Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 04:02 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times

Advertisements

Some good information....

Quote:
Unfortunately, wireless carriers don’t provide you much recourse. If you want to end your contract at AT&T, you’ll be forking over $325 minus $10 per month that you’ve completed on your contract. Pretty much all the major carriers subtract a given amount for each month you’ve completed on your contract, but that number tends to change. It also doesn’t make the financial blow much easier unless you’re near the end. Sprint and Verizon will charge you up to $350, unless you cancel within the first two weeks (a policy that was extended to 30 days beginning June 27 for Sprint users). T-Mobile users pay up to $200 depending on how many days are left on their contract.

While it won’t be easy, you can still break free without shelling out tons of dough. Here’s how.
How to Break Your Phone Contract Without Paying Dearly | Gadget Lab | WIRED
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 05:15 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Not much in the article. I could switch to T-Mobile and have no service where I live. Not a smart thing to do.

The point of a 2 year contract is to get a subsidized phone. Works for me. My dtr-in-law, from Germany, was thrilled that she could get a mobile phone for $100 with a two-year contract when she moved to the US with our Army son. Such an arrangement did not exist in Germany. You had to buy the phone for 500 Euro (Galaxy 3S at the time) and then sign up for service.

If I got an iPhone 5S from AT&T, I would pay $200 plus tax. If I cancelled a month later and paid a $350 ETF, I would possess a $650 phone. The math is good. As it happens I am fine with AT&T. Service is good. The staff at the local store are competent and friendly and with 2 phones we pay $89 a month with a data plan which we never exceed.

Might be a different story if I were not happy.

And no, I do not work for AT&T.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones