U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:18 PM

5,319 posts, read 7,963,585 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else here been following the madness about the discontinuation of the game Flappy Bird?

I've seen several people on eBay selling their iPhone's for $50,000 just because they have the game Flappy Bird installed.

Same thing on Craigslist.

Hundreds of people have their iPhones with Flappy Bird listed for sale for thousands of dollars each ... and many have sold!

And all because this silly game "Flappy Bird" was recently pulled from the Apple App store, so you can no longer download it?

Do a search for "Flappy Bird" on eBay and Craigslist, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Flappy Bird has been in the news a lot as well.

Here's a recent article on CNN

Developer yanks 'Flappy Bird' after game soars to success - CNN.com

Quote:
(CNN) -- "Flappy Bird" has flown the coop.
The addictive game that soared to the top of iPhone and Android app downloads disappeared from app stores on Sunday, though players who already have it apparently can keep on flying.
A tweet from the game's creator suggested that its sudden success had become an albatross.
"I am sorry 'Flappy Bird' users, 22 hours from now, I will take 'Flappy Bird' down," developer Dong Nguyen wrote on Saturday. "I cannot take this anymore."
And another at PC Magazine:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2452944,00.asp

Quote:
One such eBay user on Sunday listed a 16GB space gray AT&T iPhone 5s with Flappy Bird installed for a starting price of $650. Less than a day and 74 bids later, the phone is now going for $99,900. Yes, you read that correctly, almost $100,000 for a used iPhone 5s with Flappy Bird installed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 05:59 AM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times
The sucker born every minute quote comes to mind. Maybe I should grab a clean copy off a torrent, sideload it into my old HTC Vivid, and see what I can get for it

Old 02-14-2014, 09:27 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,633,686 times
I haven't heard of a device with flappy birds actually *selling* for $50 or $100K. I've seen the listings on ebay/craigslist for anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a couple thousand but I'm skeptical about even those selling. I think ebay has been taking down the auctions because they require a smartphone to be restored before sale.

It's not a rare game--many, many copies of it were sold especially during the 22 hours after the creator threatened to take it down.

At least for the iPhone versions, I think that in order to sell the phone with the game installed--you also are essentially selling your entire iTunes account with all the rest of your digital property. You can get around this by jailbreaking, but then the ipa file would be available to you to sideload and you wouldn't need to spend so much money.

That being said, I thought I was doing well getting past 8 pipes until I met someone who got past 104. Jeez.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I haven't heard of a device with flappy birds actually *selling* for $50 or $100K. I've seen the listings on ebay/craigslist for anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a couple thousand but I'm skeptical about even those selling. I think ebay has been taking down the auctions because they require a smartphone to be restored before sale.
Do a search for Flappy Bird on eBay.

Then check the box on the left side to show "Sold Listings".

Then sort the listings so they are listed Price Plus Shipping Highest First.

Here is a link to eBay which does all of the above:

flappy bird | eBay

Then page down, and you will see lots of sold iPhones with Flappy Bird on them.

The ones at the top of the list sold for $50,000.

When the price is shown in green, it means the item is sold.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:33 AM

35,973 posts, read 26,066,457 times
Doesn't mean it was paid for. Big difference.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:36 AM

7,444 posts, read 13,081,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Do a search for Flappy Bird on eBay.

Then check the box on the left side to show "Sold Listings".

Then sort the listings so they are listed Price Plus Shipping Highest First.

Here is a link to eBay which does all of the above:

flappy bird | eBay

Then page down, and you will see lots of sold iPhones with Flappy Bird on them.

The ones at the top of the list sold for $50,000.

When the price is shown in green, it means the item is sold.
Hmmm ... I wonder how many of those "sales" will actually be completed, though (not just an ended auction with a buyer, which AFAIK is what ebay considers a "completed" listing) -- i.e., I wonder if money will actually exchange hands. I can imagine some of those buyers waking up the next morning and thinking "WTF did I do??!!" -- in other words, lots of buyer's remorse going on!

ETA: Timberline beat me to it!

Old 02-14-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Hmmm ... I wonder how many of those "sales" will actually be completed, though (not just an ended auction with a buyer, which AFAIK is what ebay considers a "completed" listing) -- i.e., I wonder if money will actually exchange hands. I can imagine some of those buyers waking up the next morning and thinking "WTF did I do??!!" -- in other words, lots of buyer's remorse going on!

ETA: Timberline beat me to it!
A Completed Listing, is any one where the auction has ended, or the item is no longer for sale.

If the item didn't sell, the Completed Listing price is shown in Red.

If the item sold, the Completed Listing price is shown in Green.

There is no way to be certain how many of these were paid for, but I would guess many have.

Take a look how many have sold already. It's literally over a hundred.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
A Completed Listing, is any one where the auction has ended, or the item is no longer for sale.

If the item didn't sell, the Completed Listing price is shown in Red.

If the item sold, the Completed Listing price is shown in Green.
Yes, I know all that. What "completed listing" DOESN'T show is whether or not the item was actually PAID for.

Quote:
There is no way to be certain how many of these were paid for, but I would guess many have.

Take a look how many have sold already. It's literally over a hundred.
I'm just really skeptical that anyone would actually pay thousands of dollars for a used phone, "completed listing" or not. I wonder how many of those "sold items" have been re-listed?

Actually, I just checked ebay ... lots of "completed items" are listed in red, which means they didn't sell, and I randomly clicked on a few that were in green so supposedly sold -- one was already re-listed (which likely means the "buyer" didn't pay -- the seller has negative 1 feedback!) and the others I checked (again, only a few) had "buyers" with 0 feedback, which means they are brand new to ebay (and more likely NOT to complete transactions). Hmmm. (EG one bidding history listed 25 bids but only 2 bidders, both with 0 feedback. That one might actually have been bought, as it was $611, not that much more than a new iPhone.)

Old 02-14-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Yes, I know all that. What "completed listing" DOESN'T show is whether or not the item was actually PAID for.

I'm just really skeptical that anyone would actually pay thousands of dollars for a used phone, "completed listing" or not. I wonder how many of those "sold items" have been re-listed?

Actually, I just checked ebay ... lots of "completed items" are listed in red, which means they didn't sell, and I randomly clicked on a few that were in green so supposedly sold -- one was already re-listed (which likely means the "buyer" didn't pay -- the seller has negative 1 feedback!) and the others I checked (again, only a few) had "buyers" with 0 feedback, which means they are brand new to ebay (and more likely NOT to complete transactions). Hmmm. (EG one bidding history listed 25 bids but only 2 bidders, both with 0 feedback. That one might actually have been bought, as it was $611, not that much more than a new iPhone.)
Yes ... it's hard to say which ones were paid for?

We really won't know until a few weeks from now, after actual feedback starts appearing on sold listings.

Right now, it's still too early.

Flappy Bird was just pulled from the app stores last week, so most of these eBay listings are fairly new.

It takes a week or more to ship, so we won't know until items start arriving to the buyer, and real feedback is left for the sellers.

But I just get a kick out of the frenzy people are having with this ridiculous game.

It reminds me of the outrageous prices people were willing to spend on Cabbage Patch Kids and Tickle Me Elmo.

Only back then ... we were talking hundreds of dollars. Now we are talking thousands of dollars!

Old 02-14-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
But I just get a kick out of the frenzy people are having with this ridiculous game.

It reminds me of the outrageous prices people were willing to spend on Cabbage Patch Kids and Tickle Me Elmo.

Only back then ... we were talking hundreds of dollars. Now we are talking thousands of dollars!
Completely agree with you!! I find it mind-boggling that that people would even THINK of spending thousands of dollars for a used phone with a GAME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones