Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 05:09 AM

10,923 posts, read 21,868,138 times

Advertisements

Slap Flappy Birds on it and throw it up for $800
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 07:31 AM

43,014 posts, read 76,500,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Apparently, I spoke too soon. For the last two days, I've had a LOT of people express interest in the phone and three of them said they definitely wanted it and wanted to know when they could come by to pick it up.

I said anytime, as I had the last two days free. My e-mail has remained opened and I've responded to every inquiry within minutes.

No one has shown up, even after four or five email exchanges between us.

Is this normal? Are there people who do this, never showing up and thinking it's funny? Call me naive but I would never think of doing that to someone. I just don't understand.

Honestly, I'm tempted to pull THAT ad off Craigslist and RE-list the ad for $350 instead of $300. I don't want to do eBay because I don't want to have to deal with the fees, packaging, shipping and all the extra time. I don't have a car, so....
Yep. That's Craigslist.
One thing Craigslist taught me: Keep selling it until the money shows up. Talk is free and easy.

No car? People coming to your house? I'm not a fan, unless it is furniture, a car, etc. Craigslist is not risk-free.
Frankly, I always want to meet phone buyers in public. Preferably at the carrier's company store. They can check the phone with the carrier, and hand over the cash and activate then and there.
Bear in mind: MANY phone buyers are folks who cannot get a phone subsidized by the carrier because they have no credit. Ergo: I have dealt with a couple of shifty characters, but I am 6-5, and about 250#, and stay on my toes.

Only ever had one no show, though. It was childish. She would text me and say she was leaving the house and be at the store in 5 minutes. After a few of those, I called it an evening.

You can do great on Craigslist, but it is certainly a wide-open market. Be cautious.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:05 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,633,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Slap Flappy Birds on it and throw it up for $800
What's Flappy Birds? Actually, I've already completely wiped the phone clean so, whoever buys it will have to set it up from the Welcome Screen. Now I'm curious and will need to check out what Flappy Birds is! It wouldn't really up the price, would it? (Like I said, I'm naive about this stuff!) I'm back on my 9 year old LG Flip Phone that still looks brand new and still holds a full charge for two weeks! (Not to mention that I just cut my phone bill by 55%!)

Old 03-04-2014, 02:10 PM

10,923 posts, read 21,868,138 times
Quote:
What's Flappy Birds?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/cell-...appy-bird.html

Old 03-04-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yep. That's Craigslist.
One thing Craigslist taught me: Keep selling it until the money shows up. Talk is free and easy.

No car? People coming to your house? I'm not a fan, unless it is furniture, a car, etc. Craigslist is not risk-free.
Frankly, I always want to meet phone buyers in public. Preferably at the carrier's company store. They can check the phone with the carrier, and hand over the cash and activate then and there.
Bear in mind: MANY phone buyers are folks who cannot get a phone subsidized by the carrier because they have no credit. Ergo: I have dealt with a couple of shifty characters, but I am 6-5, and about 250#, and stay on my toes.

Only ever had one no show, though. It was childish. She would text me and say she was leaving the house and be at the store in 5 minutes. After a few of those, I called it an evening.

You can do great on Craigslist, but it is certainly a wide-open market. Be cautious.
I thought about that, too. But, I live in an apartment complex and would meet them in the lobby where the security cameras are.

I took my ad on Craigslist down yesterday and re-listed it today for $350. I do have a Verizon store six blocks from my apartment. Maybe I should go there and try to sell it to customers!

Old 03-04-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
All because of a game? Wow. Too bad I didn't realize that to get in on the action. If Flappy Birds is so popular, why is it discontinued? Wonder if I could still find it. Hmmm....

Edited to add: I just looked at the game. THAT'S what people are crazy about? There have been games like that (tapping to get objects like airplanes, helicopters, etc., through objects) for YEARS!

I truly don't understand. I got Flappy Bird in my iTunes now. Should I really go as far as putting it on my phone and selling it that way? If I could figure this out in 10 minutes, why aren't other people doing it instead of paying a fortune?

Last edited by plain and simple; 03-04-2014 at 03:01 PM..

Old 03-04-2014, 09:13 PM

168 posts, read 362,917 times
dude , ebay ebay ebay
craigslist is good for furniture

I sold lot of stuff on Ebay and electronic ,especially smart phones , especially apple sells good
and its a clean sell , you dont get to deal with people , sometimes they ask you questions via @mail
and that's it
you dont send them item until $$ hits the paypal

if that baby is unlocked , good condition , with the box and all what came in it
it's 300-350 easy peasy lemon squeezy

I lol'd at best buy offer

good luck

Old 03-04-2014, 09:32 PM

Yeah, well, I've about had it with Craigslist. I'm convinced that none of the inquiries were even legitimate because nobody responds the way these people have just to never contact you again. With my new ad for $350, one guy asked if I'd lower the price to $320. I wrote back and said I'd lower it to $300 if he would pick it up today. He never responded back. That's fishy.

Either someone here found my ad and is playing games with me or Craigslist is full of trolls who get their kicks out of being juvenile. Either way, may they be plagued with the fleas from 1,000 camels.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:57 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,628,292 times
Quote:
Yeah, well, I've about had it with Craigslist. I'm convinced that none of the inquiries were even legitimate because nobody responds the way these people have just to never contact you again. With my new ad for $350, one guy asked if I'd lower the price to $320. I wrote back and said I'd lower it to $300 if he would pick it up today. He never responded back. That's fishy.

Either someone here found my ad and is playing games with me or Craigslist is full of trolls who get their kicks out of being juvenile. Either way, may they be plagued with the fleas from 1,000 camels.
That seems common with craigslist. Hope you didn't give your address.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:24 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,393,156 times
Quote:

It might not be a scam. They may have just found it somewhere else. It is common courtesy to reply saying this but not everyone has common courtesy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones