U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 07:46 PM

35,992 posts, read 36,085,319 times

Advertisements

Not only don't I have a smart phone but I go cold turkey away from any PC or Internet connection when I'm on vacation. I thought I'd miss it but I don't.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 07:50 PM

44,256 posts, read 57,114,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Not only don't I have a smart phone but I go cold turkey away from any PC or Internet connection when I'm on vacation. I thought I'd miss it but I don't.
I do this, too.

Truly disconnect. I usually go for a week to as island. In my snorkel bag, I stuff like 20 paperbacks.
Put my phone in the safe.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:01 PM
bjh

39,246 posts, read 25,809,718 times
I call them stupid phones. Maybe there's something Darwinian going on here. Imagine, walking off curbs, in front of vehicles, off cliffs, in front of stampeding wildebeests, up the ramps of UFO vessels. The sky really is the limit. Meanwhile it thins the herd. More and more people are sustaining injuries from "distracted walking." ---> Distracted Walking Injuries From Cell Phone Use More Than Double Since 2005

Old 01-30-2015, 08:13 PM

51,697 posts, read 13,966,285 times
I don't own a smart phone, stupid phone or any cellphone! All I have is a landline.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:16 PM

33,048 posts, read 13,856,224 times
Yes, it totally baffles me. I guess I don't have a lot of friends, I mean like 24/7 friends? Remember when we had to look for a pay phone when we had trouble or ran out of gas, I haven't even seen any for a long time now. We got along fine. My 4 yr old granddaughter is just know learning how to actually talk on the phone instead of skype. Sometimes she will be nodding instead of talking and I hear her my daughter saying you have to say the words, I think that's great.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:17 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,069,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
What's the deal with people being GLUED to smart phones?

At work, at grocery stores, etc.....people cannot look away from that screen. What are they looking at?

Please tell me it's not Facebook and Instagram.

I'm not insulting anyone I'm just trying to get a perspective.

What is it about smart phones that keeps people stuck on them?

Yes, I have a smart phone. I only carry it when I leave home and I never take it out unless someone texts/calls me.

What am I missing?
Obviously you haven't discovered all of the powerful features your smartphone has. So much can be done from the palm of your hand now, yet you refrain from exploiting its true potential. Humans are social creatures, most people are being social on their smartphones, posting pictures to Instagram, tweeting their thoughts on Twitter, reading the status of their friends on Facebook, exploring the arts of Tumblr, or maybe just Googling a question that popped into their head, or perhaps challenging a friend in a mobile game like Trivia Crack. Some people are a little too obsessive with their smartphones, but they are living their lives, connecting with people and sharing their thoughts. The advent of the Smartphone has really allowed people's opinion to become more open and public for discussion. We can connect like never before now.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:20 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,069,765 times
After reading all of the comments from posters on this thread I get the idea that this thread has attracted a much older crowd that likes to bicker about modern technology and all of its fallacies. I'd wager that more than 80% of this thread's posters are over 45.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:20 PM

44,256 posts, read 57,114,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
After reading all of the comments from posters on this thread I get the idea that this thread has attracted a much older crowd that likes to bicker about modern technology and all of its fallacies. I'd wager that more than 80% of this thread's posters are over 45.
We were waiting for you.
I am in my 30s.
I think phones are amazing tools.
I also think people who are faceplanted into them are amazing tools.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:45 PM

5,062 posts, read 3,068,670 times
As much of a zombie as smartphones apparently cause people to be when they're glued to them, if someone has the sense to be able to operate one of these, they should at least have the sense to know when it's not appropriate to be fooling with them (while driving, when someone is trying to have a conversation with them, during a family dinner, etc.).

Like many things, there's a tendency for the etiquette in using the technology to lag way behind the technology itself. And then, like so many things, once this gets way, way out of hand there's an over-correction of inappropriate behavior with all kinds of zero tolerance laws and policies. I'm just waiting to see what the breaking point for smart phones is going to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones