Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 12:19 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I think that society has been duped into believing that you have to have a phone in your hand all the time. You don't, you really are not that important or missed by someone. Believe it or not, you can actually go through a whole day without having to call somebody, really, try it once you'll be amazed !
Uh, yea, we don't really use them as phones anymore.

Quote:
overpriced considering the limited advantages over the Androids which cost several hundred less
Android phones WERE every bit as expensive as iPhones. Penny for penny almost the exact same price.
The difference is you could get low end models much cheaper, but for any "flagship device" they were the same...
Well they were, anyway, until Apple came out with the 6's and the $950 iPhone...

There is one thing I really hate about Apple though: this latest marketing campaign.
"Bigger Then Bigger"
Seriously? I'd love to meet the marketing GENIUS behind that slogan.
Horrible. Easily the worst slogan Apple has ever used.
Not really sure what they are trying to convey there. It's big? Yea, we know that. There's BIGGER. and then BIGGER THEN BIGGER? Dumb.

And Google finally has one I like.
"Be Together. Not The Same."
We can all have Android phones. And they don't have to be made by one company. You have a choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 12:22 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,187 times
I'm not an Apple person, and actually kind of dislike the company. I see them as a marketing company. They put old technology into sleek packaging and customers are more than willing to pay a premium for the Apple logo. Apple knows this very well and takes advantage.

So my view of them is that they are much better at marketing than technology, but it is one hell of a successful business. Their brand managers are very good at what they do. They make reasonably good products, and sell them at a huge premium. That's heaven for any profit-seeking entity and they've done a great job with that.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:35 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Uh, yea, we don't really use them as phones anymore.
OK, I'll change my wording, you don't have to be in TOUCH with someone all day/night long be it texting, email, messaging , or talking. I don't get this need to be in constant contact with another person. "I'm leaving the store now, now I'm in my car, I'm in the driveway, I'll be right in " BS !@!

Old 12-01-2014, 02:25 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
OK, I'll change my wording, you don't have to be in TOUCH with someone all day/night long be it texting, email, messaging , or talking. I don't get this need to be in constant contact with another person. "I'm leaving the store now, now I'm in my car, I'm in the driveway, I'll be right in " BS !@!
You're assuming everyone's situation is the same or similar to your own. If I went a day without my phone my boss would be up my ass. We only have one car and no home phone. If I didn't have my phone on me and my wife got off work early, she's SOL unless she walks a mile and a half to the bus stop. If she does that, then it's ME who is SOL

In my life, being dependable is one reason I'm always making sure I have my phone, not because I have some sort of complex.

The old "We never had these phones and we got by just fine" argument is really, really flawed. Sometimes I go days without getting a phone call or text. I'm good with that. But take this scenario: A loved one has been in an accident and will not make it through the day. If you would have had your phone on you, you would have gotten the call and could have seen them one last time. You didn't, though, and didn't get the message until several hours later. Will this always happen? Surely not. Could it? Absolutely.

Aside from dependability, preparedness is a very high check on my life list. Plus what's wrong with being more connected if the passage of useful information is the main goal? I text my wife if I'm going to the store to see if she needs anything. Had I not done that, I may be making another trip. Seems wasteful had I not checked.

Your presumptuous argument is very flimsy.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:58 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
Aside from dependability, preparedness is a very high check on my life list. Plus what's wrong with being more connected if the passage of useful information is the main goal? I text my wife if I'm going to the store to see if she needs anything. Had I not done that, I may be making another trip. Seems wasteful had I not checked.

Your presumptuous argument is very flimsy.
Gotta agree. My wife would have been dead from a heart attack (2 years ago) had she not had her mobile phone ("hello 911, it would seem that I am having a heart attack. could you please send someone to fetch and deliver me to the nearest hospital?" She coded five minutes after they got her to the emergency room.). Yea it happened to be an iPhone, but whatever. As a result neither of us go anywhere without our phones.

On a lighter note it is nice to be connected with the wife or others as needed. Today, my not dead wife, needed to vent on a minor matter. I was there for her.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:03 AM

735 posts, read 654,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
I'm not an Apple person, and actually kind of dislike the company. I see them as a marketing company. They put old technology into sleek packaging and customers are more than willing to pay a premium for the Apple logo. Apple knows this very well and takes advantage.

So my view of them is that they are much better at marketing than technology, but it is one hell of a successful business. Their brand managers are very good at what they do. They make reasonably good products, and sell them at a huge premium. That's heaven for any profit-seeking entity and they've done a great job with that.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

There is one thing I really hate about Apple though: this latest marketing campaign.
"Bigger Then Bigger"
Seriously? I'd love to meet the marketing GENIUS behind that slogan.
Horrible. Easily the worst slogan Apple has ever used.
Not really sure what they are trying to convey there. It's big? Yea, we know that. There's BIGGER. and then BIGGER THEN BIGGER? Dumb.
It's the best iPhone yet.
For the first time ever.
We did it again.

Quote:
And Google finally has one I like.
"Be Together. Not The Same."
We can all have Android phones. And they don't have to be made by one company. You have a choice.
Yeah that slogan is pretty nice, like a subtle jab at Apple for having a walled-in approach to their phones. GG google, GG

Old 12-02-2014, 02:10 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,010,517 times
I am not an apple fan. I had once that is it no more got it from my work and I changed with another colleague who love apple. Aha Apple for me NO. I had blackberry yeah that is okay but now NO. I am an android fan due to the freedom we have to do in phones. And for me I can walk with my Android in front of millions Ipone owners ha ha.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:06 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,652 times
Do you think society has been duped to think the iPhone is the best?

Not sure 'society' has been duped but a lot of users have duped themselves, but that's a fairly historic human activity.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:21 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
I don't think anyone is duped into thinking that. People have preferences and buy what they prefer. The Android phones are better in many ways. The iPhones are better in other ways.

People buy what they prefer due to marketing. It's never been about what the best product is, it's what's trendy, popular, hip, etc. As someone who has owned 4 different iphones and 6 different Android phones, the Android is the superior product, and it's no contest. However, Apple has been masters of marketing for some time. Apple has a better image which allows them to compete with an inferior product.

I just don't see the point in these "straddle the fence" posts that are not only incorrect but offer no insight to the debate.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:49 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Apple is true strength is marketing (not innovation). Take the iPOD for example - the original version was mediocre compared to some of the other mp3 players that were available on the market at that time from companies such as iRiver and Creative, but the iPOD became a blockbuster due solely to Apple's marketing prowess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones