U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 10:19 PM

1,742 posts, read 5,356,495 times

Advertisements

How come for one person it gets sent as an imessage while the others send as text message? What really is the difference? Also why isn't the other person receiving the messages until I change each specific message to send out as a text message? How can I just set it to always send text messages as default?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 10:26 PM

4,537 posts, read 7,303,672 times
iMessages are exclusive to iPhones so if you send one to a Motorola, Samsung, Nokia (for example) phone it is sent/delivered as a standard text message. iPhone users can send all messages as a standard text message if they turn off the iMessage feature in their iPhone. No mystery here.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:02 PM

17,480 posts, read 31,232,539 times
What dontaskwhy is the bottomline. But iMessage does something else as explained below (link). If you have unlimited text service, then you don't have to use iMessage if you don't want. But if you have limited text service from your provider, then you still can send text messages using Wi-Fi at home or at work, which in turn will avoid being overcharged by your cell service provider. iMessage just makes it possible for you to send text messages through the Apple networks instead of your service provider.

Since I have nationwide unlimited text and voice, I don't turn iMessage on at the iPhone's Settings. When I look at my "Messages" settings on the iPhone, iMessage is turned off, and MMS Messaging and Group Messaging are turned on.

http://www.ianswerguy.com/imessage-difference/

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-31-2015 at 12:20 PM..

Old 02-13-2015, 09:04 PM

6,024 posts, read 3,134,004 times
is this still a bug:
Be Wary of Group Messaging in iOS 5 If You Don't Want to Reply All

it's annoying getting a dozen replies to a joke your not a part of.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:14 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,992,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
is this still a bug:
Be Wary of Group Messaging in iOS 5 If You Don't Want to Reply All

it's annoying getting a dozen replies to a joke your not a part of.
Have you actually had this happen to you recently? That piece is from '09 and so I doubt the same preferences are still in play.

Do you actually have an iPhone? If so, have you visited the Preference section for iMessage and have you set the perimeters you desire?

No one I know even uses iOS 5 for actual phone/messaging use any longer.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:18 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,080,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Have you actually had this happen to you recently? That piece is from '09 and so I doubt the same preferences are still in play.

Do you actually have an iPhone? If so, have you visited the Preference section for iMessage and have you set the perimeters you desire?

No one I know even uses iOS 5 for actual phone/messaging use any longer.
This is still the way group messages work in iOS (and is the way they're supposed to work). iOS 8 gives the option to choose not to receive replies to group threads though and also whether to leave the group message conversation. So yes that article he posted is obsolete today.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:03 PM

6,024 posts, read 3,134,004 times
sorry, the last time I noticed it was for thanksgiving. I don't have an ifone. I saw the thread in the merged science and technology section and thought my anecdote was helpful to the op but obviously the bug has been fixed so their issue must be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones