Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 06:59 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,573,459 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about getting an iPhone soon, which service provider should I choose or buy the phone from considering the following:

1) I need unlimited text;
2) I don't use calling much;
3) I use data (website, map apps, etc.), but not much at all; and
4) I plan to keep the phone for at least 3 years.

Which service provider provides the best deal for someone like me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 07:22 PM

115 posts, read 174,511 times
Get an iPhone 5S from Virgin Mobile. They have an unlimited data plan for $30/month, which includes unlimited texts and 5 hours of talk time. Also, their Apple phones are discounted from the MSRP, though keep in mind that they only run on the Virgin network. There wouldn't be a reason to switch anyhow.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:52 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
I am thinking about getting an iPhone soon, which service provider should I choose or buy the phone from considering the following:

1) I need unlimited text;
2) I don't use calling much;
3) I use data (website, map apps, etc.), but not much at all; and
4) I plan to keep the phone for at least 3 years.

Which service provider provides the best deal for someone like me?
Well T-mobile is giving you an iPhone 5s to use for one week for free in their test our network promotion. If you don't like their service after the week you give back the phone and you move on to another carrier. T-mobile is reasonably priced, it's less than the other 3 major carriers, but if you want to pay even less than you could try the smaller carriers, though not sure if they would offer the same type of signal service.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:48 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
Compare prices for the plan you want is a good second step.
The first is to determine if the provider can actually provide.

Loan from the store or borrow from a friend, the cell phone you're considering, of the provider you're considering, and make sure you get a good signal at home and work.

Even downtown, 4-bars is NOT a given! I have a friend who lives in amongst thousands of other subburban houses, and yet her house is in a dip, or surrounded by shallow unnoticeable hills or such with respect to the towers that ATT uses, as her ATT phone gets 1/2 of a bar at best. She'd already gotten the phone so she had to go back and consider a tower-booster for several hundred dollars.
My Verizon gets 3 bars at her place, proving that not all providers broadcast from all towers. Coverage is far from uniform.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizcharlene View Post
Get an iPhone 5S from Virgin Mobile. They have an unlimited data plan for $30/month, which includes unlimited texts and 5 hours of talk time. Also, their Apple phones are discounted from the MSRP, though keep in mind that they only run on the Virgin network. There wouldn't be a reason to switch anyhow.

$30 a month with unlimited text and data??? What's the catch though?

Old 08-02-2014, 05:22 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,097,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
$30 a month with unlimited text and data??? What's the catch though?

It's on Virgin Mobile......that's the catch

Old 08-02-2014, 02:39 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
Yeah, first look into their coverage map. Sounds like a great deal until then.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Yeah, first look into their coverage map. Sounds like a great deal until then.
If you live in the city, it does not look all that bad.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:37 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,762 times
I've be with Consumer Cellular www.consumercellular.com for over 9 years.

Check them out: no contracts, easily changed monthly plans and the best customer service ever.

No, I don't work for them, I'm just a satisfied customer.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:12 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
the sprint network sucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones