Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 11:59 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,901,258 times

Advertisements

I'm curious, anyone have a smart phone four years old or older? Has it been repaired at any point? Are you a heavy user? Before buying a $700 phone I want to make sure it lasts 4-5 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 12:04 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,454,646 times
I actually have an iPhone 3gs that is still usable. That was released like 5 or 6 years ago. It has been heavily used for at least 3-4 years and a backup for the past couple years. No repairs at all. I'd say after 4-5 years you'd want to replace a battery so maybe something with an easily replaced battery would work better than an iPhone.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:29 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,481,866 times
I still have an iPhone 3GS and 4S that are working fine. Some people even still have the iPhone 2G (original iPhone) that's still running.

So they'll all last well beyond 4-5 years. Maybe at some point the battery may need to be replaced though depending on usage and how much it degrades over time.

Good thing about using an iPhone for a long time is that Apple supports them longer than other manufacturers do their phones. Even today one can go into an Apple Store with the iPhone 3G from 2008 and Apple will repair whatever is wrong with it. Based off history you'll also get at least 3 years of iOS software updates for your iPhone from Apple (i.e. the iPhone 6/6 Plus will likely be updated at least until iOS 11).

Old 02-03-2015, 01:06 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,901,258 times
So the phone doesn't really wear out, just the battery? I have read a few people have replaced the " home" button at the bottom of the screen but have not really read any long term users experience. It seems people replace their phones before they wear out for newer faster models.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:02 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
For long term support, go with an Apple device. They'll support the hardware for years and you'll get software updates for several years as well.

Compare that to Android, where manufacturers focus on churning out the next new thing and quickly abandon existing devices. Many never run current software. If you do want to go Android, your best bet software-wise is a Nexus device.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:20 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,348,030 times
The Nexus 5 or Nexus 6 is the way to go. Great phones that will always get the latest software updates without slowing the phone down. The Nexus 5 is particularly attractive because it only costs $350 outside of contract, contains good hardware, and will not break when you drop it. Software updates have actually made the Nexus faster. Historically, Apple's updates slow down the performance of their phones over time... but you should be able to get 3-4 years out of them before that's a problem (assuming you go with the iPhone 6/6s).

Old 02-04-2015, 08:42 AM

16,496 posts, read 19,557,895 times
Really kind of surprised by some of these answers.

Galaxy S5. Period. Do not buy anything else. Get a Lifeproof or Otterbox case for it. Done. Enjoy it.
Why is this such a great choice? REMOVABLE BATTERY.
That is the biggest point of failure if you plan to keep a device a long time.
I'd like ZeusAV to tell me what happens when he takes his 3Gs to the Apple store to complain that his battery only last 3 hours. They aren't fixing that.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:54 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,486,797 times
No way should you have to pay $700 for a cellphone of any kind. Providers are anxious to get you on board or seduce you from the competition. The list price on a phone is a talking point only. My starting point was a long term Verizon contract for two lines started back around 1998. We have gotten free phones every two years, most recently through Tiger Direct instead of Verizon. We have stuck with Samsung for the last couple of cycles and have never had a failure. I like the android for the replaceable battery and optional memory chip. I just got 32 meg chips off eBay for $9.75 each.
Add a rubber case and a screen protector and don't carry it in your butt pocket and you should be fine.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:03 PM

15,409 posts, read 25,706,083 times
IPhone 4 is still working well 4 years after we got it.

My daughters Galaxy S4 has had to be replaced once already, and the second one is acting up. I'm suggesting to her to use her old iPhone 4S until the contract is up.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:12 PM

735 posts, read 651,421 times
A Galaxy S5/Note 4 or LG G3 would be the way to go thanks to their removable batteries and expandable storage. Or a Nexus device for the newest software. Don't listen to the people recommending iPhones, they don't know what they're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
No way should you have to pay $700 for a cellphone of any kind. Providers are anxious to get you on board or seduce you from the competition. The list price on a phone is a talking point only. My starting point was a long term Verizon contract for two lines started back around 1998. We have gotten free phones every two years, most recently through Tiger Direct instead of Verizon. We have stuck with Samsung for the last couple of cycles and have never had a failure. I like the android for the replaceable battery and optional memory chip. I just got 32 meg chips off eBay for $9.75 each.
Add a rubber case and a screen protector and don't carry it in your butt pocket and you should be fine.
Buying a phone upfront for $700 is cheaper in the long run for most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones