Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:19 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,003,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Neither lets you leave your credit cards at home since many stores don't yet accept NFC payments. Both are more secure than a physical card, but Apple has done a better job there too for reasons that have already been discussed.
How exactly has Apple done a better job when their implementation results in fraudulent transactions at a rate of 60 times higher than physical credit card payments? It seems like Apple's implementation is less secure than you falsly portray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 01:37 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How exactly has Apple done a better job when their implementation results in fraudulent transactions at a rate of 60 times higher than physical credit card payments? It seems like Apple's implementation is less secure than you falsly portray.
Take it up with the credit card companies for letting people add cards without doing proper verification. The banks ultimately control whether or not a card can be added, and what information they require in order to add it.

It doesn't change the fact that using Apple Pay at a store is significantly more secure than using a physical card and handing over your actual CC number every time you make a payment.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:57 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,003,023 times
Quote:
Take it up with the credit card companies for letting people add cards without doing proper verification. The banks ultimately control whether or not a card can be added, and what information they require in order to add it.

It doesn't change the fact that using Apple Pay at a store is significantly more secure than using a physical card and handing over your actual CC number every time you make a payment.
The weakness of using cards without proper verification exists in both types of transactions. However, Apple Pay transactions have 60 times more fraudulent transactions than physical card transactions. Your falsely portrayed facts aren't facts at all... and the numbers show it. When you hand a card over to an actual person, there is additional verification which includes behavioral assessment. This does not exist when entering credit cards into Apply Pay. Criminals have figured this out and are taking advantage of the less secure payment method.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:13 AM

16,464 posts, read 19,494,203 times
Where are you getting this info NJBest?

Old 03-06-2015, 08:49 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
A blog post.

Rampant: Explaining the current state of Apple Pay Fraud | Drop Labs

The issue is banks making it too easy to add cards without proper verification, not some gaping security hole in the Apple Pay system itself. NJBest is just trolling. Behavioral assessment? I can't remember the last time I handed my card to anyone who wasn't a waiter.

Perhaps he can take a break from bashing Apple pay because he doesn't understand the problem, and tell us how the encryption by default on Android 5.0 is working out. And perhaps we can all be reminded how improved cryptography being built into the hardware is a useless gimmick that has no impact on performance. Oh wait, Google has backed off the encryption requirement because it killed performance.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:14 AM

16,464 posts, read 19,494,203 times
That Blog post seemed a bit over the top until I did a little Googling:

Apple Pay: a new frontier for scammers | Technology | The Guardian

Apple Pay hit by fraudulent transactions: WSJ

Apple Pay Sign-Ups Get Tougher as Banks Respond to Fraud - Total Return - WSJ

Still... consumers aren't getting their accounts hacked, and the industry is already adressing this issue, so it's pretty much anon-starter. And we aren't talking about banks losing MILLIONS here...

Old 03-06-2015, 10:09 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,527,970 times
related:
Apple Pay and the smartphone "thing"

Old 03-06-2015, 09:20 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,120,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Not sure where that other poster saw it, but it's all over the news: https://www.google.com/search?q=appl...+fraud&tbm=nws

He is absolutely correct in that the fraud rate is 60 times that of physical credit cards.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:32 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,120,171 times
Quote:
A blog post.

Rampant: Explaining the current state of Apple Pay Fraud | Drop Labs

The issue is banks making it too easy to add cards without proper verification, not some gaping security hole in the Apple Pay system itself. NJBest is just trolling. Behavioral assessment? I can't remember the last time I handed my card to anyone who wasn't a waiter.
It's not just a blog post. All the news sources are reporting the rampant rates of fraud.... with the initial news source being the Wall Street Journal.

Based on pure data, your statement about Apple pay being more secure than credit card transactions is completely false. If you actually looked at the data (which you obviously and ignorantly failed to do), you'll see that the fraud was at electronic and department stores and not restaurants. So the fact that YOU, personally, hand your card to wait staff is not applicable. Staff of electronic and department stores are trained to identify fraudulent transactions. Wait staff, on the other hand, are not since the loss in a restaurant is minimal.

It helps to have some sort of understanding about what you are talking about before making silly statements.
Quote:

Perhaps he can take a break from bashing Apple pay because he doesn't understand the problem, and tell us how the encryption by default on Android 5.0 is working out. And perhaps we can all be reminded how improved cryptography being built into the hardware is a useless gimmick that has no impact on performance. Oh wait, Google has backed off the encryption requirement because it killed performance.
Obviously you failed to read the thread. Perhaps if you actually read the thread or read it more slowly so you can understand, you can see that he actually had been defending Apple's innovation until this news broke.

Maybe if you understood basic numbers and statistics, you would realize that a factor of 60 times is significant. My main phone right now is an iPhone 6 (and I love it), but I'm not going to be an idiot and deny that Apple Payment methods is less secure than traditional credit card methods. It's simply because I can make sense of the numbers. If you cannot, that's fine. At least there are people here to clear up your lies.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:35 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
It's not just a blog post. All the news sources are reporting the rampant rates of fraud.... with the initial news source being the Wall Street Journal.

Based on pure data, your statement about Apple pay being more secure than credit card transactions is completely false. If you actually looked at the data (which you obviously and ignorantly failed to do), you'll see that the fraud was at electronic and department stores and not restaurants. So the fact that YOU, personally, hand your card to wait staff is not applicable. Staff of electronic and department stores are trained to identify fraudulent transactions. Wait staff, on the other hand, are not since the loss in a restaurant is minimal.

It helps to have some sort of understanding about what you are talking about before making silly statements.

Obviously you failed to read the thread. Perhaps if you actually read the thread or read it more slowly so you can understand, you can see that he actually had been defending Apple's innovation until this news broke.

Maybe if you understood basic numbers and statistics, you would realize that a factor of 60 times is significant. My main phone right now is an iPhone 6 (and I love it), but I'm not going to be an idiot and deny that Apple Payment methods is less secure than traditional credit card methods. It's simply because I can make sense of the numbers. If you cannot, that's fine. At least there are people here to clear up your lies.
some people are capable of looking at why, not just sitting there, mouth agape, driven into some drooling stupor by the presence of a large number.

But do go right on handing your credit card info over to retailers who have been shown to be chronically incapable of handling them with even a basic level of security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones