Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 11:34 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

I cannot believe I just discovered I had 8 messages from last week and only found out because I decided to check on my own. So I wonder why there is no red light or smybol letting you know that someone has left you a message? All the phone has is some visual voicemal app that you can tap to find out but I am used to notification.

I swear I regret getting rid of my blackberry phone and upgrading to this Samsung Galaxy Andriod mess because it's been nothing but problems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 12:34 AM

881 posts, read 1,814,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I cannot believe I just discovered I had 8 messages from last week and only found out because I decided to check on my own. So I wonder why there is no red light or smybol letting you know that someone has left you a message? All the phone has is some visual voicemal app that you can tap to find out but I am used to notification.

I swear I regret getting rid of my blackberry phone and upgrading to this Samsung Galaxy Andriod mess because it's been nothing but problems
Which Galaxy model do you have? I have worked on pretty much every model of the Galaxy, and they all have LED indicator for missed calls, voice mail etc. On Android, you can actually configure what app trigger the LED, and what color of LED.

Beside LED, there are usually push notification, and indicator on your lock page for missed call, voice mail. These are usually on by default. Did you disable the notifications or refuse to give permission to the app for notifications?

You can check the LED indicator under Settings->My device->LED indicator.

You can check other notifications by going to settings in whatever voice mail app you use. And also go to Settings->System Manager->Application Manager and find your voice mail app, and click it to see if the the "Show Notifications" is checked.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:31 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
My Galaxy S4 not only beeps/vibrates when a VM is left, and shows a status-bar icon, but
it also vibrates very briefly from then on, every time you pick it up as a reminder to check the status bar.

Check your settings.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
My Galaxy S4 not only beeps/vibrates when a VM is left, and shows a status-bar icon, but
it also vibrates very briefly from then on, every time you pick it up as a reminder to check the status bar.

Check your settings.

everything you just said makes me so mad at myself for giving up my blackberry phone

Old 01-31-2015, 12:38 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post

Check your settings.
Exactly. There's a voicemail icon in the notification bar that stays there until you check your voicemail.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Exactly. There's a voicemail icon in the notification bar that stays there until you check your voicemail.
Flashing lights are the best notifications when it comes to voicemail not having to go and check to see if I got a message

Old 01-31-2015, 01:32 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,868,948 times
Quote:
everything you just said makes me so mad at myself for giving up my blackberry phone
Did you misread what he said? I don't get why any of that would make you mad.

Also I just left myself a VM on my note 2 and it absolutely blinks the notification LED. It does all these things to help you realize you have notifications, how on earth can that make you mad?

I have my voicemail answered by google voice also, so it emails me and texts me, I never ever miss a notification if I am near a computer or my phone. Pushbullet sends it to chrome if I don't have outlook open on my desktop.

Edit: If you go to your app settings and go to contacts, go to Contacts, is show notifications checked?

If for whatever reason you want more control (different colors per person, etc) try Lightflow.

Last edited by adyn; 01-31-2015 at 01:45 PM..

Old 01-31-2015, 01:44 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,354,389 times
Quote:
Flashing lights are the best notifications when it comes to voicemail not having to go and check to see if I got a message
The light does flash until you attend to your phone. So when you first receive the voicemail, you'll have a flashing light.

How are you justifying that flashing lights are the best notification when it comes to voicemail? Is there are specific study that you are referring to, or are you just making that up?

Old 01-31-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
Did you misread what he said? I don't get why any of that would make you mad.

Also I just left myself a VM on my note 2 and it absolutely blinks the notification LED. It does all these things to help you realize you have notifications, how on earth can that make you mad?

I have my voicemail answered by google voice also, so it emails me and texts me, I never ever miss a notification if I am near a computer or my phone. Pushbullet sends it to chrome if I don't have outlook open on my desktop.
Im going to take the phone back to the T-Mobile store on Monday so they can help me with the notification process. All the things that I am having issues with using this phone never ever happened with the blackberry phone which makes me want to downgrade

Old 01-31-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
The light does flash until you attend to your phone. So when you first receive the voicemail, you'll have a flashing light.

How are you justifying that flashing lights are the best notification when it comes to voicemail? Is there are specific study that you are referring to, or are you just making that up?
My Phone is Samsung Galaxy Andriod and I have yet to see a flashing light
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones