U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 05:46 PM

13,325 posts, read 20,377,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Loosely speaking, no as far as the cops are concerned. Notice one thing, IF they do a officer safety search of you for weapons they will remove everything from your pockets or purse. When they pick up your phone they will move off camera to go through your contacts ( if they can). The lock code stops this.
Of course, the lock code stops it, but it still should apply. You said, "as far as the cops are concerned". I get that they could charge you, but isn't illegally obtained evidence thrown out in court?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 08:22 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,690,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Of course, the lock code stops it, but it still should apply. You said, "as far as the cops are concerned". I get that they could charge you, but isn't illegally obtained evidence thrown out in court?
NOT if the evidence is collected unofficially by the cops, such as phone data. If the names and numbers of felons or dealers are in your phone ( unbeknownst to you) then this is intel THEY WANT. The court would never see this.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:34 PM

167 posts, read 298,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I have a Note 3 and it's usually on me. Should I still configure a pass code for my phone?
yes

pattern is easier than a code , but that's up to you

put the owner contact info on the lock screen , so if you ever lose it ...........(well there are good people in the world still ) ,
to get ur phone back

Old 03-05-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
NOT if the evidence is collected unofficially by the cops, such as phone data. If the names and numbers of felons or dealers are in your phone ( unbeknownst to you) then this is intel THEY WANT. The court would never see this.
If I'm not involved in anything criminal, then what good does it do them to ge the phone number off my phone?

Old 03-05-2014, 09:47 AM

39,918 posts, read 57,756,731 times
Maybe you need to know your rights:
Know Your Rights | Jay K. Ramey Attorney at Law
or you can download it here: ( for US citizens and non-citizens, also in other languages)
Know your rights when encountering law enforcement
or here from a Government Website
Civil Rights
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 03-05-2014 at 10:17 AM..

Old 03-05-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
If I'm not involved in anything criminal, then what good does it do them to ge the phone number off my phone?
Like I said above, YOU might have service numbers in your phone of people who you call to have work done on your car, house, boat or anything and these numbers *might* be tied to people involved in dealing drugs, or money laundering,etc. You have no way of knowing what might be going on with them right? You're innocent! But, those people who you know could be people that your local cops are interested in.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Like I said above, YOU might have service numbers in your phone of people who you call to have work done on your car, house, boat or anything and these numbers *might* be tied to people involved in dealing drugs, or money laundering,etc. You have no way of knowing what might be going on with them right? You're innocent! But, those people who you know could be people that your local cops are interested in.
Well, okay then. I think that if the cops are looking for that info in my phone then they are probably bot good investigators.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:06 PM

Cops always go fishing on traffic stops because they have NO idea exactly what you have or don't. This is why your phone is one of those items which might interest them. DON'T be the bait!

Old 03-06-2014, 10:13 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,268,988 times
Quote:
There have been instances in different parts of the country where police will do a quick look thru someone's phone on a simple traffic stop if a personal search is done. most of these cops are looking for two things. 1. They want to see if your phone holds names of any drug dealers or felons they have interest in. 2. If they're really trolling for tickets, they'll check to see if you were texting in the 5 min prior to your stop. That said, a security code will keep them out because they know they can't legally have it if you say no. Otherwise it's personal choice if you choose to secure it.
That is a violation of your 4th amendment rights, and no one should every submit to a warrant-less search.

During a traffic stop, a cop many pat down a subject to check for weapons, this is for officer safety.

They may not look under seats, in glove compartments, trunks, etc. as that is a warrant-less search. If a citizen is legally armed they may not run the serial number of the gun against their database and they may not look at call history, texts, pictures or contacts on your phone.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:08 PM

Ashville Native, you're right BUT the cops will attempt whatever they can with those people who DON'T know their rights. Here's a article I found on this same issue, Supreme Court to weigh cell phone searches by police - U.S. News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones