Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 08:44 AM

435 posts, read 635,169 times

Advertisements

I don't text and was interested in finding out if anyone else doesn't, and also the reasons why. I know what my own reasons are, but would be interested in learning about how other people feel and why they don't do this either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 08:54 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,681,619 times
I have text blocking. Texting is a waste of time to me. Send a message, wait 4 hours for someone to reply "ok", and I have to pay $40 a month for it? No thanks.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I have text blocking. Texting is a waste of time to me. Send a message, wait 4 hours for someone to reply "ok", and I have to pay $40 a month for it? No thanks.
I didn't know there was a feature to block texts. Thanks! I plan to do that.

How does text blocking work, and does the person who sends the text receive a message that you have text blocking?

Old 12-06-2014, 08:57 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,259,223 times
I very rarely text (I am 50) and, it is probably only in the last year or two that I started texting. Sometimes I will send a text to my ex wife, and sometimes my little girl and I will echange texts (mostly it is just "I love you" type texts). I have a flip phone, so texting is not convenient. I also believe that people should pick up the phone and talk with each other.

My mom died a couple of months ago -- she was in her 70s and never texted. My dad is in his 70s and just learned how to use a cordless phone, so he has never texted.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:00 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,360,745 times
I was a BIG hold out...as are 2 friends still....makes it harder for everyone...they
are left out the loop often....and they feel it...always saying," Well, pick up
a phone and call me..no one tells me anything...what time are we meeting?"
It takes too much time from work to call and then I may have to talk for 20 minutes when I can't...when
I have time we can talk for an hour or more! That's great.

Now, texting has made my life SO much simpler. I love it.
And my emails come directly to my Smartphone.
I keep in touch with so many more people that are at work and we would never be communicating this much.

Sometimes friends are depressed (dying children)...they don't want to talk,
but want to text about their pain....one sentence of a texted support and
they say it helps them so much.

I lost touch with a friend bec she refused to learn how to email...she could
order online, tho!!

It also took me years to get Netflix, now I love it!
I resisted even wanting a laptop...who needs it!
Another complication! Now I love it!

I love a simple life and that is why I turn away from too much technology...then
I find out it actually makes it simpler!

Old 12-06-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I also believe that people should pick up the phone and talk with each other.
Same here. Or use email.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:31 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Send a message, wait 4 hours for someone to reply "ok", and I have to pay $40 a month for it? No thanks.
If you ever do change your mind, please shop around a bit.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Now, texting has made my life SO much simpler. I love it.
And my emails come directly to my Smartphone.
I keep in touch with so many more people that are at work and we would never be communicating this much.
Except I was only interested in discussing this with people who DON'T text. So why did you reply here?

Old 12-06-2014, 09:39 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,744,669 times
I text but do not like it, unfortunately when you are in sales or a service type job and your clients text you have to text. My wife also rarely talks on the phone and prefers texts. I do not like texts as it is easy to misinterpret someone's attitude, and it can take an hour for what should be a 5 minute phone call.

I also took all my email accounts off my phone, while I can still log onto the email through my web browser I just feel it is not a good thing to be so accessible all the time.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:42 AM

4,510 posts, read 5,047,659 times
I do not, but then I don't turn my phone on (still have a flip-phone) until I want to make a call. My carrier is the only one that texts me and I delete those without reading them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones