Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 01:31 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I wouldn't try one if the were $100 with no contract. Unless someone has figured out how to load stock kitkat or lollipop on them.
Agree. My wife has a Kindle Fire HDX tablet, and while it's a nice device, it's the last non e-reader Kindle device we'll have.

The Amazon lock in isn't worth dealing with IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 09:09 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,986,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I thought briefly about it.
I'll pass.
Got my invite today. Knowing more about it now I think I'll pass.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:22 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,348 times
Not sure if this has been mentioned itt yet, but Fire OS isn't actually an OS. It's just a skin that runs on top of Android 4.2.2, much like Verizon, Sprint and ATT write skins for their version of the Samsung Motorola and LG devices.

Amazon's marketing strategy with the Fire Phone was to get everyone signed up and reliant on Prime.

Prime is their cash cow, but they will never get me to sign up for it.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:31 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned itt yet, but Fire OS isn't actually an OS. It's just a skin that runs on top of Android 4.2.2, much like Verizon, Sprint and ATT write skins for their version of the Samsung Motorola and LG devices.
No. It is decidedly not just a skin. It's Android minus all Google's proprietary bits, which limits what you can actually do with it. Lots of apps won't work. Amazon made FireOS purposely incompatible with Android as most people know it.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
No. It is decidedly not just a skin. It's Android minus all Google's proprietary bits, which limits what you can actually do with it. Lots of apps won't work. Amazon made FireOS purposely incompatible with Android as most people know it.
actually let me clarify.

you are right in that it isn't a mere skin.

it is a ROM. it's not the complete android OS as it still runs on the basic 4.2.2 structure, but it contains a different bootloader and interface, which makes it a complete ROM. I still wouldn't consider it an OS though as many users simply root and load a different ROM onto their Fire devices.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:18 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Prime is their cash cow, but they will never get me to sign up for it.
Curious why you are "anti-Prime"?

Old 01-22-2015, 07:38 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Got my invite today. Knowing more about it now I think I'll pass.
You got the invite for the Amazon Echo? I just read the article peregrine linked. I've never heard of this device before. Yet another silly Amazon gimmick, IMO. If I were a Prime member, I wouldn't want the Echo anyway because I want to comparison shop before choosing the item and not let Amazon automatically choose the fulfilled by Amazon selection, which is usually more expensive. Value matters more to me than saving the few minutes it takes to price compare.

EDIT: I just read another article about it and it said it answers commands similar to Siri or the Android voice commanded systems. I'm wondering what the advantage is to purchasing such an item.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:18 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You got the invite for the Amazon Echo? I just read the article peregrine linked. I've never heard of this device before. Yet another silly Amazon gimmick, IMO. If I were a Prime member, I wouldn't want the Echo anyway because I want to comparison shop before choosing the item and not let Amazon automatically choose the fulfilled by Amazon selection, which is usually more expensive. Value matters more to me than saving the few minutes it takes to price compare.

EDIT: I just read another article about it and it said it answers commands similar to Siri or the Android voice commanded systems. I'm wondering what the advantage is to purchasing such an item.
It is a pretty weird item but it does offer some benefits over Siri and google now. It's a device that is plugged in and "always listening". It has 7 mics or something crazy. For Siri to be always listening you have to make sure the iDevice is plugged in and it only has one speaker. Also the volume coming out is much lower than the echo which is a decent speaker in itself. Google now is only "always listening" on a select few android devices.

I suppose if you have Siri and or a google now always listening capable phone you could rig something up similar to the echo if you leave you device plugged in all the time but it would cost more than the echo which can be had for $99 for prime or $199 for non prime.

That is, if you can wait til mid summer to get the thing if you order now
A bit of a backorder.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Curious why you are "anti-Prime"?
because i don't use amazon enough for a membership to cost efficient. yet they keep trying to shove this prime membership down peoples throats.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:36 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,986,926 times
Quote:
because i don't use amazon enough for a membership to cost efficient. yet they keep trying to shove this prime membership down peoples throats.
Yeah, no one else selling a product does that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones