Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,003 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this thread is dead but to displacedmisplaced. Did you ever find a solution? With the exception of the spanish recordings this EXACT same thing is happening to me. I'm getting calls with the same 6 first digits. No one on the other line. Call back. "I never called you."

Hopefully you fufilled your vow because this is getting annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 05:59 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
The quickest way to solve the issue is to change your phone #.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:32 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
No. That is a waste of time.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Please tell us why.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:39 PM

7,517 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Quote:
Please tell us why.

Because the telemarketer/scammer is not specifically calling you. They are calling every number in sequence. Remember it is a computer that is doing the dialing, not a person.

Sooner or later they would call your new number.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:48 AM

I use a free application on my Android device that identifies most SPAM phone numbers and allows me to block them from calling/texting my phone. The application is called YouMail and has an additional application called WhoAreYou.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 5,505 times
Default This is happening to me!

I am having the exact same issue. Someone is calling me from numbers with the first 6 digits (area code and the first 3 numbers of my phone number) so every week, sometimes two times a week, I am getting called from someone with a number similar to mine. When I've answered it in the past, the person on the other hangs up automatically, so I know it's a machine. When I call back, some unsuspecting person answers, not knowing who I am or what I am talking about, claiming never to have called me in the first place. I don't know what the purpose of this is, why it's happening, or how anyone got my number, but it's irritating. I've blocked every single one of these numbers after they call me, but the number combinations are endless! It's starting to annoy the crap out of me.

Did you ever figure out what was going on, or did it ever stop happening???

Old 07-11-2015, 11:42 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
A computer will dial a number and hang up after 3-4 rings if NOT answered.....if answered then a recording will take over or a LIVE person will do their SPIEL. In my case the ID will show a Private Caller or Unknown Caller whereupon I just do NOT answer.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,505 times
Well in my case, there's never anyone on the line. As soon as I say "hello?" the line goes dead. I don't ever get an operator or someone trying to pedal something, which is why it's beyond me why these calls are even happening. Like, what's the point?

Old 07-11-2015, 05:17 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
I am in Baja while my situation also happened in Calif . If I do Not recognize the ID/Number I just DO NOT ANSWER period.

I do on occasion get a call from a Zip code in Central Mexico that may be a relative calling someone here or a wrong number. They have even resorted to re dialing me. Once in a while will answer to make them pay for a Long Distance call....teaches them a lesson. Do not always have my answering machine on while here but will turn it on if I'm gone across the border for the day. Even then they probably hang up after the 3-4 rings since I allow my phone 6 rings before AUTO answering cuts in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones