Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 10:13 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,812,997 times

Advertisements

No.

You'll have an adjustable holographic wrist/phone with a soft ear piece. Or pocket device no bigger than a folded dollar bill.

You did say future...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 03:26 PM

735 posts, read 654,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I would agree except that some sites are changing their web pages so they can't be zoomed in on. The washington post, for example, has ridiculously tiny fonts that can't be enlarged. I can't even read it on an iPad 2. The odd thing about that site, though, is that the iPhone version does have a way to increase font size. Are they going to take that ability away as phones become tablet sized? I miss when I could zoom in whenever I wanted to.

Just force the site into desktop mode through the browser settings, then you can zoom in all you want.

Not sure if this feature is on Apple devices though, they tend to get these kind of things several years after Android does.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:25 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin171 View Post
Just force the site into desktop mode through the browser settings, then you can zoom in all you want.

Not sure if this feature is on Apple devices though, they tend to get these kind of things several years after Android does.
Take off your anti-Apple blinders. Yes Safari has that feature. One also has the option of using an alternative browser that offers it.

Perhaps we should all sit around complaining about how the default browser in Android was utter garbage until 2012...

Last edited by i7pXFLbhE3gq; 10-18-2014 at 06:00 PM..

Old 10-18-2014, 05:44 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
I see a pattern. Cellphones were big at first.....and then they became small, and now they are big again. I'm sure they will eventually become small again.
I think those smart-watches will eventually advance in technology and replace smartphones in the near future.
A few years ago it was said (by the tech industry) that phablets were not the trend of the future and that the trend was going to tend towards "smaller" smart phones. If you look around you will see that the majority of smart phones out there are "regular" sized. It is just that the Notes and Galaxies and iPhone 6s are easier to notice because of their size[s], so they seem more prevalent.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Take off your anti-Apple blinders. Yes Safari has that feature. One also has the option of using an alternative browser that offers it.

Perhaps we should all sit around complaining about how the default browser in Android was utter garbage until 2012...
Cool, so they finally added the feature in iOS 8. My phone has been able to do it since it came out in 2012.

Also, no point of using an alternate browser as a daily driver if you can't set it as default.

Face it, iPhones have sucked for the last 3 years. Their phones have crawled while other phones have improved leaps and bounds.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:23 PM

15,424 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin171 View Post
When I tried it recently, there was no link to the desktop version in Safarí and no link in Chrome either. The Washington Post took it away, not Apple.

Quote:
I seem to remember there being a setting to force desktop view but a quick check and I don't see it. I don't blame Apple for this though. The site functioned perfectly for years until now. I can't understand why the Post wants their site to be unreadable.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:28 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
When I tried it recently, there was no link to the desktop version in Safarí and no link in Chrome either. The Washington Post took it away, not Apple.

I seem to remember there being a setting to force desktop view but a quick check and I don't see it. I don't blame Apple for this though. The site functioned perfectly for years until now. I can't understand why the Post wants their site to be unreadable.
Assuming you're using Safari…

Tap the URL. Slide your thumb down. Tap "Request Desktop Site."

Old 10-19-2014, 07:24 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
I think the 6 plus is as far as the size can go. It can be a bit of a pain to use and fit into pockets. The S5 is large but more reasonable to deal with.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Fads come and go as we have seen. At one time computers with latest and greatest was one. I was saying to my wife tonight the Sprint commercial that shows women in their 40 or so screaming like school girls over the so called Iphone 6 deal was kind of insulting to women that age.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I was saying to my wife tonight the Sprint commercial that shows women in their 40 or so screaming like school girls over the so called Iphone 6 deal was kind of insulting to women that age.
As far as I'm concerned the commercial accurately represents the blind sheepism of lots of Apple users.

Anyway, large phones are hardly a fad. People want big screens because they are more productive, easier to read and more useful and immersive for entertainment proposes. Until phones turn holographic, projected or foldable, big screens and big phones are here to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones