U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 08:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,136 posts, read 62,077,613 times

Advertisements

I have never worn one out, but get a new one every two years. Each time there are more and better features, and the most I ever paid was $99, in several cases they were free. Currently I have a Motorola Droid Ultra. I may talk on it 3-4 times a week, most of my use is texting, email, internet and various apps.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 03:08 AM

27 posts, read 21,095 times
Hey there,
My smartphone is almost 3 to 4 years old, and it is working fine. Due to my bad habit of placing the phone in my back pocket, has disfigured the screen a little bit. There is a constant white line in the middle of the screen.

It all depends on how you use a smartphone. If you take good care of it, it will last longer.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:26 AM

4,537 posts, read 7,303,672 times
IMHO, if a user gets 3 years of use out a phone it is normal but not unusual to have one last much longer. When it comes down to it, it is usually cheaper to replace a broken device then to repair it. The device OS can become outdated and it is usually difficult to try to keep it updated after a certain point. I would never discourage someone to try to keep using their phone for as long as possible, but the manufacturers design phones (just like desktop or laptop computers) to need to be replaced more often than most of us actually want. This is commonly referred to as "planned obsolescence". We live in a disposable society today.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:34 AM

671 posts, read 744,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
IPhone 4 is still working well 4 years after we got it.

My daughters Galaxy S4 has had to be replaced once already, and the second one is acting up. I'm suggesting to her to use her old iPhone 4S until the contract is up.
The reason hers is acting up and not yours is because I imagine you're paying for it . When you pay hundreds of dollars out of your own pocket you tend to take care of things more. Whereas kids, they probably don't care as much because they'll just get a new one.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:57 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,079,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Really kind of surprised by some of these answers.

Galaxy S5. Period. Do not buy anything else. Get a Lifeproof or Otterbox case for it. Done. Enjoy it.
Why is this such a great choice? REMOVABLE BATTERY.
That is the biggest point of failure if you plan to keep a device a long time.
I'd like ZeusAV to tell me what happens when he takes his 3Gs to the Apple store to complain that his battery only last 3 hours. They aren't fixing that.
Actually they would offer to replace it. They still service iPhones dating back to the 2008 iPhone 3G.

Consequently I'd ask you what would happen if one called Samsung about repairing the USB jack on their Galaxy S2 or S1? Or HTC if someone had a problem with the EVO 4G or T-Mobile G1? Motorola with the Droid X? Or Google if you had problems with your Nexus One? Would they even acknowledge that the phone exists? They'd likely just laugh and tell you to buy a new phone.

That's the main difference. Apple provides an extremely long amount of time in regards to supporting their devices compared to all the other manufacturers. The only iPhone that they no longer service or carry parts for is the original iPhone 2G.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:45 AM

13,041 posts, read 15,151,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Actually they would offer to replace it. They still service iPhones dating back to the 2008 iPhone 3G.
They would offer you a refurb OF A NEWER MODEL. Just like Samsung\Moto\HTC would.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:17 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,604,779 times
I think I will get the iphone 6+ once my 5c contract expires. This time I'll buy the phone outright. Phone / data plans are getting cheaper and cheaper and I can use the phone as a mini tablet. Hopefully the 6+ will drop to a more reasonable price once the 7 comes out

Old 02-06-2015, 04:33 PM

14,072 posts, read 21,748,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
The reason hers is acting up and not yours is because I imagine you're paying for it . When you pay hundreds of dollars out of your own pocket you tend to take care of things more. Whereas kids, they probably don't care as much because they'll just get a new one.
Yeah right. The iPhone 4 was her phone before downgrading to the S4, and I paid for both of them. You're very wrong. She takes better care of the S4 than she did the iPhone.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:34 PM

14,072 posts, read 21,748,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin171 View Post
A Galaxy S5/Note 4 or LG G3 would be the way to go thanks to their removable batteries and expandable storage. Or a Nexus device for the newest software. Don't listen to the people recommending iPhones, they don't know what they're talking about.

Please explain why anyone should believe that you know anymore of what you're talking about than anyone else here.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:43 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Please explain why anyone should believe that you know anymore of what you're talking about than anyone else here.
Because Android. Or something.

This is really not that hard... If someone wants a phone that's going to last a long time, they should look at who has a history of supporting their hardware long term (Apple) and who has a history of providing software updates long term (Apple and Nexus devices).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones