U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 11:28 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Cell phone carriers have to have you set up an e911 address, don't they. If you're calling from that address you should be okay, no?
Yes, with most cell phone users in the US, this is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 11:37 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,688,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Most cell phones sold in the US since 2006 have had GPS' built into them. The only ones that don't today are the utter garbage phones... at which point, you're pretty careless anyways.

The idea that locating a phone without GPS is limited to the nearest tower is complete BS. You can get much more accurate results than just where the nearest tower is.
There are MANY full featured cells on the market which do NOT have GPS, and I have three different phones from two different Mfg. which do not have it. Which is why I bought them. 2 LG phones and a Motorola. I'm careless?? How so? Because I don't want GPS? IF a phone is NOT equipped with GPS then the only other way to locate that phone is to have the tower closest to that phone report the ESN to the carrier who in return notifies the PSAP. Don't take my word for it, ask your closest E911 center how they do it.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:59 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
There are MANY full featured cells on the market which do NOT have GPS, and I have three different phones from two different Mfg. which do not have it. Which is why I bought them. 2 LG phones and a Motorola. I'm careless?? How so? Because I don't want GPS?
The point is that you're in the minority. The extremely small minority. The majority of people in the US have GPS equipped smartphones. Of the remaining users, most have GPS equipped dumbphones (which have been available in all but the lowest quality phones since 2006).
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
IF a phone is NOT equipped with GPS then the only other way to locate that phone is to have the tower closest to that phone report the ESN to the carrier who in return notifies the PSAP. Don't take my word for it, ask your closest E911 center how they do it.
As stated earlier, you're completely wrong here. If a GPS is not present (or cannot lock), the network will use forward link timing, if available, and then finally triangulation to calculate coordinates. The result will be much more accurate than the location of the closest tower.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:22 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,688,992 times
I won't have GPS because I prefer not to be tracked, that's just a thing I have with privacy. My truck doesn't have it or onstar either. SOME carriers CAN triangulate but not all of them. One carrier I can tell you that does NOT is U.S. Cellular. They will ping their towers for a requested ESN, then when located that phone will ping back confirming the closest location, usually within a mile or so. It's not always that easy to locate a phone, especially if it's off while in transit. Different carriers don't always have the same abilities as others. Some will provide a location to a PSAP on request, others require the officer to call them direct. Our sheriff's dept does this all the time when motorists get screwed up on the interstate or have med issues. Like I said, there are excellent phones made without GPS for a reason, because it's not always wanted, just like androids are not always wanted. I'm not trying to argue with you, your closest PSAP can explain their system.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:16 AM

13,314 posts, read 20,365,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
A what?
I have no idea what you're asking.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:23 AM

31,141 posts, read 50,298,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I have no idea what you're asking.
We use cellphones, I have never heard of an e911 address.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:38 AM

2,591 posts, read 1,789,937 times
We dropped our landline two years ago. We live in two locations that don't have strong cell phone service, so we have Microcells through ATT. They are basically mini cell towers using our internet and are signal boosters for low signal areas.. We get 5 bars in the house where we use to get 2 or less. Registering these have our address and info available when calling 911.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:22 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,678,821 times
Quote:
We use cellphones, I have never heard of an e911 address.
I haven't on cell, but we registered our VOIP numbers for e911.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:25 AM

31,141 posts, read 50,298,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I haven't on cell, but we registered our VOIP numbers for e911.
I was not aware that such existed.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:00 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,004,513 times
Quote:
I was not aware that such existed.

FYI for everyone.

911 Wireless Services | FCC.gov
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones