Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 09:00 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,171 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My wife and I have used Verizon for as long as we can remember having cell phones.... 10+ years. I've always stuck by them because they seemed to be reliable with service no matter where I was but with improvements made throughout the years it seems like many other companies are just as reliable or could be even better.

We're looking to bring our costs down... We both have iPhone's and the family share plan with unlimited text and voice and 1GB of data.. and we're still paying over $120 per month and that's just about as "bare-bones" as you can get with a smartphone family plan.

My company upgraded our company smartphones from Blackberries to brand new Iphone 5's... so needless to say I barely use my personal iphone anymore and am thinking it'll make much more sense to search around for plans that make sense and would hopefully be less expensive.

I still find it important to have that personal phone... god forbid something happens at my job and I either get let go or leave, I don't want to leave myself with nothing. What would anyone's suggestions be for us so we're still getting what we need but paying less?

I'd still like my wife to have a quality smart-phone... up to her if she wants to stick with Iphone or go back to an android phone and I think if it makes "dollars and sense" to do so she'll have zero problems switching. I'm going to assume too that it may be in my best interest to just get some "crap phone" since I'm using my Iphone 5 work phone for pretty much everything... data stuff included.

Any suggestions out there? Also to take into consideration... I get a 20% monthly discount on my line and certain accessories through Verizon. Still.. even with that it's amazing it's so expensive. I have zero experience with other providers and many of my family/friends use Verizon as well so I can't even get much advice from them. Thanks in advance everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 10:22 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
If you're happy with Verizon's network in your area take a look at one of the no contract carriers that use it's network such as StraightTalk, $45 a month unlimited.

Welcome to Straight Talk

Old 05-07-2014, 10:41 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,208 times
If it ain't broke... Don't fix it. I don't see you getting a better deal for what you are paying unless you do what is suggested in the first response... I see they are older smartphones.

I've been with Verizon since 1998... I started with Alltel and remember the buyout. I'd really consider providers like Tmobile and Sprint if I wanted craptastic coverage but since I don't... I won't.

I use a 64GB iPhone 5s. I pay $125 a month for 450 talk, 1000 text, 5GB data.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
If it ain't broke... Don't fix it. I don't see you getting a better deal for what you are paying unless you do what is suggested in the first response... I see they are older smartphones.

I've been with Verizon since 1998... I started with Alltel and remember the buyout. I'd really consider providers like Tmobile and Sprint if I wanted craptastic coverage but since I don't... I won't.

I use a 64GB iPhone 5s. I pay $125 a month for 450 talk, 1000 text, 5GB data.

That's what we're paying total per month for our family plan... I'm trying to convince her that we won't do much better then where we are.

The best bet at this point is maybe I'll just use my work phone for personal/work use and completely get rid of my other phone. That's the only way I'm seeing our monthly bill drop that much more dramatically.

We'll definitely shop around just to be sure but my confidence on finding something drastically better is quite low.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
That's what we're paying total per month for our family plan... I'm trying to convince her that we won't do much better then where we are.

The best bet at this point is maybe I'll just use my work phone for personal/work use and completely get rid of my other phone. That's the only way I'm seeing our monthly bill drop that much more dramatically.

We'll definitely shop around just to be sure but my confidence on finding something drastically better is quite low.
Getting rid of the other phone is an option.

My contract is up in July and I can shop around but I don't see any better deals out there.

I use the 5GB package for $125 a month during the summer when I'm out and about uploading more videos to YouTube/Facebook... in the winter I fall back to 2GB for $105 a month.

I'm grandfathered in to the old 450 minute plans and no reason to change it... I'm single and have no use for family share plans.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:29 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
With AT&T's new plans, we pay $90 a month for our two iPhones. 2gigs of data and unlimited everything else. Was paying $120 on the old pricing system-prior to March 2014.

Been real happy with AT&T coverage.

Last edited by Mr5150; 05-07-2014 at 12:32 PM..

Old 05-07-2014, 11:29 AM

Yeah I was grandfathered into a few things and one of which was the unlimited data plan which was $30 per month. It got to the point though where I realized that we barely used 2-3 GB per month of data and going to the "share everything" plan where it's a mere $10 per month for the limited data usage made much more sense. I was proud of the $20 per month savings, LOL!

The best option I'm thinking at this moment is just rid of my phone line and have her on her own plan and that should get the bill well under $100 per month...

Old 05-07-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
With AT&T's new plans, we pay $90 a month for our two iPhones. 2gigs of data and unlimited everything else. Was paying $120 on the old pricing system-prior to March 2014.

Been real happy with AT&T coverage.
This is exactly what we have now with Verizon... Unlimited call/text and 2GB per month. Well actually I just knocked it down to 1GB and saved an additional $10 per month since I barely use my personal phone anymore.

I'd certainly be happy with $90-$100 per month coverage on the 2 phones...

Old 05-07-2014, 11:48 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
This is exactly what we have now with Verizon... Unlimited call/text and 2GB per month. Well actually I just knocked it down to 1GB and saved an additional $10 per month since I barely use my personal phone anymore.

I'd certainly be happy with $90-$100 per month coverage on the 2 phones...
I should mention that the way certain discounts are set up, the 2 gig plan is cheaper than the one gig plan.

Edit: I went to ATT site and came to find out the discount I enjoy is for people who had existing 2 year plans prior to March 16, 2014. But still, 2 phones and 1 gig is $105

Last edited by Mr5150; 05-07-2014 at 12:31 PM..

Old 05-07-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
The best option I'm thinking at this moment is just rid of my phone line and have her on her own plan and that should get the bill well under $100 per month...
Probably your best bet.

I'd think you'd be foolish to switch... Nobody beats Verizon's coverage. For me that fact alone is worth any potential $5-$10 savings if I were to switch to another carrier.

I'm definitely happy with the price I pay considering the data I use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones