Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 05:07 AM

122 posts, read 171,005 times

Advertisements

The answer is very simple, MONEY!

I know many like the iPhone and want to be the first to grab one, however most people in the line is actually waiting for their money. They earn some 200 bucks for each phone.

Am I insane? It costs $3500 for an iPhone here since it's not publicly available now. Just too many rich crazy people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 12:25 PM

734 posts, read 1,075,748 times
They are "sheep". They are told that they have to have the latest iphone or people will look at them as if they are worthless when they pull their phones out in public. LOL. Sheeple is what I call them.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:57 PM

16,468 posts, read 19,494,203 times
Yea, people will think others think they are useless??? Wow. Utterly ridiculous.
Maybe some people think it's FUN to wait in line? Crazy idea, I know, but... it's not as crazy as "getting one so I don't feel worthless".

Old 09-25-2014, 01:59 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,475,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
They are "sheep". They are told that they have to have the latest iphone or people will look at them as if they are worthless when they pull their phones out in public. LOL. Sheeple is what I call them.
Or maybe they just love the devices so much that they want to have them on day one. Lots of people have some type of material item that they love and feel they have to have. For some it may be cars, others video games, phones, computers, etc. I'm sure just about every other tech company wishes they had millions of "sheep" to buy their products. Unfortunately their offerings don't compare or generate the same type of demand. If people want the latest iPhone and have afforded themselves the money and time to stand in line for one then so be it.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:43 PM

847 posts, read 763,061 times
this used to be quite true when you could do arbitrage because Apple did not sell their phone in many countries.

however now that they launch the phone in tens of countries that is no longer true like it used to be.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:53 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,869,125 times
I am rather a cheapskate on most items. I believe in the adage that saving money is making money. Thus, I buy last year's phone and use it at least until next year's phone comes out. Thus, my phone is always at minimum one year old. I don't care if it's not the latest and greatest. As long as it functions in the ways I need it to function, that's all I care about. Because I buy a slightly older phone, I save a bundle and can still get a high quality device. Plus I don't waste time waiting in line I'm also an Android fan so I save money that way and have a lot more selection.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:22 PM

14,831 posts, read 11,970,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlanguide View Post
The answer is very simple, MONEY!

I know many like the iPhone and want to be the first to grab one, however most people in the line is actually waiting for their money. They earn some 200 bucks for each phone.

Am I insane? It costs $3500 for an iPhone here since it's not publicly available now. Just too many rich crazy people.

Or far too many people who are brainwashed into believing that they "must have", the latest and greatest gadget, because without it, they're worthless......doesn't matter if they can afford it or not.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:14 AM

16,468 posts, read 19,494,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
because without it, they're worthless......doesn't matter if they can afford it or not.
Uh... no one feels that way. Ridiculous.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:48 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,860,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea, people will think others think they are useless??? Wow. Utterly ridiculous.
Maybe some people think it's FUN to wait in line? Crazy idea, I know, but... it's not as crazy as "getting one so I don't feel worthless".
When I was younger, it was fun. I did the black friday thing every year, not because I thought I was saving gobs of money but because we got to screw around and drive around in the middle of the night getting donuts and coffee and whatever else. News crews running around and setting up in front of us, store workers poking fun (usually coming out and saying things like "man, it sure is warm inside!"), It was fun.

These days, I have better things to do. However, replying to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
when a new content update comes out for a game I play quite a lot, I will sometimes take off work and play through the night. Does that make me a sheeple too? Doing what I enjoy and having a good time and getting what I want out of the time that I am spending seems like the type of thing every human strives to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Or far too many people who are brainwashed into believing that they "must have", the latest and greatest gadget, because without it, they're worthless......doesn't matter if they can afford it or not.
You kind of sound brainwashed into thinking that

Old 09-29-2014, 03:17 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,779,787 times
it's one of the status symbols of china currently...what can you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones