't mind the lack of coverage.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:58 PM

8,680 posts, read 9,457,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
We have T-Mobile, and we get good coverage except when we go out into the hinterlands. Verizon has more coverage out there. But we go to get away, not to stay connected, so we don't mind the lack of coverage.
As long as you don't plan to travel outside of urban areas T-Mobile is fine. Otherwise AT&T or Verizon is a better choice. Both of these companies work fine where I live. T-Mobile doesn't exist as far as I am concerned.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:25 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,575,431 times
I was on T-Mo for eight years and never had one complaint. They always gave me upgrades as often as I asked for one with the stipulation that I sign a new two year contract each time. I was grandfathered into a data plan I paid $15/month for. Unlimited, yes. Slow, yes. Then I went on to a family plan with Verizon for two years. When that was up I went back to T-Mo only to find their customer service was nowhere as good as it once was. In fact, it was pretty bad. T-Mo went from one of the best in the U.S. (for customer service) to perhaps the worst.

As far as service goes, I never really had a problem with it. Never had a dropped call. I always used BlackBerries with them, though, and had them set for wifi calling, so I seemed to have constant service. If I went anywhere remote and lost a signal, well, I was in an area where I did not expect to get a signal in the first place.

I am now back on a Verizon family plan and to be honest my monthly payment is literally only a few dollars more a month than when I was on the cheapest T-Mo plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Reception inside og alot of buildings will always be better with verizon. I DOnt think in the 11yrs ive had T Mobile, i could say I had reception while others didnt. They are way better than what they used to be, but Verizon will have better coverage than TMobile, just cost more for service though
T-Mo uses a shorter bandwidth, same as AT&T I believe. Verizon uses a longer bandwidth. As such, Verizon towers can broadcast over longer distances and penetrate into deeper into buildings.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:17 AM

1,667 posts, read 1,910,461 times
I use T-Mobile and it's pretty good. Only time I wouldn't recommend them is if you are planning to spend a lot of time in rural areas. In that case I would go with Verizon.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:11 PM

16,410 posts, read 26,677,983 times
Perfect, thanks for the responses. I'm going to go with T-Mobile

Old 02-14-2014, 07:40 PM

973 posts, read 1,256,044 times
In NJ, I never had a problem with the service. Custom service was terrible. I stopped using T-mobile when I got "calls" from a foreign number. I think it was Italy. This was in 2011. The phone number never called me. I just had the charges on my bills. Like 13.00 per minute. I has like 4 or 5 charges. I googled the number and it happened to other. I mentioned this to the representative and the representative got belligerent with me. I said Google the number and you will see it is a scam. To be sure it not me making a webpage, this has been going on for MONTHS and more than one person is reporting it. Then, the rep claimed they had no internet on their computers. Um, ok. I asked to speak with a manager and was told managers also don't have internet on their computers. I said fine. Please cancel my phone number. Then, their tone got happy until they realized my contract had run out months before that. I jsut never had reason to call (and renew it) and there was no store around me. Then, I got the attitude again. Not, I'm on AT&T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones