U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 01:34 PM

6,665 posts, read 9,240,572 times

Advertisements

As you all know many people nowadays have a cell phone as their only phone instead of landline home phones. Is this the best thing for everyone? My cousin has a cell phone as her only phone. The problem was that recently she lost the phone and had no phone for making any calls. This got me wondering if it was a good idea to have a cell phone as your only phone? I mean you can loose the phone,have it stolen or damage it after dropping it on concrete. I think everyone should have at least two phones. Either having a home phone plus a cell phone or two cell phones. What's your opinion on this? Are some people's situations better for still having a landline home phone? Or are some people's situation better for just a cell phone?

A good article on the pros and cons of this:

Quote:
Dialing 911 on a cellular phone still connects you to a law enforcement agency in your local area. If you're experiencing an emergency and need help, the party who receives the call has to reroute your call to the appropriate first responders and will need you to tell them your location. This is obviously a serious problem if you're injured and can't speak or are in a situation where every second counts. It's for this reason that many law enforcement agencies advise you to always call 911 from a land line whenever possible.

Yahoo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 01:51 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,001,368 times
I have my cell phone and my office phone. That's enough for me.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:57 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,006,220 times
My wife and I have been cell only for almost a decade.

I am sure there are plenty of reasons to keep a landline handy, including the one from this Yahoo article snippet. We just havent found ourselves being in a situation where it warrants having one anymore.

As far as that article its true, but not the whole picture. All devices in the US are equipped with what is called e911 or ICE services. While they are not fixed like a land line phone is (obvisouly) your device does have the ability to be pinged for its location via cellular triangulation A-GPS or even nowadays, standalone GPS. Have you heard of any stories where someone had been lost or stranded and emergency services were able to locate them via cell phone signal?
Technically the article is correct in that you will have the most direct line via landline, but I am not really sure how much of a delay there actually is between switching to the correct area for dispatch. That seems more like the focus of the issue than anything else. eg.What is the average response time for operators having to transfer using a cell phone for emergencies?

So based on that article, why would anyone be willing to keep a landline if there is a likelihood that you are unable to reach the landline phone to begin with in case of emergency? A cellphone is perhaps more likely to be in someones pocket or within reach (eg countertop, table) vs hung up on a wall, out of reach if on the floor. Maybe lucky enough to have a wireless landline?

Old 03-09-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
My wife and I have been cell only for almost a decade.

I am sure there are plenty of reasons to keep a landline handy, including the one from this Yahoo article snippet. We just havent found ourselves being in a situation where it warrants having one anymore.
Have you considered how you would handle communicating at your home if your cell phone was lost,stolen or damaged? My cousin went into panic mode when she thought her cell phone was stolen. That was her only phone.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:29 PM

167 posts, read 298,298 times
if you lose your phone , it's like everything else
maybe complete loss, maybe not

dont have a cell/smart phone unless you cant handle that loss
if you have a cell/smart phone , keep eye on it like a hawk
you can buy insurance for your phone
you can have tracking services on your phone
remote wipe your phone

to replace it it's easy , just walk into the store, get another one
everything is in the cloud, it's gonna be exact the same after sync

Old 03-09-2014, 04:52 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,001,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Have you considered how you would handle communicating at your home if your cell phone was lost,stolen or damaged? My cousin went into panic mode when she thought her cell phone was stolen. That was her only phone.
My tablet and laptop have Skype, Facebook messenger, Tango, WhatsApp, email, and several other communication methods.

Perhaps your cousin wasn't worried about how she would communicate. Perhaps your cousin was more like "OMG WTF WILL I DO WITHOUT MY CELLPHONE??? I CAN'T TEXT ANYONE!! IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!!!!" Or something along those lines.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:07 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,680,797 times
Quote:
Well... we have insurance, and there are 3 of us with phones, and we have 2 or 3 older phones that could be reactivated.

So, nope, not worried about that at all.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:17 PM

3,450 posts, read 6,331,405 times
Quote:
Have you considered how you would handle communicating at your home if your cell phone was lost,stolen or damaged?
And yet, mankind has survived thousands of years without a land line or cell phone. The telephone as we know it hasn't been around for a very long in the grand scheme of things.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:38 PM

Has anyone tried a wireless home phone system? To those not familiar it's another way to move from landline while still having a home phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f96VFgi2ujc

Old 03-10-2014, 09:33 AM

2,049 posts, read 1,365,804 times
Dropped my landline awhile ago. It was a total waste of money, as everyone calls me on my cell phone.

I have an older cell phone set aside for backup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones