Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 01:23 PM

123 posts, read 520,847 times

Advertisements

Here's my experience and why I ask:

I just got an iPhone for the first time yesterday. The iPhone 5c to be specific. Ever since I had a smartphone, I had an Android based device. The most recent was the Samsung Galaxy S II. A bit old to today's standards, I know, but I've had it for almost two years and liked it. Probably would have kept it a little longer if it wasn't having problems. Time to upgrade and iPhone was having a sale. The Galaxy S 5 was too and I was debating, but I decided to jump on the iPhone bandwagon for a variety of reasons such as starting a new job where everyone had an iPhone, some family members had it including one who lived long distance and can do facetime, was tired of having problems with Androids I've had including battery problems, and for sheer curiousness to see if it was as great as everyone claims it is.

So far though, I am not impressed.

It seems archaic to me, even compared to my old Galaxy. It doesn't have half of the apps the Galaxies come with, some of the apps and features that were free on Android aren't free on iPhone, and even typing and going back to something takes more time. If I'm typing and forget to make something capitalized, I can't simply click on that one letter and erase it to fix like on Android. I have to erase the whole word and type it again. To go back to the last thing I was at, I can't hit a back button on the bottom of device where my thumb already is, I have to touch it at the top of screen to the left, so it's without the ease of doing it one-handed. While I like that the iPhone is not as big as the Galaxies and therefore fits better in the hand, I have gotten used to that bigger size so it wasn't a big deal. The iPhone might be smaller, but again, it's hard to do functions one-handed so it doesn't make much difference anyway. I also had to download the Gmail app because the email one they already have pales in comparison. That takes up more room on my device then.

One other thing that I was always seeing being said was that Android was for people with less money. Obviously, no one wants to announce they have less money, especially if they are around many people who have an iPhone. But is that really true? Many devices, including that Galaxy S 5, retail for hundreds of dollars. How is that having less money? Am I missing something? For the record, I don't have a ton of money right now like many people with an iPhone do, but my point is is that Androids don't seem to make much difference in that department.

I just am not sure if I should stick with the iPhone. What else am I missing that makes it so great over Android, specifically the newer models? Have the people that think it's great never used a current Android device, so they can't compare it to something else? Has anyone on here went back to an Android because they didn't like the iPhone?

Sell me on it. Try to convince me of how better it is. Because while I do have time to change my mind and switch it out for something else, I don't know if the sale on that Galaxy is still going on and I bought a pricey case for it which I'm not sure if I can return.

Basically, convince me that what I have is what I should have. Or is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 01:25 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,993 times
I don't think anyone is duped into thinking that. People have preferences and buy what they prefer. The Android phones are better in many ways. The iPhones are better in other ways.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:55 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedmisplaced View Post
Here's my experience and why I ask:

I just got an iPhone for the first time yesterday. The iPhone 5c to be specific. ...<snip> To go back to the last thing I was at, I can't hit a back button on the bottom of device where my thumb already is, I have to touch it at the top of screen to the left, so it's without the ease of doing it one-handed. <snip>...
Not sure what OS you have....with OS 7.1.2, you can give two quick hits to the home button and then choose whatever recent page you've been on. I do this all the time, and it works well.

Overall, with your somewhat negative mindset towards Apple, you may find it more comfortable to go back to the products you were using.

If I were you, though, I'd at least take all the time given in your guarantee/warrantee with the idea of just trying something different. You could find lots of 'how to' pages online for the particular iOS you have. There are many, many available.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:07 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,546 times
marketing...

Old 11-29-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
I don't think anyone is duped into thinking that. People have preferences and buy what they prefer. The Android phones are better in many ways. The iPhones are better in other ways.
I say duped because everyone brags about having an iPhone. Celebrities have iPhones like it's the only thing to have. iPhone everything is promoted more than Android. It clearly is favorited in society. And I'm just trying to find out why. It has been made to seem like Android is the poor man's iPhone. It is like if you don't have an iPhone, you are out of the loop. This isn't coming from my imagination. Just observing things in person and online.

I heard conversations like this,
"If you go to your iPhone..."
"I don't have an iPhone"
"Oh...well do you have a smartphone"
"Yes..."
It is just assumed people have an iPhone.

You say they are both better in many ways but I'm looking for specifics.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Not sure what OS you have....with OS 7.1.2, you can give two quick hits to the home button and then choose whatever recent page you've been on. I do this all the time, and it works well.

Overall, with your somewhat negative mindset towards Apple, you may find it more comfortable to go back to the products you were using.

If I were you, though, I'd at least take all the time given in your guarantee/warrantee with the idea of just trying something different. You could find lots of 'how to' pages online for the particular iOS you have. There are many, many available.
I have the 8.1.1 OS. I tried what you said and see what you mean...but it is still not as simple as hitting a back button on the bottom. It seems that Android is a lot simpler. I never had to look at "how to" pages with the other devices. It was all pretty obvious. Time is precious in my life, as I'm sure it is with most people, and I don't want to spend it trying to figure out why my phone is great. It should be obvious if it is. I think the best information comes from other people which is why I like to ask people online who have had multiple experiences.

I don't want to have a negative mindset about Apple. I was really looking forward to finally trying an iPhone. The last thing I wanted was to be disappointed. I don't want to spend time changing things but I don't want to be with a phone for two years that is not as good as what I could have. I have only a certain time frame to decide so hoping to get some answers to my questions.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:40 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
If I'm typing and forget to make something capitalized, I can't simply click on that one letter and erase it to fix like on Android. I have to erase the whole word and type it again.
Uh, yes you can. Of course you can. I have no idea why you'd think you couldn't.

I've gone back and forth quite a few times (I have an iPhone 6 and an S4 right now). Android is more flexible, but iOS has better performance and higher quality apps (the developer tools for Android are a disaster while Apple's are very good).

Old 11-29-2014, 05:50 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Uh, yes you can. Of course you can. I have no idea why you'd think you couldn't.

I've gone back and forth quite a few times (I have an iPhone 6 and an S4 right now). Android is more flexible, but iOS has better performance and higher quality apps (the developer tools for Android are a disaster while Apple's are very good).
Actually ARM architecture put Android performance well above iOS. They've switched away from JIT to pre-compiling. The quality of the popular apps are the same more or less with the exception of the Google Apps being much better on Android (maps, gmail, etc.). Swift is still fairly new... it's not like Apple had good dev tools for iOS for long. Android's new dev tools, while in beta, are based on Intellij... so that speaks for itself.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

Uh, no you can't. And the reason I know is because I have tried multiple times now in various places on the phone. In text messages, typing in internet, Facebook, etc. I wouldn't say I can't do something if I haven't tried it. Like I said, I really want to like this iPhone, so I am trying to find redeeming factors, but it's making it difficult. I just want to know what everyone sees in it. Interestingly enough I have not gotten one answer here of someone talking about all the wonderful features of the iPhone over the Android. You mention better performance but don't give specifics. You say higher quality apps, but again don't give specifics or examples.

Going back to the apps again, if there are some that are better quality, then maybe, but they seem to have more things that cost money over the Android. I refuse to give money for something that I could get for free in Android. I forgot to mention that I am also afraid of running out of memory. With the Android, you can insert an SD card and add space. Can't do that with iPhone. The only special was on the 8GB so with limited room, that's a concern. And the apps on there that I don't want not being removable is a problem.

The only thing (so far anyway) that is keeping me with the iPhone is the size. I do like it smaller than the Galaxies, as they are pretty big and clunky and noticeable. But there has to be something else.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:21 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I don't think so. People sometimes WANT to be duped, people sometimes are ignorant of many things, people sometimes just have a loyality or preference.

I have an iphone and my son has an android device. He can and will spend hours telling me why and how the android is superior and I believe him, but since my iphone already does more than I need it to there is no incentive for me to switch and take time to learn a new system. Apps don't mean too much to me (I've only downloaded 3) since I'm still locked into thinking this is a phone and use it as such .

My phone is not my multi function work/entertainment device so most of this stuff is lost on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones