U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 12:09 AM

307 posts, read 327,364 times

Advertisements

a. better protection against eavesdropping of private info.
b. Saves cell battery and minutes for away from home.
c. Easier for 911 to locate you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 12:12 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,690,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVERSMVP14 View Post
NOT me. I don't want to be located!

Old 02-16-2014, 05:41 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,490,499 times
Quote:
a. It's just as easy to tap into your phone call at the local phone companies switch-house as it is to tap into your call at the cell tower. It's not like your cell broadcasts directly to the other cell. Both types of calls go pretty much the same path after the first 3-4 miles, (presuming you're not using Internet-VOIP).

b. Accurate, but not economical. When I dropped my land line, it's absolute minimum fee was about $25/month. I calculated that for that much, I could get a lot of extra minutes, and even buy a 2nt battery to keep on the charger.

c. This I don't understand. If you are at home, Quite true that a land line call to 911 will show your address. However, if you are at home and use your cell, it shows your location (to about 10 feet), plus your name and account, (that I presume includes your billing address). It shouldn't take a genius to match those two locations. I guess you might have a problem if your home location is somewhere where you don't have GPS or WiFi, (or Cell Tower) reception, so your cell can't self-locate. But I suspect very few residences have this problem.

You left out the reason that kept me using a land line for several years.
In the event of a power emergency.
The phone company keeps their system up with backup generators and batteries, but usually how much depends on which facility. Their main switch-buildings probably can run for days. But I suspect each cell tower has much less protection, (hours at most?).

Also, and for the same reasons, the central phone switch building will almost certainly be restored earlier than whatever cell tower is close to your house.

But once the cable company started providing high-speed Internet, I dropped my land line.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,858 posts, read 56,261,586 times
The power outage thing is not as important as it used to be, because most people have cordless phones that will run out of charge in a long outage, or the land line is actually coming through their router which requires power.

The main disadvantage is that unless you pay extra the land line number is listed in the phone book and therefor subject to many annoying charitable solicitations, surveys, and political calls, all legal under the do not call registry, and also illegal robocalls. I don't get any of those on the cell and when I do I block them with an App.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:51 AM

2,049 posts, read 1,366,026 times
I cancelled my land line, last year.

Rarely used it, as all incoming calls were via my cell phone. The big plus to canceling it, I don't have to deal with all of the marketing calls.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:39 AM

4,593 posts, read 8,199,855 times
Quote:
Your analog landline by default has zero security controls built in. Your landline can be tapped anywhere as long as physical access is available. This can be right outside your house where the demarc is, sitting on the telephone pole, or at the CO. Cell calls aren't that much better in that while GSM and CDMA calls are encrypted OTA, the algorithm is rather weak. Not to mention that once it reaches your telco provider, your conversation is 'in the clear'. In essence, neither provides a whole lot of "privacy" for a motivated attacker.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:57 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,268,988 times
Home alarm system: The alarm company technician was out last fall to repair the system, and asked what phone line was. Said that cable phone service, and Uverse phone lines caused a lot of problems with the alarm system dialing out.

Reliability: Has never gone out, even in the worst weather, ice storm and trees down everywhere and widespread power outages.

911 system: Provides accurate location every time. With cell you may not even be connected to the correct 911 center.

Reverse 911 system: Emergency notifications that effect only a portion of the county.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:33 PM

8,680 posts, read 9,457,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Home alarm system: The alarm company technician was out last fall to repair the system, and asked what phone line was. Said that cable phone service, and Uverse phone lines caused a lot of problems with the alarm system dialing out.

Reliability: Has never gone out, even in the worst weather, ice storm and trees down everywhere and widespread power outages.

911 system: Provides accurate location every time. With cell you may not even be connected to the correct 911 center.

Reverse 911 system: Emergency notifications that effect only a portion of the county.
I would LOVE to drop my landline, but...

And this is a big but...

Where we live we do get power failures in winter. Four or five some times. Did you know that CA gets the most snow of any state or province in North America? Now you do! Many storms are measured in feet. Tahoe can have a 10 or 25 foot thickness on the ground. Heavy storms most winters. Every year we will lose cell phone service at my house for a day or five once or three times for a day or week. Sometimes a few hours. Sometimes five days. Big snow at times means power loss. Often enough. Not a big deal with wood heat and a generator. Kinda romantic at times. Candles...ah!

So we keep a back up corded phone and pay $40 a month to AT&T for safety and social reasons. Such is the price one pays living in vacation land.

Yea, I wish I could cut the cord...

Old 02-17-2014, 04:34 PM

31,146 posts, read 50,318,661 times
I live in one of the few towns in our state that has cellphone signal. The interstate cuts through our township [though we have no off-ramp]. Cellphone companies place repeater towers along the interstates to provide cell coverage to folks driving through the area. But if you travel more than 10 miles to either side of the interstate, you lose signal. Most [the clear majority] townships here have no cell phone signal.

My land is adjacent to a repeater tower, so I have good signal.

On the other hand, our landline has terrible audio. We end up yelling on it, so folks simply call us on our cellphone. Much better audio, a very clear sound.

Where I live the cellphone is the best choice. But if you had to leave our town, and go out to any of the townships that are away from the interstate, then a cellphone will not work.

We keep the landline service because it gives us internet. No cable in our town.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:11 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,968,972 times
Quote:
Most landlines are roughly $25/mo for no frills service.
$300/year
$3,000/10 years

You're willing to pay that... so 911 can find in the chance that if something does happen to you will be at home and they can find you 30 seconds faster? Really?
Because frankly your other 2 reasons are not good reasons at all....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones