U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 09:28 AM

685 posts, read 621,929 times

Advertisements

1. Geeks (pls.): Do I really need this release? I tend not to trust them (worked in IT for my career). My guess is Apple lists part of what's in the OS and it's the unknown that's an issue.
2. I'm trying to load the OS on the iPhone. It keeps saying, the network is down when it isn't. I attempt to join it and I'm, "unable to join the network" . But it's up. Other apps. not stored in a buffer or cache (I'm assuming some form of that exists on the phone) and they do come up. I downloaded a Facebook update (heavens forbid- not on my phone !) and another my partner wanted. But the OSX is just nuts.
-- Is it a memory issue?
3. Is there some sort of app. on the phone that shows iPhone activity - memory utilization, space available, graphic information showing speeds, etc. Windows has it and I can use something on the Mac in Utilities to see this. It may help me debug what the heck is going on.

Thanks, folks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 09:41 AM

13,170 posts, read 15,269,436 times
1. Yes. I would think working in IT you would be MORE trusting of a bug fix release, not less.
2. Reboot the phone. Are you on WiFi? If yes, turn it off. Turn it back on. If not, get on WiFi.
3. Not really. You can see what's using battery, how much memory is used by your apps, but something like a Task Manager? No.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
1. Yes. I would think working in IT you would be MORE trusting of a bug fix release, not less.
2. Reboot the phone. Are you on WiFi? If yes, turn it off. Turn it back on. If not, get on WiFi.
3. Not really. You can see what's using battery, how much memory is used by your apps, but something like a Task Manager? No.
Peregrine, Thanks for your fast response. Working in IT and seeing some of the stuff that went into the release that wasn't reported in the updated OS or app. was frequent enough. IE (for example) wrought havoc on our Windows computer, so I stopped using it and switched to FF. So, nope, I trust them less.

Phone has been turned off and on (problem determination #1 for many issues is a reboot). What's weird is I was able to download three updates and they went on flawlessly. But the OS... no dice. TASK MANAGER! I couldn't remember the name but that's what I'm looking for. That's the Windows monitoring software. I'll look for the comparable but I don't think I'll find it on the phone.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:47 AM

14,120 posts, read 21,867,134 times
It works fine on my 5c. Why not use iTunes to update if over the air method isn't workinh?

Old 02-06-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
It works fine on my 5c. Why not use iTunes to update if over the air method isn't workinh?
I believe that's the safer answer here. Thanks.

Peregrine (hope I spelled that correctly - falcon): Let me go back to why I don't trust OS downloads. It began with my partner complaining about two apps. not working properly. Downloading the two apps. was simple enough - just not used to doing it on the smartphone (and I'll use iTunes next time). She also wanted me to load the OS X (in desperation, I guess). With the latest OS X installed, there are four new icons pushed that weren't mentioned in the Learn More (I have it opened on mine now and I'm not installing it). There's nothing mentioned in it about the apps. being pushed onto the phone.

I moved the useless apps into a box where other useless items reside and I will ream the guy who told me the standard line of load the OS and refresh a couple of apps. that weren't working. It's the standard line and he wasn't thinking. He just was a robot.

It probably doesn't bother most other folks. It often creates time-consuming issues for me.

Thanks to you both. I'm done with this stuff and learned some things from both of you.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:51 PM

17,727 posts, read 31,419,670 times
If everything fails, just reset the iPhone to factory settings. Just make sure that you save your contacts. Since you have done IT work, you should easily be able to enter the account network data and other stuff-after you have downloaded and installed all the OS upgrades.

But if the problem is not that big, just backup the iPhone to your computer before you reset it and install the OS upgrades, then restore from the computer. But as I said before, if you know what you are doing you should just restore it to factory settings, and then setup the network settings and data, contacts, and so on manually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones