Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 03:54 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times

Advertisements

Lately I've been having some serious problems with my relatively new Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and I think it's about to die a horrible death. I am looking for a new Android phone, preferably one that doesn't use up more than half of its memory capacity on nonremovable bloatware. I want a smartphone that has expandable memory and is not Windows based. I'm on the AT&T network, and use my phone for pretty basic stuff: texting, GPS, checking my email, web browsing, taking pics and music (those are big), and the occasional phone call. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 05:36 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,395 times
Unfortunately your options are a little limited. Samsungs are loaded with bloatware, both AT&T and Samsung brand. LGs aren't too bad, the G2, G Pro 2, and upcoming G3 might be options, they have some bloat but most of it can be shut off or disabled. HTC's One M8 is nice, but the "Ultrapixel" camera is only 4 MP and might not be to your liking.

Your best bet is to buy something off of Google Play, a Nexus or a Google Play Edition phone (this is the only place you should by a Samsung from). They come completely without bloatware, the "pure Google" experience, and all the good and bad that comes with it.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:01 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Really, the only Android phone guaranteed not to have bloatware is a Nexus. Everything else is apt to have whatever the carrier and the manufacturer opt to put on it.

As an alternative, you could try to learn enough about the Android OS to root and install third-party ROMs. The best phones for root+ROM will vary by carrier.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:02 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Really, the only Android phone guaranteed not to have bloatware is a Nexus. Everything else is apt to have whatever the carrier and the manufacturer opt to put on it.

As an alternative, you could try to learn enough about the Android OS to root and install third-party ROMs. The best phones for root+ROM will vary by carrier.
Or even just root and kill the bloatware if you don't want to run a custom ROM.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:01 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
If you want a phone free of carrier and OEM bloatware, go with a Nexus 5. You can buy it directly from Google and they sell the phones unlocked. This will allow you to take a Sim card from say T Mobile, or At&t and pop it in for use. With a Nexus 5 you're getting a stock Android experience and you'll also get timely software updates and you know you'll be getting the new Android L update this fall.

Google also sells Google Play Editions of some popular phones, but those cost a good deal more than the Nexus 5 and apart from perhaps the camera, there isn't really a compelling reason to spend the extra money, imo.

Or as others have mentioned you can go the route of rooting your phone and flashing a custom ROM.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:17 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
Android KitKat lets you 'turn off' the bloatware without having to uninstall it, so it's less of an issue than it used to be. With that said, my Galaxy S4 is still slower than I'd like with many apps from the play store, so if I was you I'd wait for the Nexus 5 to have a price drop, or perhaps get a Oneplus One.

What you buy should have at least 2GB of ram, but 3GB is preferred, and a minimum snapdragon 800 series processor. Beware the battery capacity on the Nexus 5 is a joke though and it's power will ensure that battery gets eaten through quickly.

I like how the samsung S4/S5 have micro sd card slots and removable batteries.

Beware of apps that restart themselves when killed and avoid installing them. I only install apps that stay closed when I kill them with the exception of Iheart radio which I find just too handy to not have. If using an app killer, only kill apps that stay closed when killed. It's a waste of resources to kill an app that just restarts right away.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:12 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Android KitKat lets you 'turn off' the bloatware without having to uninstall it, so it's less of an issue than it used to be. With that said, my Galaxy S4 is still slower than I'd like with many apps from the play store, so if I was you I'd wait for the Nexus 5 to have a price drop, or perhaps get a Oneplus One.

What you buy should have at least 2GB of ram, but 3GB is preferred, and a minimum snapdragon 800 series processor. Beware the battery capacity on the Nexus 5 is a joke though and it's power will ensure that battery gets eaten through quickly.

I like how the samsung S4/S5 have micro sd card slots and removable batteries.

Beware of apps that restart themselves when killed and avoid installing them. I only install apps that stay closed when I kill them with the exception of Iheart radio which I find just too handy to not have. If using an app killer, only kill apps that stay closed when killed. It's a waste of resources to kill an app that just restarts right away.

How can a person know 'before' disabling an app if it will STAY disabled?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones